
The limo pulled up to a door near the back of the arena. Christoph opened the limo door for them, then they were greeted by Jon's body guard and a few other people. There were a few fans hanging around by the door so they were ushered into the arena very quickly. Katie thought how surreal the whole celebrity life must be as they rushed into the building, walking quickly down the hall to where the dressing rooms were located. Once in the main backstage area everyone relaxed a bit. Brandon and Sophia looked around wide eyed once again. Jesse had taken off, but Steph hang back quietly. The area was full of people rushing back and forth carrying clothing and instruments among other things. There was a table of food set up and despite the fact the kids had just eaten Jon encouraged them to check out the desserts. Becca was standing next to Katie when she felt a pair of strong hands grab her around the waist at the very moment a pair of warm lips kissed her on the cheek. She looked over and spotted David.
She turned around giving him a big hug and kiss on the lips. He picked her up in his arms, hugging her tight. "Mmm, it's so good to see you, Becca! I have missed you." He spoke low just for her to hear. He was already dressed for the show and was going to grab a bite to eat. "Why don't you join me and have a bite? We can catch up in my dressing room." He said with a wink.
Knowing she wasn't interested in food, but rather some time alone with David, she waved to Katie and the kids, "I will see you guys shortly, I'm sure."
Katie gave her a knowing glance and wave, then turned back to Jon and the kids. Sophia was asking Stephanie questions about the backstage and the two of them drifted off. Jesse and Brandon were checking out the dessert table.
Jon put his arm around Katie's shoulders giving her a gentle squeeze. "They'll be fine. I informed the staff to let them have free reign. And they will keep an eye on them. What do you say we relax for a few in my dressing room? I'll have to get ready soon enough."
Katie nodded, excited to see more of the backstage happenings. Jon led her to his dressing room and offered her a seat. She sat down and looked around at the racks of clothes and numerous guitars. There was a full length mirror near one of the racks. Jon pulled up a chair next to her and sat down.
"Wow." Katie said, still looking around. "So this is where the man transforms into rock star extraordinaire."
Jon gave her a sheepish smile, "I suppose you could put it that way. But I need your help since this whole thing was your doing. I need wardrobe assistance." He said, his lips formed into a sly grin.
With an excited look on her face, Katie jumped up and started looking over the racks. She smiled, recognizing different shirts from the last couple of tours. She pulled out a blue gauze shirt, a black studded vest, and a gray Under Amour shirt, handing them to Jon with a satisfied smile on her face. She knew if he really took her advice, most of the fan club would be very happy tonight. Spotting a rack with scarves and bandannas on it she grabbed one to add to the pile. Spotting one more rack she snatched the infamous Shady Brady and plopped in top of the pile. Jon laughed out loud as she made her way to the rack the pants hung on it. She rummaged through it until she came upon a pair of snug boot cut blue jeans. She let out a satisfied "Ah ha!" when she spotted them.
"Well, that didn't take you long" He laughed out loud. "I might need assistance getting dressed, too." He said, challenging her.
"Well, I'd be happy to oblige, but I doubt you will be alone in here at that point." She laughed.
"You have a point." he admitted reluctantly. Sometimes the rock star gig wasn't all it was cracked up to be, he thought. He would love some alone time with her tonight. Just as he let out a sigh the door opened and his assistant entered.
Jon introduced her to Katie and said, "I'm sorry, sweetie. I need to go over a few things with the crew." He apologized as he handed the pile of clothes to his assistant.
"No worries. I will be fine. I should find the kids anyway." She assured him.
"Let me get Obie. He will help you out and seat you before the show. But afterward, I am claiming at least one kiss with you alone!" he whispered as he lead her out into the main backstage area once more. Katie nodded in agreement.
Obie was found in short order and she was left in his care.
Jon gave her a quick kiss on the lips, "I will see you after the show. Ok, baby?" Katie nodded, returning the kiss.
Obie gave her a quick tour of the area. They greeted Tico and Richie at the buffet table. Katie spotted Steph and Sophia talking to Carol. Steph was even laughing. The boys weren't anywhere to be seen.
Richie informed her, "The rugrats are helping pick out my guitars and hats for the night. I figured it was best to put them to work." He teased.
Just then Obie informed them it was 20 minutes to show time and suggested they get seated. They rounded up the kids and found Becca in David's dressing room. Obie escorted them to the front row along with Carol, seating them front and center.
"Now just let any of the staff here know if there is anything you need, ok? I have to go in the back to make sure the sound and light guys are all set. Someone will come to take you backstage after the show." He said as he rose to leave.
"Thank you, Obie, for everything." Katie said. He waved as he made his way to the back of the floor.
Carol was chatting with a few fan club members seated behind them and introduced them to Katie and Becca. The kids were engaged in their own conversations, looking around excitedly. Before they knew it the lights started to dim. The crowd started to cheer, even louder than a regular concert. Katie realized the stadium was filled with only the truest fans, and had a feeling they were in for an amazing night. The screams intensified as dark figures were seen coming onto the stage. Soon the first cords started and the spotlight went on. Katie felt the floor vibrate with the movement of the audience, their excitement mounting as Jon took the stage. He was wearing the blue jeans, black vest and the shady that Katie had picked out.
By this point they were all standing and Sophia came over by her mom, grabbing her arm, screaming, "Oh my God, mom. OH MY GOD!!!" She jumped up and down. "This is amazing!!!" Steph laughed at her reaction and pulled her back over to stand next to her.
Seeing Jon swagger to the mic, Katie felt the same excitement mounting as she had felt all those years at every concert she had attended. Up there he wasn't the Jon she knew. He was a super star. She grabbed Becca's arm and screamed, Becca joining her. Katie couldn't take her eyes off of him. He was the hottest, sexiest man she had ever seen. His jeans looked painted on and the vest showed off his ripped biceps. Katie thought she might swoon and pass out right there. The electricity in the air was intoxicating. Carol stood next to her dancing and clapping along with the rest of the fans. She never tired of seeing them perform. Jon came over to the edge of the stage and blew Katie a kiss, then took off for the other side of the stage like a panther on the prowl. After the first song ended, Katie relaxed a bit. Jon's kids appeared to enjoy the show, but Brandon and Sophia were jumping around like lunatics. She loved how much fun they were having. It warmed her heart to see them enjoy the experience.
The band launched into the next song, playing the lesser known tunes and less mainstream hits than a regular concert. The audience appeared more than pleased with the selections of the night. Jon took a break while Richie played a couple songs from one of his albums. Jon emerged afterward on a platform in the middle of the floor, and launched into Bed of Roses. A lucky fan got a dance, leaving her shaking as she went back to her seat. Katie watched it all, not feeling one bit of jealousy. She knew he was a true performer and played to his audience. Hearing the song caused her to blush slightly, when she remembered him singing to her in Rockport.
Nearly three hours after the show began, and two encores, the stage lights went down for a final time. A staff member quickly escorted them around the stage to the back where the band was gathered, toweling off and chugging water.
Jon joined Katie, giving her a quick kiss."I would hug you, but I am kind of stinky." He apologized.
She started laughing, giving Becca a knowing glance. Becca started laughing along with her, unable to stop. Still drugged up on adrenaline the two of them laughed until they had tears running down their cheeks.
Finally able to recover, Katie looked at Jon, "Sorry. Inside joke."
Jon just shook his head as he took a swig of water. "So what did you think? Do you think it was a success? Did we please the masses?" Jon inquired.
Katie nodded, "I think you more than pleased the masses. It was the most amazing night." She said, "Thank you!"
"My pleasure, baby." He drawled, giving her a lazy smile. She took a moment to admire his sweaty self, then turned to find the kids. All four of them were lounging on a sofa, looking completely exhausted.
Jon noticed the kids as well. He knew his were going back to his parents' house with his mom. But doubted Katie's would make it through the after party.
"Baby, we are having an after party at a joint owned by a friend of mine. I understand if you guys don't want to come by, but you're welcome if you want to." Jon offered.
Carol overheard and piped up, "The kids seem to be getting along famously. Why don't I take them all back to our place. If they are willing, of course."
Katie pondered the idea for a moment and nodded, "If they want to, I don't see a problem. I don't have any clothes for them with me, though."
"I have tons of things for Jon's kids, I am sure something would fit." Carol offered.
"Ok, then. If they want to, I'm fine with it. Are you sure it isn't a problem?" Katie asked tentatively.
"Not at all, dear. You kids go out and have a good time." Carol said, then walked over to the kids.
The kids all seemed excited at the prospect, even Steph nodded, willingly even if not totally enthused. Katie thought she could just be tired, though, like the rest of them. She went over to talk to the them and make arrangements for the next day. Carol said she would drop them off at the penthouse after lunch. After hugs and promises to be good, Carol and the kids were accompanied by Jon's body guard on their way to a waiting car. Jon and the rest of the band excused themselves for quick showers in the locker rooms before they headed out to the bar. Becca and Katie chatted with Obie while they waited. After everyone was freshened up, the limo took them to a local bar, owned by a good friend of the band. It was closed to the public that night. Katie learned from Jon that they used to play there occasionally when they were just starting out. Katie sat back in the buttery leather seat snuggling up next to Jon. She smiled as she thought about the night, feeling like she was sort of living in a dreamland. One she hoped never to wake up from. The limos, the star treatment, being backstage. All of it was still a bit surreal to her. Exchanging glances with Becca, she could tell Becca was thinking the same thing.
Arriving at the bar, the limo pulled into the alley next to it. They got out and entered through a side door, trying to avoid any further encounters. They were greeted by and introduced to the owner and staff. He led them to the back of the bar, seating them at a large round table. David sat down and pulled Becca into his lap, while Jon sat next to Katie. Jon let out a deep sigh as he sank back into the chair.
She put her hand on top of his and smiled. "You look a bit tuckered out there, cowboy."
He nodded, "Not as young as I used to be. And that was a long night. I loved it, but I am tired." He admitted. It sure didn't show when he was up on stage, running from one side to the other, dancing and shaking like he did, she thought.
Drink orders were taken and the old jukebox cranked up. After a few sips of wine Jon perked up. He stood up taking Katie's hand and pulled her out to the dance floor just as a Frank Sinatra song came on. Dave and Becca followed suit.
After a while Becca came over to Katie, "Kat, David invited me back to his place. You don't mind, do you?" She asked, knowing Katie must want to spend some time with Jon as well.
Katie shook her head as a giant yawn took over. "Oh, gosh. No, go. Come by the penthouse after lunch. I think we are all meeting there." Katie said, hoping Jon didn't have any plans after the bar.
Jon noticed David and Becca leaving, and gave Katie a hug, whispering in her ear, "Does this mean you are all mine now?" he growled.
"If you will have me." She smiled up at him.
"I can't think of anything I want more. Let's get out of here, huh?" He all of a sudden looked very impatient. They bid Tico, Richie and the rest of the crew goodnight. Christoph dropped them back to the penthouse, stopping at the hotel so Katie could pick up a few things. Once inside the penthouse they went directly to the bedroom.
Jon sat Katie on the edge of the bed, "Before we turn in, I have something for you, Kat." Jon said, "I'll be right back."
He left her wondering what he was up to now. She had a sudden realization that with the excitement of the weekend and all, she had totally forgotten it was Valentines Day. He came back into the bedroom and sat next to her. From behind his back he handed her a long black box.
She looked at him, sheepishly. "I don't have anything for you. I forgot! I feel like such a heel." she said, taking the box.
"Oh, darlin'. You have given me the best gift I could ever hope for. Looking out there tonight knowing you were there, is the only gift I ever need." He said, leaning in to kiss her deeply. He sat back, "Now open it, will you?" he said, smiling impatiently.
She pulled the red ribbon off and lifted off the top. She let out a gasp when she saw the gift. A diamond hugs and kisses style bracelet lay nestled in the box. "Oh my God, Jon." She exclaimed, looking up at him, her emerald eyes sparkling as brightly as the diamonds. "It's beautiful."
She couldn't say anything else, so leaned over and kissed him, hoping he could feel her thanks. He returned the kiss, pulling her into his arms. Eventually he pulled back, and taking the box from her, took out the bracelet and clasped it around her wrist.
"It only compliments your beauty, Kat." he whispered, leaning her back on the bed to devour her mouth once again. They made love slowly, both exhausted from the long day.
Chapter 57


3 comments:
Yea! So glad to see you're back! Hope life is a bit easier for you. Enjoyed the new chapters.. here's to more to follow!
Thanks for reading!! There is lots more to come, that I promise! The story is not even close to being over. Hang with us over this busy bump and we promise many more chapters! :)
Great chapter!! Thanks for the updates. I wonder if Steph is really ok with things. I love this story & can't wait to see what happens next.
Colleen
Post a Comment