Monday, September 1, 2008

Chapter 50




Jon stood up from the chair and walked over to greet Katie's parents, running his hand through his hair. Even in his worried state, he realized he must look like hell.

"Abby and Jim, hello." He said, giving Katie's mom a hug and shaking her dad's hand.

Abby had tears in her eyes as she returned Jon's hug and went to her daughter's side. "Thank you for being here for her, Jon." Her mom said, looking down at her daughter.

"I wouldn't be anywhere else, Abby. I don't know what I will do if anything happens to her." Jon admitted.

He looked over at Jim, who had tears in his eyes, but stood back, not sure what to do. He was so scared of losing his daughter. Yet he almost felt like he didn't have a right to be scared since he had been so vacant for most of her life. Jon walked over to her dad and patted him on the back. Just then the nurse came in to check Katie. Figuring they would want to talk to the nurse Jon left them alone with their daughter. Ducking out he made his way to the vending machine in search of water. He stopped in the bathroom for a moment, looking in the mirror. What a sight, he thought, taking in his unshaven jaw and tousled hair. He washed his face and promised himself if Katie remained stable today he would at least find somewhere to shower. He didn't want to scare her if she woke up.

Shaking his head he scolded himself, "When, idiot. When she wakes up." he muttered under his breath.

Leaving the restroom he ran into Becca and David. He told them that Katie's parents had arrived, so they all went down to the cafeteria to get breakfast. Afterward they went back up to the room. Katie's mom was sitting at her bedside, while her dad thumbed through a magazine.

Jon went over to Abby, "What did the nurse have to say?"

"Oh, Jon. She is still stable. So that is good news. But it tears me up to see her this way." She said, a tear slipping down her cheek. "The doctor stopped in as well and said she looks good. He can't tell us when she will wake up. Said the body is a complex machine. It will just take time."

Jon nodded. "We just have to keep thinking positive and wait for her." Abby nodded in response, patting his hand. "She is lucky to have you, Jon."

"Abby, to be honest with you, I'm the lucky one. I love her more than anything. I would do anything for her." Jon informed her.

Becca and David then came over to Katie's bed, greeting Abby and Jim. After chatting for a while, Abby and Jim left to get some breakfast since they had come straight from the airport. David left to make a few phone calls leaving Jon and Becca to sit with Katie.

Jon sat holding Katie's hand for a bit. "Jon, it would do you good to get out and at least take a shower." Becca encouraged. "My car is here and you can go to Katie's house. I promise I won't leave her for a minute. What do you say?" She said, gently rubbing his back as she stood next him.

Jon kissed Katie's hand lightly, then turned to Becca, nodding, "I think you're right." He stood up, taking the car keys Becca handed to him. "But I will be back within an hour or so. Call me if anything changes, ok?"

"I promise, Jon. Get yourself some air and a shower. Everything will look better after that." She said, hugging him as he left the room. Becca took the seat Jon had occupied.

She let out a sigh as she gently brushed the hair out of Katie's eyes. "Come on, Kat. Come back to us, huh? We need you. Jon needs you, the kids. We are all here waiting for you." She whispered to her dear friend.

Jon found Becca's car in the parking lot and drove to Katie's house. He picked up her mail on the way in. Deciding a quick run on the treadmill might help clear his mind, he went downstairs to the family room to use Katie's treadmill. Afterward he took a shower and brushed his teeth in the master bathroom. After his shower he went into Katie's room to get dressed. He noticed a flannel nightshirt laying on her bed. Picking it up he held it to his face, breathing in her scent. Silent tears fell down his cheeks as he sat on the edge of the bed holding the shirt to his cheek.

"Oh God, Kat." He sobbed."Oh baby, come back to me. Please don't leave me now. I need you so much." He said, his sobs wracking his body, the shirt wet.

He took a deep breath as the torrent finally slowed down. He stood up, laid the shirt back on her pillow, then went back into the bathroom and washed his face, feeling empty. The shower had helped wake him up, but he felt a void inside. He knew nothing would help until Katie woke up. Getting dressed quickly he drove back to the hospital.

Becca and David were sitting in the room, eating lunch. Katie's parents had come back but left again to take a walk.

"Hey, Kidd. You look better. Tired, but better." David said.

"I feel a little better. You were right, Becca. Thank you." Jon said, wearily sitting back down next to the bed.

Becca finished her lunch and stood up, "I have to make a few calls to reschedule some appointments for the studio. Jon, did you eat?" She asked.

He shook his head, "No, I didn't think of it." He admitted.

"Ok, I will be back in about an hour and will bring you something." She gave Jon a quick hug and waved to David. Jon nodded his thanks.

Later in the afternoon Katie's parents came back, so Jon, David and Becca took a break, sitting in the lounge flipping channels. Kevin stopped by with the kids for a couple of hours, leaving just before dinner, stopping in the lounge to say goodbye.

"Do you guys want to go out and get a bite to eat?" David suggested, realizing it was about dinner time.

"That sounds good. Jon?" Becca said, turning to Jon.

Jon shook his head, "Nah, you guys go. I just can't." They left, promising to bring him back something.

Jon sat in the lounge for a while longer when Abby and Jim came in.

"Jon, we are going back to the hotel for the night. The nurse has our number in case there is any change. You have it too, so call if you need anything, ok?" Abby said, sitting down next to him. "You look exhausted, Jon. Try to get some sleep. I know Katie would want you to take care of yourself." She suggested.

"I will. I can't leave. But I will rest. Thank you, Abby. Jim." He said, walking out with them. He went back to Katie's room after seeing them to the elevator.

He sat next to her bed, talking to her and holding her hand. He leaned over kissing her cheek and felt a small squeeze of his hand. "I know you can hear me, baby. I'm here. I won't leave, I promise. I will be here when you open those beautiful green eyes." He said with a sigh, squeezing her hand back.

Becca and David came back with dinner for him. He ate a few bites, but couldn't stomach much. They sat with him until well after 11:00 p.m. finally deciding to go back to Becca's condo.

"Jon, you can come back with us. I have the space." Becca offered.

David agreed, "Yeah, Jon. You really need a good night sleep. Or at least a decent bed."

Jon shook his head again, "Thanks guys. I appreciate it. But I can't go. I'm staying." They said their goodbyes, and said they return in the morning.

Jon arranged himself in the hospital recliner again, turning until he was as comfortable as he could get. He looked over at Katie laying in the hospital bed, her face dimly lit by the light from the hallway. He closed his eyes, trying to focus on something besides the vision of her laying in the bed. But all that he saw was her smiling face, her eyes sparkling with happiness. He sighed, consumed with fatigue, sleep finally winning.

"Jon? Jon!" Jon felt himself slowly coming out of sleep as he heard someone calling his name. Not remembering where he was at first, he fought to stay asleep. But as reality slowly seeped in he jerked awake, sitting up with a start. He looked over at the hospital bed and saw Katie laying there, her head turned torward him, her eyes open, calling his name. He didn't move for a second, sure this was just a dream.

"Jon, why am I here? I have a killer headache." Katie said, her voice low and unsure.

Her voice jolted him back to reality as he jumped, instantly at her side. "Kat? You're awake? Kat!! Oh, baby! You're awake!!" He said, tears, but tears of happiness, welling up in this eyes and running down his cheeks.

She reached up to wiped them away, "What's the matter, cowboy? Yeah, I'm awake." she whispered, smiling.

He took her hand in his, kissing it. Then he leaned over kissing her on the lips. Katie returned the kiss as best as she could, tasting his salty tears.

"That is going to have to wait, I am dying of thirst." She said, laughing slightly. "Owe. It feels like I did too many sit ups. What happened, Jon?" She asked, confused.

He took a deep breath, sitting down in the chair and tried to explain. "Baby, you were in a bad car accident. You have been out of it for two days. You were hurt pretty bad. You had surgery for internal bleeding and you have a nasty lump on your head. Everyone has been here all the time waiting for you to wake up." he said, smiling for the first time in days.

"Whoa. So that explains it." She chuckled. "I don't remember any of that. The last thing I remember was getting off the plane. I'm assuming I am alive, then?"

He laughed out loud, nodding."Yep, you are. And I am so happy you are. I was so scared, baby." He said as he brushed her hair off her forehead.

"You look like hell, cowboy. What have you been doing?" She asked.

"Sitting here. I haven't left much at all. I promised you I was going to be here when you woke up, and I kept it." He said. "I have never been happier than I am right now. God, baby I was scared. I love you so much."

Hearing voices one of the night nurses slowly opened the door to see what was going on.

She smiled when she saw Katie concious. "Well, Ms. Katie. It's about time you woke up." she said as she checked her vitals. Nodding, she informed them, "You look good. I will let the doctor make the call, but I would say you are out of the woods."

She left to call the doctor on duty so he could check her over. Jon was finally able to breath a deep sigh of relief. After chatting with her a bit more, telling her about the past couple of days, he figured he better call Becca to let her know. He took his cell out of his pocket and dialed Becca's number.

Becca answered the phone, "Jon?" Is everything ok? Is it Katie. Oh God...."

"Becca, she's awake! She is finally awake!" He yelled into the phone, excitedly.

After talking to Becca for a few minutes, he hung up just as the doctor came in. Becca said she would call Katie's parents and Kevin in the morning. The doctor checked her over, declaring her on the mend and OKed some clear broth for her. Jon helped her sit up as the nurse brought in the broth and some water. He sat by her, marveling at how beautiful she was, even in hospital garb, while Katie sipped the broth. He thanked God silently for bringing her back to him. He vowed to himself he would never let her slip away again.

Chapter 51

No comments: