Monday, May 4, 2009

Chapter 75





Monday morning, after spending most of the weekend hiding from the world with Jon at his penthouse, Katie was back at work. She had no sessions booked that day, but her and Becca had decided to do some spring cleaning of the studio. Becca was due in at any time. Katie poured herself another cup of coffee and watched the sun filter through the leaves of the trees over the side garden, the spring flowers mostly spent by now. Letting out a long sigh she thought about all the changes that would eventually take place in their lives with the wedding and all. Jon had sworn that they could work things out without her having to move the studio, house and uprooting the kids. He had calmed her fears, yet so much remained uncertain. One thing he had said to her over the weekend stuck in her mind, Our life will be a bit crazy. I am not around 24/7 like a normal husband. She knew that, of course. Of course he wouldn't be around 24/7. He was Jon Bon Jovi, rockstar, philanthropist, actor, father, among so many other things. And now he would be a husband, once again. Her husband. Wow, she thought, struck by that fact for a moment. The realization still knocked her off her axis once in a while. She closed her eyes and said a silent prayer, Please, God, give me strength and direction through this. Give us the strength to figure this all out. Jon was not worried about it at all, she knew that. He was so used to traveling and sleeping in different places. She knew he often missed home and family when out, but he seemed built for it. Opening her eyes, she let out one more sigh. Well, she would just have to be ok with not having everything all planned out and organized. She would have to be flexible and ready for change. After all, she loved him more than anything in the world and knew that he was as dedicated to her as he was to everything else, certainly even more so. Think outside of the box, Katie, she told herself. Enjoy the ride.

Just then she heard the studio door open and in walked Becca, looking all tanned and rested. As a matter of fact, she almost seemed to glow.

Katie put her coffee down and went to give her friend a welcome home hug. "Well, look at you! You look wonderful." She said as she held Becca at arms length, looking her over.

Becca returned the hug and looked back at Katie, "Thanks, hon. What a trip!" Becca smelled coffee, "Let me get a cup of java and we can catch up."

Katie relaxed on the settee while Becca got settled, then joined her.

Becca gave her another quick hug and looked at her intently, "You look like you have a weight on your shoulders, Kat. You ok?"

Katie shook her head, "I am fine, nothing is wrong. Tell me about your trip!"

Becca studied her, then said, "Ok. But you can talk to me, you know."

Katie smiled, "I know, silly. I will tell you about it after I hear your vacation report. It is nothing, really."

Becca nodded and told her about her weekend away with David, the beach, the evenings, everything. "Kat, it was just amazing. We had so much FUN! After spending all that time with Dave I see how funny, yet sweet and deep he can be. He is really so easy going and cool."

"And sexy, hot in bed." Katie said, laughing.

Becca blushed a bit through her tan, "Well, yeah...that too." She said with a chuckle. "Ok, so that is my report, now tell me what is knocking around in that head of yours, Kat. Everything ok with Jon?"

Katie sat against the back of the settee, "Yeah, everything is fine. Wonderful." She hesitated for a second, trying to put words to her uneasiness."I think I am a bit uncertain about how everything is going to fall into place. There are a lot of things to take into consideration. And while I would not ever trade this, I think I just need to know how it will all play out, you know?"

Becca nodded, she knew Katie better than Katie knew herself sometimes. "Ah, I see. I know you. You are so used to being in control, being organized, planning everything out. You are feeling all jittery and twitchy because there are some unknown variables that have to be worked out. And not everything fits nicely and neatly into your little box." She had to laugh a little to herself. Katie needed to learn to let go and relax a little bit. Becca could see it was really nothing more than that. But that control was hard for Katie to give up. "It will be a challenge, I'm sure. Many changes coming. But remember, life is not always perfectly choreographed, sweetie. You are going to have to let go a bit, go with the flow. Everything will fall into place, you just have to let it happen."

Katie smiled, how was it that Becca knew her so well? And knew just the thing to say? Of course, she was perfectly right. She made it all sound so simple. Yet, Katie realized, it really was when laid out in front of her that way.

"You right. I have control issues. I just need to learn to relax a little bit, huh?" Katie admitted, looking at her friend.

Becca nodded in agreement, "Yeah. You do. I see you two together. You will work it all out. Sure, life will be different. But heck, look at how amazing it will be. Change is not always a bad thing."

Katie's face clouded over for a second, "But what about the kids........?"

"Kat, you have always made sure they were safe, secure and happy. You will continue to do so. Jon will not interfere with that. As a matter of fact, they adore him. This could enhance their life in more ways that you even know."

"Again, your right." Katie said, suddenly feeling relieved. Becca was correct. They loved Jon and the kids now all got along well. Sure, there would be rough patches, perhaps. But they would work through it. "Ok, your pep talk did its job. Lets get busy." Katie said, hopping up, ready to get to work.

Becca followed her, shaking her head. Sometimes Katie got in her own way, she thought. Well, she told herself, she would make sure to pull her back to reality if, and when, Katie needed it. She had been doing for well over 15 years already, so why stop now.

Later in the week as Katie was sitting at Sophia's soccer game, her cellphone rang. Seeing Jon's number she answered it, "Hey Baby" She was greeted with that sexy voice.

Lowering her voice a bit and walking away from the other parents, she answered, "Hey, cowboy. How are ya? I miss you." She said, her voice just above a whisper.

"I am good, but I miss you too, something awful, baby. Are you ok? Your so quiet." he sounded concerned.

"Nah, I am fine. Just at Sophia's game. I don't really want the whole team listening to our conversation." She chuckled. People left her alone for the most part, about Jon. She really didn't want to see their conversations or news in the local gossip column or tabloid.

"Of course, I didn't realize. I can call back later." He offered.

"No, its fine. I am away now."

"Ok. Well, I was going to call you tonight anyway, but I wanted to run something by you. I know we have the date, but I was going to have mom book the Inn. What do you think? I know we said small and private. So unless you think we need to get othersinvolved with the planning, I thought maybe we could just at least book it, and then talk to my mom. She is awesome at coordinating things like this. But take it as only a suggestion, Kat. I just want to be involved and make things easier on you." He said.

Katie thought for a minute, well of course that would be helpful. Carol was used to planning fan club functions and events for years. But there was that little issue of control, Katie thought. Maybe reading her thoughts, Jon said, "Mom can help with the leg work, calling people, all of that. She won't step on your toes, Kat. She isn't like that."

"You know, Jon, that would be wonderful. I think she is just what we need. I am so busy through the summer, and she would be a big help. It won't beelaborate anyway. No big showy ceremony for me, as long as you are ok with that." Katie said.

Jon laughed, "Baby, my first marriage took place in a chapel in Vegas. I am not one for showy."

"Good point." Katie answered. "Then lets go with it." Carol and John Sr. had been thrilled with the news when Jon and Katie had called to tell them over the weekend. Carol had welcomed her into the family and offered to help in any way that she could. Katie could see that help being very valuable. Especially with figuring out households and everything else they had to deal with. To have that one piece off her plate would be a huge deal.

"Great. I will tell her to call them, and then get in touch with you about everything else. You do whatever you want and it will be fine with me." Jon said. He wanted the day to be special for her. Both having been married before, he wanted this day to be about them, not about fanfare. He knew that would suit Katie, too.

"That is great, Jon. Thank you for doing that. It eases the load a lot." She admitted.

They hung up and Katie watched the rest of the game. Jon was driving down for a day this weekend so they could break the news to her kids together. Then the next week Jon's folks were hosting a cookout for the rest of Jon's family to announce it. Jon was going to talk to Stephanie before the cook out, but would tell the boys when they told everyone else. She was a little nervous about the reactions of Jon's family. But figured they would take their cues from Carol and John, who were very accepting and happy for them. Letting out a big sigh, she reminded herself, just breath....

Sunday morning there was a light knock on the backdoor as Katie was putting coffee into the coffee maker. The kids were still asleep. Still in her yoga pants and tank, Katie went to see who it was. She opened the door to find Jon standing there, a big smile on his face. She wasn't expecting him for at least a couple more hours.

"Hey, cowboy, your early. What a nice surprise." She smiled as he wrapped his arms around her.

"Mmmmm, you smell so good." He said, burying his face in her sleep tousled hair.

After a lingering greeting, Katie poured Jon a cup of coffee, even though he told her got up at 4 a.m to drive there. "Your crazy, Jon. I was sound asleep at that time." she admitted.

"Crazy in love with you, baby." He smirked as he snuck a quick kiss across the island. They made their way to the porch where they sipped their coffee and chatted. After a bit Katie left Jon to grab a quick shower before the kids got up. No one had any games or practices today, so they decided to tell the kids over breakfast, then take a ride. Sophia had plans with a friend and Brandon was going golfing with his dad for a few hours.

Jon sat on the porch swing enjoying the view of the woods and listening to the birds. He could see why she loved it here so much. It was very peaceful. Despite the fact that he was used to traveling around the country for his busy schedule, for concerts to charity events, as he got older he found himself craving down time a bit more frequently. Even he knew that his crazy schedule would eventually take its toll on him. The challenge would be slowing down enough, yet keeping himself busy enough to feel fulfilled. He had always lived to work. To be busy. Do make a difference. While he still felt that same drive pumping through his veins, he also rather liked the idea of more down time with Katie. He had done a bit of thinking during the week before driving up to Boston. He knew Katie was unsure how everything would work out once they got married. Having always loved the Boston area, he could see himself spending a good deal of time there. It felt right. And he had figured that New York and Jersey was not so far away that he couldn't be there in an hour by plane when the need arose. He had booked his usual hotel in Boston and was planning on staying through Tuesday, even though Katie didn't know yet. When the kids went to their dad's house on Monday, he figured it was time to run some thoughts by her. More than anything he wanted to reassure her that life was not going to be turned upside for her and the kids. He hoped she was open to his plan.

Just then Katie came back downstairs, her hair still damp. She looked so damn sexy in a pair of denim capris and a tank top, he thought. Cute sexy, as only Katie could pull off.

"What do you say we get breakfast going?" She suggested. "I am starving."

"Sounds good. I do make a mean waffle, if I do say so myself." he stated.

"Then lets get busy." She said, heading to the kitchen. She got the waffle iron down for Jon and then rummaged in the freezer for sausage. The yummy aroma eventually lured both kids down to the kitchen. They both seemed surprised, but pleased, to see Jon. Sophia poured herself a cup of coffee while Brandon downed a glass of orange juice in a minute flat. Katie shook her head, boys. They were like human vacuums.

Once breakfast was on the island, they all pulled up stools and dived in. As they finished up, Katie decided it was time to spring the news on them.

After one more sip of coffee, she said, "Brandon, Sophia, Jon and I have something we want to talk to you about."

Sophia paused mid bite, "Are we going on another vacation?"

"No." Katie said, "Something a bit different than that."

Brandon scarfed down the last of his hash browns, took the last sip of juice and awaited the news. Sophia put her fork down, sensing this news was bigger than anything they had heard in a while.

Katie felt Jon's hand on her back, encouraging her. "It is good news. At least we think it is. There will be some changes and such, but we think in the end you will both be very happy and....

A light bulb went off for Sophia suddenly as she heard her mom stumble over her words. Sophia burst out, "Your getting married! Am I right?" She said, nodding confidently.

Katie halted mid sentence, her mouth open. "Uh, well.....yes! Yes, that is the news. Jon proposed to me few weeks ago and I accepted." She said, smiling.

"Am I good, or what?" Sophia bragged as Brandon swatted her. Sisters were such a pain sometimes, he thought.

Jon laughed, "I just want you both to know that I love your mom and am honored she said yes. I care about you two very much and want you to know that we will think of you both while making any decisions or changes. And we will consult with both of you before big decisions of any kind are made."

Sophia answered his explanation with a big hug as she came around the island and threw her arms around him, herself a little teary. "I am so happy. Really. Gosh, mom has dreamed about marrying you for YEARS!" Sophia added.

Jon looked at Katie as if to say, Oh, really. He returned the exuberant hug, "Thanks, Sophia. That means the world to me. It really does."

Brandon waited for his sister to be quiet so he could get a word in, and finally said, "That is cool! Really cool!"

Katie let out a sigh of relief. She knew they would be cool with it, but when making a big change to their lives, it is always a mother's job to worry. "I am glad you guys are ok with it. We have a lot to work out, but like Jon said, we will keep you both involved all the way."

The kids both hugged Katie and then sat down, chattering away. Katie thought about how lucky she was to have such great kids. They were accepting of most anything and greeted life with enthusiasm. She hoped the same would hold true for Jon's kids. But she had a feeling, even with the turn around, Stephanie may not welcome the news quite as easily.

Later, Jon told Katie he was staying at the hotel and would be around until Tuesday when he had to head back to New York. She was more than thrilled to have the extra time with him. Her fears of all the changes and details were slowly subsiding. Jon seemed committed to a smooth transition for them all, and for that she was thankful.

Monday night as Katie closed up the studio, Jon's car zoomed into the driveway. He came in the door dressed in a black t-shirt, shades and snug jeans, still looking every inch the rock star.

"Hey, pretty lady," he greeted her with a kiss. "What do you say you let this boy take you out to dinner?" He had found out about a quiet little restaurant attached to country store a few towns away. He heard they had wonderful food and figured they would likely be left alone. He wanted to talk to her about some ideas he had.

"That sounds wonderful. Let me just get the lights and I am ready to go." Katie said then closed up the studio.

After being seated and ordering a bottle of wine, Katie checked out the restaurant. "Nice place. How did you find it?" She asked Jon.

"I have my ways." He said, smirking.

She knew that by now. His "ways" had a name, Christoph. "Well, tell Christoph he done good." She said, returning his smirk.

He laughed, she was getting to know him very well. He reached across the table to take her hand, "Kat, I wanted to take you out tonight to run a few ideas by you. I want your input." He paused, waiting for her reaction.

She looked intrigued," Ok, sure."

"I know you have some concerns about how everything is going to work out. But I've been thinking about it, a lot. I hope you will hear me out." He paused, taking a sip of his wine. "As you know, my life can get a little crazy. But you know I love, so much. I don't expect you to give up your whole life and move for me. I don't want to do that to you or the kids. I know how important your business is to you and the kids have their dad, school, their friends, all here. I don't want to disrupt any of that." He said, pausing to let her speak.

Katie loved him for saying all of that. "Jon, that is a wonderful sentiment. And I really do appreciate it more than you know. But I do understand that somethings will change. I just figured we will work it out." She tried to reassure him. "I know that we both have to make sacrifices. I accept who you are. I would not have said yes if I didn't."

"I know, baby. And that makes me love you all that much more." He knew how hard it was for her to open herself up to change. The fact that she was willing to do just that said volumes about her love for him. It touched him deeply. "But hear me out. I have thought about this, and when it comes right down to it, it might be easier to work out than you think."

She was willing to listen, that was for sure. Anything to make the meshing of two such busy lives, easy, was a good thing in her book.

He continues, "After the wedding I will move up here to Boston and live with you and the kids in the carriage house. We may have to do some changes and renovations, but I think it could work well. I will keep the penthouse in New York for when I have go there for business, events or what have you. I can move the main part of the business side of things here to Boston. You already know there are times of the year that I travel, and during tour years, those times will be more extensive. But that is why this makes so much more sense." He slowed, wanting to see what she thought. "So what do you think?"

Katie took a moment to let all he said sink in. "Wow, Jon. I don't know what to say. I am so touched that you came up with this. I don't expect that though, I hope you know that."

"Kat, if you think about it, it is actually much easier for me to move myself and my work, than it is for you. And really, Boston is not that far from New York and Philly either. That is if the Soul can even makes it comeback. Don't forget, that is why I have a plane. Makes travel much faster and easier."

She was thoughtful, he had a point. "But what about the kids? Your kids? This plan works great for mine, but not so good for yours, I would think."

"Honestly, Kat, they live with their mom most of the time. She isn't moving. They will still go to school at their school, have their friends, all of that. Again, I do have a plane. It wouldn't be that much more difficult for them to come here when I have them. Or even in New York at the penthouse if I am there working. I don't really see all that much changing for them. That is where some of the thoughts on the carriage house come in to play though, we are going to need a good deal more room than you have now. Of course this is assuming you still want to live there."

Wow, Katie thought, he really did have it thought out. She could see how this might work. "Well, yeah. I mean I don't care if we need to sell it or renovate. I have 30 acres of land all together, Jon. If you don't mind the location, I am fine staying." Her mind started reeling with all the possibilities.

"Whoa, 30 acres is impressive. I don't mind the location at all. It is perfect, frankly. And your studio is right there. I think it makes the most sense." He confirmed.

Just then their dinner came. Katie felt a great sense of relief. She looked across the table at the man she had dreamed about as a young girl, drooled over as a young woman, and was about to welcome into her life as her husband. Over the years she had learned more about him as a person, how caring and giving he was. Some people said he could be moody, and was a perfectionist. While she knew all that to be true, she also knew that his heart was huge and that he would do anything for someone he loved. That realization humbled her. Here he was, a world famous rock star. He could live anywhere, do anything he ever wanted. But he loved her and was willing to conform his life to hers. His willingness to do that made her think about her trade off. That being her life would remain intact. But she would have to accept his life as well. The long days and weeks of travel, and him being away from her. The pulls from so many others on him. Not even just his kids, which she fully accepted, but charities, the Soul, the band. She loved all that about him and vowed that if he could sacrifice, so could she. Not only had he made a dream of hers come true, but he had also helped her grow more in the last year as a person, than over her whole life combined. A year later she was a more open minded, flexible human being.

Not able to find the words for her overwhelming emotions, she simply mouthed the words, thank you for loving me....

Chapter 76

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous chapter!! I love how you have described how much Kat has grown. And wow, it's awesome that Jon has thought so deeply about the changes upcoming in their lives. Shows his heart is really into it.

Thanks for the chapter. Hope all is well with you both and that mom & baby are doing well.

Colleen

Pictures & Prose said...

Thank you, Colleen! That means a lot to us! We will try to get another chapter up this week. Just a little slow going now being so busy on both sides. Thank you for reading!! :)

Y said...

Oh Lord, I have caught up, I was hoping that you would write faster than I could read but once I started reading I could not stop.
I really admire you both for writing when your own lives are nearly as crazy as Jons, new business & a new baby, but thank you.
Love the story and selfishly am asking for more,please.
Y

Anonymous said...

Hey girl do you think you can give us a new chapter please? I miss these two:(

Lisa Marie said...

Funny you should ask. We are working on one tonight. Hopefully it will be completed and published later tonight. Check back! ;)