
Katie pulled up next to Becca's car in the parking lot of the restaurant. The kids had not been pleased to be left behind, despite her ordering takeout pizza for them. She felt bad, but knew she would have the whole weekend with them. And she really needed to talk to Becca. Her best friend and business partner, who knew more about her as a person, and an artist, than just about anyone. After parking Katie entered the restaurant and spotted Becca already at a table waving for her. Katie waved back and weaved her way between the tables, sliding into the booth across from her friend. Becca had taken the liberty of ordering Katie's favorite chardonnay. Katie took a quick sip, then let her body relax into the back of the booth seat, letting out a sigh. Becca watched her, a small smile understanding on her face. She could tell something was on Katie's mind when she had called about dinner plans. Katie smiled back, feeling like she could finally let out a deep breath.
"So, tell me, what is on your mind, sweets. I can tell you have something rumbling around in that mind of yours." Becca said, ready to listen.
Katie let out a slow breath before she spoke, "I took off yesterday and today, if you didn't notice."
Becca nodded, "Yeah, I saw that on the calendar in the office when I stopped by the studio today. Any special reason?"
"I think I need a change. I have not been into work lately. I almost dread next week which is crazy busy for me. I haven't been excited about it in quite some time. I don't know what is up." Katie admitted.
"Huh. Have you ever thought that you may have other things on your mind lately? Like getting married to one of the biggest rock stars in the world?" Becca chuckled, thinking herself smug for pointing out the obvious. Katie did not appear amused.
"Well, thank you, captain obvious. As if I didn't know that." Katie slightly snapped at her friend.
Becca's smile faded, "Kat, listen. I am sorry. Ok, obviously you have a lot on your mind. I guess all I am saying is cut yourself some slack. You have a lot going on right now."
"I know that. But that isn't it. No, I feel stuck, stagnant. I am craving something different, something new. I just don't know what." Katie said, irritated with herself more than Becca.
Becca nodded, "Ok. Well, would some time off help clear the air for you? I can take care of things at the studio. I just can't take on many of your clients because I have had to turn away promo work lately, I am so busy."
Katie cocked her head a bit, thinking. "Becca, that's it. Even Jon suggested it. Maybe I should try my hand at something else. Promo work used to be my worst fear. But I have to say I really enjoyed Jon's shoot last years."
Becca snorted as she started laughing during a sip of wine. "HA!"
Katie shot her an evil look, "Not because of that, you ninny! I enjoyed the creativity of it. The edginess." Thinking, she tapped her fingernails on the table. "Could you help me try some more work like that on for size?" Katie's expression softened.
Becca didn't look convinced, "You? The one that used to complain about their egos?"
Katie rolled her eyes, "Yeah, I know. But honestly spending time with Jon and the boys, getting used to THAT world, I have a bit of a different perspective now. I think I could handle it. Come on, what do you say?" Katie begged her friend.
Becca didn't think it was a bad idea at all. As a matter of fact she knew Katie's work rocked. Even the model shots she had done in New York last summer were amazing. And it might be fun to work on the same thing for a while. "But what about your current clients?" Becca said, concerned.
"I don't think I am ready to jump ship or anything. I think I will keep my current clients, just not push for new ones right now. And I will book a lighter load, take more time." Katie said, sounding quite sure of herself. She had to admit, the though excited her to an extent.
Becca studied her for a moment, then said, "Ok. Then let's do it. You said your crazy next week, but why not book out after the wedding for new clients and I can start referring some work your way. "
Katie's face lit up, "Wonderful! Just tell me when I start!"
"Whoa, there. Slow down. I will set you up with one or two shoots the week after next, ok? Just to take it slow and see how you like it." Becca laughed at her enthusiasm. She wasn't quite sure what had gotten in to Katie. But maybe this is what she needed.
Katie went home after dinner at least excited about the prospect of trying something new. It was the first time in a long time, at least photography wise.
The next week Jon was scheduled to take the kids for the week, then would fly to Boston over the weekend to spend some time with Katie. That Friday night after dropping the kids back off with Dot, Jon went for a long run, then took a quick shower. He was originally going to fly into Boston that night, but decided to check out the new band he had heard on the radio. He wrapped a towel around his toned waist and went to his closet, rummaging for something club worthy, that would not make him stand out. Settling on a pair of dark wash Levi's, a black t-shirt and black sports jacket, he completed the outfit with a pair of worn black leather boots. Running his fingers quickly through his damp hair, grabbing his wallet and sunglasses, he was out the door. He would be driving himself tonight, not wanting to draw any any attention to himself. His Beemer was waiting out front when he got off the elevator. He placed the shades on his chiseled face and zoomed off into the city night.
Knowing his fair share of club owners, he was ushered right in the backdoor of the club, though he chose to sit out front, off in a dark corner. The Jack Miller Band had already taken the stage, opening for another act that would come out later in the evening. Jon put his sunglasses in the pocket of his jacket, leaned back into the chair, and rested his foot on his knee, listening, as the waiter came up. He placed his order, all the while listening. The club was dark, not full, but the people there seemed to really enjoy the music. Jon watched the reaction of the crowd as well as the performance. He liked what he saw and heard. It was the same Jack Miller he had seen a year ago in Rockport, but this time he was backed up with a full band. They were tight, he thought, very tight. As they played the last song and prepared to leave the stage, Jon rose from his seat and spoke with the club owner, then disappeared to the back of the club. He went into the room the band used as a makeshift dressing room. A couple members of the band had went straight for the bar to get a drink, but Jack went in the back, entering the room while he wiped the perspiration from his forehead with a small towel. It took him a second to realize someone was already in the room.
"Hey." he said, greeting the man. Then looked closer as Jon walked toward him, his hand extended.
"Hey, Jack, right? Jack Miller? Not sure if you remember me or not, but I saw you last year in a one man gig in Rockport, Mass." Jon took the hand Jack offered, giving it a firm shake.
Jack studied him for a moment and then the recognition became clear in his face. "Yes, I remember. Mr. Bon Jovi." He said, laughing as he slapped his leg. "What brings you here tonight?"
Jon led him to a couple of chairs and motioned for him to sit. After settling in the chair, Jon went on, "Well, I heard your song on the radio, liked it. A lot, actually, and came on down to check you guys out."
Not sure exactly how to react, Jack said, "Whoa, really. Well, thank you, Mr. Bon Jovi. I am very flattered. I don't quite know what to say, it is an honor."
Jon chuckled, "First of all, call me Jon. Second, do you have a few minutes to chat?"
Jack nodded, "Ok, Jon. Yeah, sure. We have about half an hour before the next act. Let me get you a drink, whatcha have?" Jack asked as he stood to head out to the bar.
"Just a beer is fine, thanks." Jon said as he Jack left the room.
Jack came back with two bottles of beer, handed one to Jon and sat back down.
Jon nodded his thanks, and went on, "I came down tonight because I really liked what I heard on the radio. I went to your site and checked out your songs. You have some real good stuff. I wanted to hear you live, so here I am." Jon stopped to take a long drink of his beer, then went on. "Tell me, what is your story right now? Sounds like you have air time. Do you have a record deal?" Jon inquired.
Jack shook his head, "No. Just a promo CD we have been running around to radio stations. The guys and I have been moving around a bit more trying to get the word out, get more exposure than just hanging around Boston gave us. A few radio stations are starting to pick up the single, the one you heard. But so far nothing else has really happened." He shrugged.
Jon looked at him intently for a moment, took another sip of his beer and said, "Well, Jack. Things are about to start happening." Jack regarded him inquisitively, wondering just what Mr. Bon Jovi had on his mind.
Chapter 79


No comments:
Post a Comment