Thursday, September 4, 2008

Chapter 52




Katie continued to improve over the next couple of days. She was moved to a regular hospital room later that day. One afternoon when Jon went down to the hospital cafeteria for lunch, he spotted Katie's dad sitting by himself. After getting a sandwich he walked over to the table.

"Jim, hi. Mind if I join you?" Jon asked.

Jim looked up at him, nodding. "Sure. Have a seat." Jon sat down opposite of him, noticing he looked a bit down. Knowing what was between Katie and her dad, Jon figured he must be really struggling with almost losing his daughter.

They talked a while about superficial things, but Jon found himself wanting to talk to Jim about his relationship with Katie. He didn't want to upset him or overstep boundaries, but he felt like he had to say a few things.

"Jim, I know you have only met me a few times. But I want you to know that I love Katie more than anything in this world. We have talked a lot about many things. If I am overstepping any boundaries, please tell me. But I feel like I have to say a few things." Jon said, pausing.

Jim nodded, looking at him. He could tell this young man loved his daughter. Heck, in many ways he was jealous of their closeness.

Jon continued, taking the nod as a good sign. "Katie told me about what it was like for her growing up. I know how much it has affected her. This isn't about that, as I am sure you know all of it. It is more about finding out where you stand on this now. I know how much it pains her still, and I would love nothing more than to see the two of you be able to forgive and move on." Jon said, studying Jim's expression. He saw tears well up in Jim's eyes.

Jim fished a tissue out of his pocket and blew his nose before speaking, "You're not overstepping boundaries. She is right. I was a terrible father. And in many ways I am no better now because I can't get through to her. I want more than anything to be involved in her life, but I almost feel like I don't have the right to be. I think in some ways that stops me from doing what I know she really wants from me." He admitted.

Jon nodded, "I think you need to forgive yourself and then ask for hers. I think you need to really put yourself out there and admit to all the fault. Tell her how sorry you really are. I don't think she feels you have done that. I know she wants to mend fences, too, deep down." Jon said.

Jim looked down at the table, a tear slipping down his cheek. He nodded, "You're right. Coming this close to losing her, I realize it is really time to work on moving forward. I need a little bit of time to come to terms with a few things. But I will talk to her, Jon. I swear I will."

Jon nodded, understanding, "Do what you have to do. Just don't let much more time slip by like this. Life is too short, Jim." Jon picked up his tray as he stood up. "I hope you can mend this, for both your sakes. I'm going back to the room. See you shortly?" Jon inquired.

Jim nodded, "Yeah, I will be there in a bit." He said. Jon turned to leave as Jim called his name, "Jon." Jim said as Jon turned around. "Thank you for being there for her. She is very lucky to have you in her life."

Jon shook his head, "Nope, Jim. I am the lucky one." He said, smiling as he left the cafeteria.

Katie's parents went back to Nashville later in the week. The kids were back in school now that she was out of the woods. David stayed with Becca for a couple more days but flew back to Jersey on Friday. Having taken the rest of the week off, Becca and Jon traded off sitting with Katie during the day over the next few days. Jon let himself be talked into sleeping at Katie's house, feeling much better after the first night in a real bed. The doctor wanted to watch her for a few more days, but said she might be released the next week, a week and a half after her accident. Jon had arranged to stay an extra week, knowing Katie would need some help for a few days. Early the week after the accident Richie flew in for the afternoon, and had lunch with Jon. He updated Jon on everything and stopped by to see Katie. Becca went back to work early the second week, trying to catch up with her and Katie's clients. Wednesday morning the doctor came and gave them the good news that Katie could go home. She would need to rest a lot the first couple of weeks and take it easy over the next month, but she was pronounced on the mend.

Jon rented an SUV for the week, since neither of them had a car. Katie's was totaled in the accident. Jon drove the car up to the hospital entrance as the nurse wheeled her to the curb. Jon helped her get settled in the car and they headed to Katie's house. Once back at home, Katie was anxious to get back to work, but Jon insisted that she rest.

"But Jon, I have so much work to catch up on. I feel fine." She protested.

"How about this. I will get you all set up in the living room and you can use your laptop. But that is it. You have to rest. Doctor's orders." He said, shaking his finger at her.

She let out a sigh, "Ok, fine." she said with a pout on her pretty lips.

Jon leaned down to kiss them, anxious for the time when he could do more than that. God, how he had missed making love to her. He looked into her deep green eyes, "I love you, baby."

She smiled back at him, feeling like the luckiest woman in the world.


Jon stayed with her through the weekend. By then she was up and around, pretty much back to normal. She found she just got tired quickly, but tried to make sure to sleep as much as she could. It was easy when Jon was there, taking care of everything. But she dreaded the day he had to go back to New York. Not so much for the help, but because she had really gotten used to having him around on a daily basis.

Sunday night they were snuggling on the sofa in the living room in front of the fire. Jon was flying back to New York in the morning. The kids were due back after school on Monday. Katie was taking a few more days off before starting back to work with a few studio sessions later in the week. Jon kissed her on the top of her head as he listened to the beautiful sound of her breathing. He felt tears threaten as he thought back to how close he had come to losing her. It was going to be hard to leave tomorrow even though he knew she was fine. With the insurance stuff taken care of Jon had gone out with her the day before to buy a new car, another CRV, this time in a deeper maroon shade.

"Baby, I am going to miss you so much. I don't want to go." He admitted, stroking her hair.

Katie nodded, knowing just how he felt."I know, cowboy. I have gotten used to having you around." She looked up at him, smiling. She was glad the kids would be back tomorrow to distract her. The doctor had ordered no traveling for a couple more weeks, so Jon was due to fly down the week after.

The fire eventually died down, and they headed upstairs to bed. Once upstairs, Jon pulled the covers back and the gently undressed Katie. After undressing himself, he laid down on the bed next to her, leaning over slowly kissing her on her lips. He ran his hand over her breasts and down to her stomach, lightly tracing her incision. She looked thin to him, beautiful, but thin after her ordeal. He just wanted to wrap her up in his arms and take care of her always. He sat up above her, caressing her curves. He leaned over and kissed her incision, moving lower, spreading her legs. He tickled her clit with his tongue, hearing her moan, arching into his mouth. He pulled back after a moment positioning himself between her legs. He entered her slowly watching the pleasure on her face as her vaginal muscles wrapped around his throbbing cock. He made love to her slowly, never taking his eyes off of hers. They reached climax together, then Jon pulled out of her and laid down next to her, pulling her into his arms. Jon let out a sigh as he listened to her breathing turn more shallow as she slipped into slumber. I am never letting you go again, he thought.

I'll be there till the stars don't shine
Till the heavens burst and
The words don't rhyme
And I know when I die, you'll be on my mind
And I'll love you - Always

Chapter 53



1 comment:

Kris said...

I wonder what will happen next? Great story!