Saturday, September 12, 2009

Chapter 77




The first thing Katie did on Monday morning was block out the Thursday and Friday of that week for herself. As much as Jon tried to convince her this was going to be easy and low stress, she knew better. Maybe he was used to having five irons in his fire, but she wasn't. She scrolled through to Thursday on her phone calendar and typed in "Rockport." First things first, she needed to organize her brain. Friday had the label of "Stuff." What stuff, she wasn't sure yet. But it wasn't work stuff. She also moved her Saturday session to the week after, leaving the weekend wide open to spend with the kids. She was feeling the need to regroup and touch base with her family, her life. As much as New York had helped her put things into perspective, it had not filed her thoughts in any reasonable order at all. Inns, dresses, weddings, home renovations, step-kids, and not to mention, her business. She let out a sigh as the doorbell signaled her first session of the day. She looked out toward the studio, not looking forward to her work today, then put on a smile and went to greet her client.

Back in New York, Jon packed an overnight bag as he got ready to head out to Philly for a couple of days. There were rumblings of the future of the AFL being in severe jeopardy. And despite the fact of the SOUL going out as champs last year, the new season had never appeared. News of more trouble of the financial state of the AFL had hit the news wires over the weekend, and Jon knew he had some fancy footwork to do with the Soul. It was looking more and more like the end of the AFL was very near, just short of an official announcement. The administration was down to a skeletal crew and SOUL Foundation was in desperate need of reorganization. No one else could do that but Jon, and he knew it was time to face facts. The SOUL foundation was near and dear to his heart and he could not bear to see it go down with the SOUL and the AFL. The rest was tragic enough. He had scheduled meetings with lawyers to change the name of the foundation so he could keep it alive and keep helping those he felt were so strongly in need of it. He tossed in a last few items and zipped the leather duffel bag up, taking it to the front door where he deposited it. Grabbing a sport jacket and a pair of sunglasses, he called down to Christoph. He gave one last look around the room as if to make sure he wasn't forgetting anything, swung the bag over his shoulder and left, knowing the sooner he did, the sooner things could get back on track.

On the way to the airport, Jon gave Katie a quick call, getting her voicemail, "Hey, baby. I am off to Philly for a couple of days. You can get me by cell. I am headed there to take care of the Foundation, not looking forward to it. Its a sad day, indeed. Anyway, I will try you later. I love you, Kat."

As the car speed past the tall buildings, Jon noticed the current song playing on the radio. The voice sounded familiar, yet he couldn't place it. He listened intently. It was good. Very good. The last cords drifted over the airwaves and the DJ broke in, "That is new music, folks. The Jack Miller Band. New band, new stuff. I predict we will be hearing a lot more of them in the coming future."

Jack Miller Band....Jack Miller....Jon tossed the name around on his tongue. Then a light bulb went off as he dug his wallet out of the back pocket of his jeans. Rummaging through piles of old business cards he finally came across it. The card that singer at the seaside cafe had handed him in Rockport just a year ago. Jack Miller. Sure enough, it was the same voice. He was sure of it.

He leaned forward to tapping Christoph on the shoulder, "What station was that, Christoph?"

Christoph glanced at the rear view mirror after a quick check at the radio. "That was Z108, Sir. Any reason?"

"Nah, just curious. Thanks." Jon said, as he fumbled for a pen in his jacket pocket, then scribbled Z108 on the back of the card. Nodding to himself, he put the card back in his wallet, in the front this time and stuck it back into his jean pocket. The airport was approaching and he had other things on his mind at the moment.

Despite being tired, Katie made herself get out of bed early on Thursday. Brendan was at overnight camp for the week and Sophia was at a friend's house, after seeing a concert the night before. Katie wasn't picking her up until later in the afternoon. So after a quick cup of coffee and a bowl of cereal, she grabbed a note pad and pen, then headed toward Rockport for a few hours. She felt a great sense of relief to be headed somewhere besides the studio today. Not bothering to park near downtown or the wharf, she parked by the rocky point overlooking the harbor instead. Picking her way through the brush, she eventually found a secluded, breezy spot on the rocks. Hidden from the main path, she relaxed and breathed in the salty air. The day was slightly overcast and a bit cool for July. Perfect, Katie though. The tablet sat on the rock next to her as she watched the boats leaving, heading out for a day setting lobster traps and fishing. She let her thoughts wander for a while, not dictating their direction. She felt edgy, discontented almost. She couldn't put her finger on why. But realized she had been feeling that way for a while. It took a few minutes of probing her thoughts to realize she had felt that way before, usually when she felt the need for a change, or a shake up in her life. Something different. After a few minutes thinking about the upcoming wedding and Jon, she still couldn't figure out just WHAT was making her feel that way. She thought ahead to her next week, that was jam packed with sessions, and realized, it was her job. She could feel a small sense of dread in the pit of her stomach. She laid back on the rocks and watched the gulls circle overhead, most likely looking for a handout. It had been quite a while since Katie had spent any mental energy on thinking about her business. For the past year she had really just stuck with the same old routine, same old ideas. The studio was doing well, but she realized she was not enjoying it as much as she used to. The last year had been spent focusing on her relationship with Jon, all the changes taking place in her life, the kids and how they were taking it all in. She had neglected the very thing that used to hold the most passion for her. She sat up and grabbed the notebook, clicking the pen as she began to jot down ideas. Maybe if she came up with some ideas for new sets or a new promotion, something different, she would look forward to the busy fall season that was quickly approaching. Holding the pen poised above the paper, she realized the ideas weren't coming. Eventually she closed the notebook and decided to take a walk. Maybe it was just all the changes and plans going in her personal life right now. Perhaps she was just too occupied with everything else. She made a mental note to take fewer clients for the next couple of months. That would give her some breathing room and time to organize all the changes in her life, and decide what, if any, direction she wanted to change with the business. Spotting her favorite cafe, she decided to stop in for an early lunch and an iced tea. The waiter seated her on the porch overlooking the bay. She noticed a young woman setting up a mic and guitar, getting ready to entertain the lunch crowd. It brought her mind back to a year ago when she remembered listening to the young man sing a song on that fateful day.

Back in New York on Friday, Jon had just finished up a run on the treadmill and showered. Rubbing a towel over his damp hair, he walked into the living room looking for his phone. He sat on the sofa and looked out over the city before spotting it on the side table. He dropped the damp towel on the arm of the sofa and picked up the phone dialing Katie's number. He had not talked to her in a couple of days and wanted to hear her voice, even if was just her voice mail. He was slightly surprised to hear her real self answer.

"Hey there, cowboy!" She smiled into the phone.

"Hey, baby. How are you? What are you doing? I am shocked you answered. I figured you would be hard at work." He said, pleasantly surprised to speak to her and not have to leave a message.

"Actually, I am sitting on the porch swing reading a book." She said.

"Really. Slow day at the office?" He asked.

"No, not really. I took the rest of the week off. I went to Rockport yesterday and am just hanging around here today relaxing and catching up on some house stuff." She admitted lazily.

"Well, good for you!" He said, thinking she deserved it, she worked so hard. But it was unlike her to put business on hold unless she had a reason. "Any special reason? Everything ok?"

She put the book down and leaned back against the arm, stretching her legs out on the swing. "No, nothing is wrong. Not at all. I just felt like playing hooky for a few days. That's all. Just not having as much fun with it lately, and thought a break might do me good." She told him, not admitting to how good it had felt to be away from the studio. "How did things go in Philly? I know you were dreading it." She ask, changing the subject.

He noted that she didn't seem to want to chat about it, but he wouldn't let it drop just yet. "It went fine. You know, it was tough, yes. But it is what it is. It isn't the time for the Soul right now. I got the name of the Foundation changed and everything is still in place to continue on its own now. It is now a separate entity, not affiliated with anything or anyone but me and the people that run it. It was sad. But hopefully we can still do some good things, you know?"

She nodded as if he was sitting next to her, "Well, that is good that you can continue on. I know it is a big let down, the Soul and all."

"It is. But like I said, it is what it is, right? In the end it is also a business. And sometimes you have to do what you have to do in business. You have be flexible, willing to change and try different avenues, you know?" He said, shrugging his shoulders.

"Yeah. I guess that is true." she said, her mind thoughtful. Without realizing it he had hit the nail right on the head with what was bothering her.

"Your quiet, baby. Tell me what is on your mind? I am glad you took some time off, but what sparked it? Talk to me." He said, sounding concerned.

She let out a sigh, "I think you just said it, Jon. I have been feeling kind of bored with the business for a while. I haven't spent any time in the last year really revamping it or changing anything. I used to be so passionate about it. But lately I feel like something is missing. Maybe I need to change things up a bit. I don't know."

"Ah, I see." He understood now. She had put everything she had into her business before he came along. "Have you ever thought about trying a different avenue? Another type of photography? Remember how much fun you had that day you went out in the city with the model? There are so many things you could do." He offered.

She listened to his suggestion, he was right. There were many different areas of photography. The one thing about her craft that she loved was the different directions photography could take a person. "Yeah, I did enjoy that. I just don't know what else I would want to do. Or how to do it." She said, thoughtfully.

"Don't forget, Kat. If I can be of any help at all...you know, I could get you in touch with people." Jon said, knowing she would take it the wrong way the minute it left his mouth.

"Oh no, Jon. I will not having you setting me up with a job. That goes against everything I have worked for in my business." She responded.

"Wait, Kat. I didn't mean it that way. I just meant if you wanted any help finding a company or people to talk to about your ideas. I don't need to sell you, your work can sell itself." He explained.

Feeling silly, she said, "I am sorry. I know you didn't. Sometimes I jump to conclusions, you know me."

"You know, baby, whatever you want to do is ok with me. You know I will support you in any way I can. Even if you wanted to take a break from the business, I support your decision. I just want you to be happy. I do know how much you love your work though, and I will do whatever I can to help you succeed. Whatever you want to take from that you can. Because you know I will offer whatever you ask. " Jon assured her.

"I know, Jon. I appreciate that." She said, her voice barely above a whisper. She did know he would do anything she asked, would provide any opportunity she wanted in an instant. She also knew if she ever took him up on that, her business would become meaningless to her. She was a self made woman, and would accept no less for herself or her career. "You may have an idea, though. I might talk to Becca about doing some work with one of the agencies she works with. Just to try something different."

"That is a great idea. Those pictures you did for me last year turned out amazing. You have real talent, Kat. No matter what the subject." His compliments were not wasted on her.

"Your too kind, cowboy."

"No Kat, I speak the truth. I have worked with many, many photographers over the years, and you have what it takes." He insisted.

"Well, I do know these couple of days off have been good. And I will talk to Becca this next week." The more she thought about it, the more it sounded like that may be just what she needed. A change.

They chatted for a few more minutes before hanging up. After the call, Katie called Becca to suggest getting together for dinner. Katie wanted to run some thoughts by her.

Jon sat down at the dining room table where his laptop sat. He started it up and did a search for the Jack Miller Band. Finding a web site, he checked out their calendar of performances. Seeing a club not far from him, he jotted the date down on his calendar. I might try and stop by, he thought, liking what he heard on their site even more than the song he had heard on the radio. He perused the site, checking out their promo pictures. I know someone that could showcase them a whole lot better, he thought, with a slight smirk on his lips.

Chapter 78

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo. So glad to see you are continuing with this story. I love Kat & Jon's relationship. Truthful, open & honest.

Thanks for updating!!! Can't wait to read more!!

Colleen

Pictures and Prose said...

Thanks, Colleen! I am getting back into a grove. Even have another story knocking around in the old brain. We should be on a better schedule now that the kids are back in school. Routine is good! lol Thanks for sticking with Katie and Jon!!

Anonymous said...

SOOOO GLAD YOU'RE BACK!!

I've enjoyed this from the beginning and have checked for new chapters faithfully for the past few months! Love that the Fall school routine is here!