
As she left her friend, Becca got a text from David telling her he would meet her at her hotel room later. David was in town for a private celebration after winning his Tony awards for Memphis, and he had asked Becca to join him, making a weekend in the city more convenient than Jersey. Becca dropped her room key on the Queen Ann table placed by the door to the hotel suite and headed for the Victorian style sofa in the seating area, kicking her shoes off on the way. Letting out a sigh, she grabbed the remote and curled her feet underneath her, absent mindedly massaging the arch of one foot. It had been a long week. As happy as Becca was for Katie branching out, it left a lot on Becca’s shoulders at the studio. She was taking up some of the slack with Katie’s portrait clients, plus her own workload. In time things could be reorganized to shift the load, but the transition would be a bit difficult. Especially with Katie getting married in just a few weeks, right during the busiest time of the year. She could see that this was going to take off for Katie, even if Katie didn’t know it yet. Becca made a mental note to chat with Katie next week. Letting her body sink into the gentle firmness of the sofa, she closed her eyes for a few minutes, just to rest them. The last thing she remembered hearing was the honking of horns, far below her on the busy New York streets.
Slowly rousing from her slumber, Becca’s eye lids fluttered open, noticing the light had changes, the sun now low in sky, casting long shadows on the walls. The raised her head slightly to look at her watch, 6:15. She had not realized how tired she was. David was due any minute and they were suppose to go out for dinner. Sitting up slowly, she eventually headed to the bathroom to freshen up, hoping a cold splash of water and a diet coke from the mini bar might wake her up. She was in the bathroom freshening up her make up when the door closed softly. She looked up into the mirror and saw blond curls behind her. A slow smile spread across her face as David came up behind her, putting his arms around her waist and kissing her gently on the side of her neck.
“Mmmmmm...” she moaned gently as she felt his warm lips on her skin. Becca turned around in his arms, smiling up at him.
He looked down at her, his golden curls tickled her cheeks as he planted a kiss on her smiling lips. He noticed she looked tired.
“Why don’t we get room service tonight, Becca? Tomorrow night is a must do, but tonight is a don’t have to do.” He suggested, pulling her closer to him, his stocky arms encircling her small frame. He smiled, and tickled her cheek with his curls again, making her giggle.
“Ahhh, David, that sounds heavenly. Do you mind much?” She said, her voice thick with relief.
“Not as long as I have you curled up in my arms all night long, how could I want anything else?” David smirked.
Becca let out a hearty laugh. “Jon must be rubbing off on you, Mr. Romance.” She shook her head, thinking he sounded like a romantic ballad in the making.
“Hey, seems to work for him in getting all the girls.” David said, a big grin on his face.
“Not this girl.” she said, a sly grin on her face.
“Well, this is the only girl that matters to me.” He said, “tell me, what does it take to get this girl?”
Becca twirled a single golden curl in her fingers, and with a saucy smile on her lips, said, “You may just have to wait and find out there, poodle boy.” she then shimmied out of his arms and padded away down the hall to the bedroom suite, her hips moving seductively under the conservative skirt as she walked.
He couldn’t see the smug look on her face, but followed her, “Hey, p..p..poodle boy?? Where did that come from?” She turned and gave him a little wink and then continued on to the seating area.
“Poodle boy?” He asked, feigning offense, as his long stride caught up to her easily. Grabbing her waist he turned her around in his arms and attached her neck, causing Becca to dissolve in a fit of giggles.
He finally let up his attack. Breathlessly, Becca said, “I thought we were going to relax tonight...your getting me all hot and sweaty.”
“I think I said we could stay in tonight, I didn’t say anything about relaxing...” He said, a mischievous grin on his face as he pulled her back to him.
“Ooohhhhh....”
Saturday found Katie on the phone with the promo company booking more sessions in the city. Jon smiled as he walked past her while she sat on the sofa, computer and calendar spread out in front of her. After her last call she leaned back into the sofa and closed her eyes, her head spinning. Jon tiptoed up behind her and planted a kiss on her forehead. She opened her eyes, giving him a gentle smile.
He circled the sofa and sat next to her, “I hope you left room for one more important appointment.”
Her eyes widened in slight horror, “Oh, what did I forget?”
“I have you booked for a very important event.” He said, his face serious.
Shaking her head, she reprimanded, “Uh, you need to check with me before scheduling me for things, Jon.”
Jon let out a slight giggle, “Uh uh, cowboy, this is serious. I am booked solid over the next month. I don’t have time for another thing.”
With a smirk, Jon said, “Well, this event is sometime near the end of Oct. All day kinda thing. May go late into the night....”
Katie’s eyes narrowed as she caught on to his little joke. “Oh, you think your funny, don’t you?”
He leaned over to kiss her on the cheek, then said, “I think I am downright hilarious.”
Not able to stop herself, she smiled at him, “You can be pretty funny when the mood strikes. I will give you that.”
He put his arm around her shoulder and gently massaged it, his voice more serious.”Things seem to be really taking off with your new venture. Be careful, baby. I know you, you tend to drive yourself into the ground. I know your excited, but just remember to relax.”
Letting out a slight laugh, “Look who is talking, Mr. can’t-sit-still. You can’t stand more than a month of idle time, and your itching to get back into the studio.”
He shrugged his shoulders, “Nah, that is just to keep Richie out of trouble.”
“Sure, blame it on Richie. Poor Richie.” She teased.
Jon answered with a slight smile, still massaging her shoulder, “Hey, Kat, I have an idea.” She turned toward him, curious. “Why don’t you talk to Becca and suggest she join you? Your already partners and she does this stuff all the time. She has a great style. Might take her career to the next level as well. You would make a great team. She doesn’t really have a big tie to Boston, does she?”
Katie wrinkled her brow thoughtfully, slowly nodding. “You know, cowboy, that is not a bad idea. And no, not really. Some family, but really, I am going to be commuting. She could easily go back and forth as well. That is not a bad idea at all.” She said, thinking some more. “Yeah, we could expand this branch of the company, but still keep the studio there for local work. That would allow more clients, she could shoot here when I am in Boston.” She looked at Jon again, “Your even pretty smart sometimes, cowboy. Not a bad business head on those yummy shoulders” She said approvingly.
“Thanks. A few have mentioned that before.” He chuckled, “You might want to run it by her first, though. You know, let her have some input into her life plan.”
“Very true. I will call her later. I have a feeling she may just go for the idea, though..” Katie said, half to herself, her mind reeling.
Later that night, in a limo speeding down the expressway, David and Becca curled up in the backseat after their celebratory evening. Feeling slightly tipsy, and very tired, Becca curled into the curve of David’s arm, holding a glass of bubbly that he had poured for her.
She took a sip, the bubbles tickling her nose. “Congratulations once again.” She said, raising her glass to him.
He gently clinked his glass with hers. “Thank you. And I mean that. Thank you for coming tonight. It was perfect having you there to celebrate with.” He looked down at her, admiring the warm glow of her cheeks, perhaps from a bit too much champagne.
“I wouldn’t have missed it for anything.” She said, smiling up at him. He leaned over, covering her lips in a gentle, slow kiss. As he pulled back, he thought, tonight he was going to talk to her. Everything felt so right and perfect, he knew he was making the right choice in talking to her.
The limo sped through the city back to the hotel. Once back inside, Becca kicked her shoes off and made her way to the balcony. Being on the 32nd floor, the view of the night city sky was specular, the lights all spread out below her as far as her eye could see. David removed his own shoes, poured a couple more glasses of champagne and joined her on the balcony. Becca took the glass from him with a smile as a thank you, and leaned on the tall railing.
David took a sip and enjoyed the view for a moment, then turned toward her. She looked at him, returning his smile, enjoying the night air. She noticed David’s face looking very thoughtful.
“What is on your mind? Those brain cells look like they are working hard under that pretty hairdo.” She inquired.
“Oh, they are.” He answered, quiet for a moment, then went on,”Becca, I have been thinking about something for a bit now. I would like to ask your opinion on something, if you don’t mind.” his gaze becoming very serious.
Not sure what to make of his sudden change of mood, she said, “Sure, what do you got?” She said, turning to face him.
David offered his hand to her and led her to a wrought iron table that was flanked by two chairs. He pulled out one for her and then pulled the other around next to her.
“Well, forgive me for the serious mood, but there has been something on my mind for a while now. And I think it is time to talk about it.” She listened intently as he put his glass on the table and took one of her hands in his. “I have really enjoyed spending time with you this past year, Becca, and getting to know you. You have become very special to me. You know I love you. I don’t make that a secret.” He said, taking a deep breath. “But, in my opinion, I don’t feel like I see nearly enough of you.” He stopped, waiting to see her reaction.
She smiled, “Aww, Dave, I feel the same way.” She did too, she thought. He was so much fun to be with, such a character. He just made her smile. He was sort of a rock to her.
“Well good.” He said, mentally noting he was happy she didn’t disagree.”Because I think I have a really good idea to remedy that situation.”
Becca took a sip of her champagne, and let out a soft. “Ohhhh?” her expression a bit uncertain.
“Yes. I think it would be a really wonderful idea if we moved in together.” He spat out, not able to figure out a very eloquent way to say it. He then watched her, his face as serious as a cat stalking it’s prey. “So what do you think?”
“Uh, I think.....wow...I think that is quite a big idea.” She said, not easily finding words.
His face looked a bit stricken, he said, “Hmm, that doesn’t sound like you think it a wonderful idea though.”
Becca bit her lip thoughtfully, “Well, no...I mean NO, not that I don’t think it is. just that...” she stopped, trying to gather her thoughts.”...just that....well, in some world I think it would be a wonderful idea. But in our world, how would that work exactly?”
“What do you mean, how would it work? We would inhabit the same living space. “ He said.
“Well, ok, captain obvious.” She lightly teased, her thoughts coming together a bit easier. “I get that. I mean more, how? Your live here, I live there, you work......all over the place...I work in Boston.” She had to admit to herself the thought had crossed her mind, thinking with how much she wanted to be with him, just what was the next step going to be. Seems he had been thinking about it too. “Listen, Dave, I do love you, and I want to spend more time with you, like, lots of time. I can’t lie and say I haven’t thought about what is next with us. I have. I guess I just didn’t get as far as actually formulating a plan.”
Letting out a sigh as if he has been holding his breath, he felt a bit relieved with her answer. “Well, I haven’t exactly worked out a plan either. But I figured if the idea didn’t make you run away, maybe we could work out the details together.” He said, that enthusiastic, silly grin she had come to love, plastered on his face.
She smiled, nodding, “Oh, ok. Well, yes. I think I could be convinced to chat about it some more.”
Satisfied with that for now, David nodded, curls bouncing, “Great! Lets put it on the back burner for tonight and, eh, retire for the evening, shall we?” Still smiling he leaned toward her and planted a gentle kiss on her cheek.
“That sounds like a great idea.” She agreed. He stood up and took her hand, leading her back into the suite, where he planned on working a bit more to convince her what a great idea he has offered.
Katie was awake at the crack of dawn on Sunday. She wanted to get in a quick run before heading back to Boston and the kids. After her run, she showered and had breakfast with Jon on the balcony. On the way to the airport she decided to try to call Becca, hoping she was awake.
In the hotel Becca was welcoming the morning in a bit gingerly, feeling the effects of a bit too much champagne from the night before. She heard her phone in the other room, and gently slipped out under David’s arm and tiptoed into the sitting room.
Not looking at the number, she answered in barely more than a whisper, “Hello?”
“Becca, did I wake up?” realizing she must have, Katie went on anyway,”Oh, sorry, I did. But I have to talk to you about something really quick. I am heading home but I have an idea. Well, Jon had the idea. But I think it is a great idea.”
Rubbing her eyes, Becca tried to clear her sleepy head. Did Katie know about this too? And what did Jon have to do with it? “Oh, no, I was awake....kinda. What is this idea? Did David talk to you, too?” She said, slowly closing the door to the bedroom, then sat down on the sofa.
“What? David? What does David have to do with anything?” Katie asked, confused. Not waiting for her friend to answer, she sped forward. “No, this is my idea, and Jon just thought of it. But it is a really good idea.”
Realizing Katie was talking about something else, Becca asked, “Oh never mind, OK, tell me your idea. Excuse the background noise, I need coffee in a bad way.”
Katie laughed at her, “Fun night?”
Becca nodded, being gently with her head, “You could say that. This much fun should be illegal.”
“That good, huh?” Katie said, impressed. “Ok, well, this is the idea. I have had no less than ten inquiries for bookings since Friday from this agency. Becca, I can’t take them all. And that is when I thought of this idea, well Jon did. But again, it is a great idea!”
Becca took the cup from the one cup coffee maker and added cream and sugar, taking a long sip. Her head thanked her, letting the warm liquid ease the slight throbbing. “So tell me already, what is this fabulous idea?”
“I think you should work with me here in New York. We should be partners and you could be here to shoot when I am back in Boston. We are already partners really, and this way we could take on even more clients here. And Becca, see this is a step up from what you are doing in Boston now. This could be really good for you, too.” She said, excitedly. “So, what do you think?”
Her poor brain struggling to wake up and process all the information, she sat down on the sofa and took another sip of hot coffee. “David asked me to move in with him last night.” She said, almost matter of fact.
“Whaaat?” Katie screamed. “He asked you to move in with him? Oh my God, what did you say? Where? Becca, that is WOW.”
Holding the phone a bit away from her ear, Becca slightly chuckled to herself. Her dear friend was so excitable sometimes. But her ears were not quite ready for the shrill sound.
When Katie took a breath, she jumped in.”I don’t know where. We didn’t talk where, or even really, how. Umm, but I said I was willing to discuss the idea. I don’t really know much more than that....we, were, uh, busy, after that.”
“I bet you were busy!” Katie laughed, “So you said you would discuss the idea. That means that you aren’t against it.”
“No, I am not against it. I just never thought about it really, so it will take some processing.” Becca admitted.
“For sure. But listen, back to my idea. See, this could really work out in your favor, sweets.” Katie thought out loud.”Yes, if you came here and worked with me, then you could move in with David here in New York, or New Jersey, where ever you two decided. I think it would be perfect! Tell him, yes, you will do it.”
Becca couldn’t help but laugh, “You have it all figured out, huh, Kat?” But she had to admit, neither idea was a bad one. Both at least deserved careful consideration. “I am not opposed to the idea. Lets talk more about it this week, K? I am really not functioning at 100% yet and think I need a shower.”
“Ok, I will let it sit for now. But I think it sounds like an amazing plan and we need to talk, ok?” Katie confirmed.
“Defiantly. Even tomorrow when I get back in to the studio. lets get lunch in and hash it all out. But I think I like the direction you are going.” Becca assured her.
After she hung up with Katie, David strolled out into the sitting area in PJ pants on the bottom and nothing on top, his curls tousled from sleep. He sat down next to Becca, putting his arms around her. He whispered in her ear with a smile,”Do you remember what I asked you last night?”
She leaned her head on his broad shoulder, and answered with her own smile. “Yes. I remember. And the answer is yes....”
Chapter 84


2 comments:
This is awesome, I can't wait for more,
Andrea
Awwww...who could resist those curls? Glad she said yes.
Just found this one & am really enjoying it. Hope to see more soon.
Genie P
Post a Comment