
Waking before Katie, Jon watched her sleep next to him. She had finally fallen asleep around 4 a.m., the excitement of the evening keeping her from slumber. God, he was so lucky, he thought to himself. Life had always been good to him. Never had a bad day since the doctor slapped me on the ass, he had said many times. But Katie. Oh God, Katie was just so much more. She was everything he had ever been looking for. Realizing he could lie there all day just staring at her, but not wanting to wake her, he decided to catch a quick workout in the fitness center. He knew she must be exhausted. He had heard her up a couple of times in the night, heard her excited whisper on the phone with Becca. He had smiled to himself as he listened, content in the realization that she was as happy as he. He slipped out from under the warm sheets, quietly rummaged for a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, then made his exit, pausing for a moment to smile upon her sleeping form.
Katie felt herself being pulled from the depths of slumber, she slowly opened her eyes, realizing Jon was no longer in bed with her. She lifted her head slightly, looking at the clock, the sun casting dappling light through the partially drawn curtains. She sat up, slowly waking. Everything came rushing back to her, causing a slight smile to form on her lips. She figured that Jon must have gone for a work out. Letting out a stretch she padded to the bathroom and started the shower, the steam slowly rising as the water heated up. After a quick shower she heard the hotel door open and close as she brushed her teeth and found a robe hanging on the back of the door. She pulled the thirsty fabric around and knotted the belt around her waist, then opened the door stepping out into the bedroom. She could smell the aroma of freshly brewed coffee. Breathing the scent in deeply, she proceeded to the living room area, pausing to watch Jon set out breakfast on the table in front of the large windows. Jon was too busy setting out an impressive breakfast spread to hear Katie approach. She tiptoed up behind him, wrapping her arms around his waist, his shirt damp from his workout.
"Mmmm, good morning, cowboy." She purred, resting her head on his back.
He jumped slightly at her touch, then turned around in her arms as his own pulled her into a warm embrace. "Good morning, baby. How did you sleep?" He asked as he planted a kiss on her warm lips.
"Great, once I finally got to sleep. My mind would not stop last night." She admitted, sneaking a peek at the offerings.
Jon chuckled as he caught her. "Sit, my lady, and let me serve you."
She obliged, sitting on the padded chair. Jon poured a steaming cup of coffee, adding what she liked, then handed it to her. She took a long sip, letting out a deep sigh. She could get used to waking up this way every morning, she thought. Too bad room service didn't really mix with real life. Jon poured himself a cup and joined her at the table. They dined as the sun slowly climbed high in the sky. Katie knew her parents were expecting her back this afternoon, though Jon wasn't flying out until tomorrow for the next show.
"Why don't you come with me out to the farm? Maybe we can stay for dinner. I would love it if you could be there when I tell mom and dad the news." Katie suggested.
"Sure thing, baby." He said, nibbling on a scone. "How do you think they will take the news?" He knew how concerned everyone has been about her dating him with his lifestyle and all.
"I think they will be happy for us." she said honestly. She wasn't positive Jason would cheer right away, but he would come around eventually.
After clearing away breakfast and putting it outside the hotel room door, Jon hopped into the shower. Katie called her parents' house while he was in the bathroom.
Abby heard the phone ring as she was finishing up the lunch dishes. Wiping her hands on the dish towel, she reached for the phone that hung on the wall next to the kitchen door.
"Hello?" She said, expecting it to be Katie. She had assumed Katie might want to bring Jon by for dinner so she has bought a roast and all the fixings to put in the oven.
"Hi Mom!" Katie answered, "I am headed back in a bit, but was wondering, do you mind if Jon joins us for dinner?"
Abby smiled to herself, "Not at all. I'm making a roast."
Katie knew her mom too well, realizing she expected him to join them. "That sounds perfect! Thanks, Mom. We'll be there around 4 p.m if that's ok?"
"Sounds good, sweetie. See you then." Abby hung up and fetched some carrots from the fridge to peel for the roast.
Jon joined Katie in the living room after his shower, in jeans, his hair still damp. They decided to take a walk around Nashville before heading to her parents' house. For the most part they were left alone, an occasional fan asking for Jon's autograph. Katie realized people must be used to see celebrities walking around at any given time. It was so unlike New York where, if it wasn't the paparazzi snapping away, there was some fan approaching him at least every few minutes. Not that she minded, she had grown more used to it. But she had to admit it was nice to walk around in public and not feel as if they were constantly on display.
They returned to the hotel to freshen up, then took a taxi to join Katie's parents for dinner. Katie could hear Abby in the kitchen as they walked in the front door. Jon followed Katie as she went to the back of the house, finding her mom stirring a pot on the stove.
"Hey, mom." Katie said, giving her mom a quick hug.
Abby turned around returning the hug, "Hi, sweetie. It's good to see you." Abby put the spoon down as Jon came over to her, giving her a gentle hug of his own. "Hello, Jon. I'm so glad you could join us for dinner." Abby said, warmly.
"Where is dad?" Katie asked, looking outside in the back yard.
"He is out in the barn taking care of one of the mares. She threw a shoe earlier and is a bit lame. The vet came to check her out. He should be in soon." Abby informed her.
Katie nodded, not exactly sure how she was going to break the news to her parents. Even though she knew they would be happy for her, it would mean a huge change in her life and she expected them to have some concerns.
"Do you need a hand with anything, Abby?" Jon offered. She shook her head. "No, everything is in good shape. Why don't you kids relax, dinner will be ready in about 20 minutes. There is some fresh ice tea in the fridge." She said, taking out two glasses. After pouring the tea, Katie and Jon went to sit on the porch swing.
"It is beautiful here, Kat." Jon said he looked out over the barn and paddocks, the sun slowly descending.
She nodded, "It is. Despite our issues, I still have a lot of good memories of growing up here." As time had passed, she was able to think about the good memories, not just dwell on the bad. As her dad walked back from the barn, she thought, sadly none of the good ones involved him. Jon took her hand giving it a gentle squeeze as he noticed the cloud pass over her face. She turned, offering a small smile.
Just then Abby poked her head out the screen door, "Dinner is on the table." Katie nodded, then took Jon's hand leading him into the house. They sat down at the dining room table, Jim following behind after washing his hands in the kitchen. He gave Katie a quick kiss on the cheek and shook Jon's hand before sitting down.
"Glad you kids could join us." He said as Abby joined them.
"Thank you, Jim. I am happy to be here." Jon offered, taking a sip of iced tea.
"So how was the show?" Abby asked as she passed a salad around.
Katie looked at Jon with a small smile on her face, her cheeks tinting a bit. He smiled back, waiting.
"The show was good. Sold out, as usual." Katie said, trying to figure out how to broach the subject of their engagement. Jim nodded, "Good. Sometime I would like to see your show, Jon."
"Any time, Jim. I would be thrilled to have you Abby there." Jon said, shifting in his seat. He was nervous and they weren't even his parents.
Not able to take the suspense any longer, Katie decided to to just tell them as she pushed the lettuce around on her plate. "Mom, Dad. We have some news." She said, looking up at them.
Abby and Jim stopped short and looked first at her, then at Jon. "Oh? what kind of news, dear?" Abby asked, cautiously.
"Jon asked me to marry him." Katie blurted out. Whew, there. It was out, she thought.
Jim continued chewing, but smiled. "Well, well. So what did you say, Katherine?" He said, chuckling.
Katie laughed slightly, knowing her dad still didn't realize just how famous Jon was. Jon answered for her, "She did me the honor of saying yes." his voice strong and sure.
Abby smiled slightly, "Well now, that is some very big news. I would say congratulations are in order then." She said, obviously shocked, yet appearing happy for them. "Jim, fetch a bottle of wine from the basement, will you?" Jim nodded, going to the basement for the requested wine.
Abby stood up coming around the table. She gave Katie a hug first, then Jon. "Really, kids, I am happy for you." She said as she sat back down. "Jon, I will admit, I am concerned for my daughter. Surely you can understand that. This will be a big change for her and the children."
Jon pushed back from the table a bit, nodding, "I understand, Abby. And I assure you I have nothing but their best interest at heart. I love your daughter more than I can even tell you. I do hope you both will believe that." He said honestly.
Abby remembered how he had sat at the hospital with Katie day and night. She had no doubt in her mind that he loved her very deeply.
She nodded, "I know you do, Jon. I trust you will do right by her and the children. I love them very much." She said, smiling at him.
"You have my word, Abby." He assured her as Jim came back from the basement, showing Abby a bottle of red wine. She nodded and he went into the kitchen to find an opener. Abby joined him, searching for wine glasses.
After the dinner dishes were cleared away, they relaxed in the living room finishing up their wine.
After a while, Jon said, "Well, I should get going. I have an early morning flight to catch for the next round of shows."
Katie stood up as Jon did, "Thank you both again, for a wonderful dinner and company." He offered his hand to Jim, and gave Abby a warm hug.
Abby said, "It was no problem at all, Jon. I look forward to you joining us more often as a part of the family." She said, returning his hug. "Congratulations, again." She said with a wink at Jon.
"I look forward to it." He said, with a big smile, as Katie led him out the front door. Katie had brought her suitcase back earlier, knowing Jon had to leave early in the morning. Her flight was not leaving until later in the afternoon.
On the porch, Jon called the hotel to send a car, then took Katie into his arms. He kissed her deeply, not wanting to leave her. They swayed together on the porch, holding each other tightly, until the lights of the car made its way down the long driveway.
Pulling back with a deep sigh, Jon said, "Baby, you have made me so happy. God, I am going to miss you." He buried his face in her hair.
She couldn't stop the bittersweet tears that made their way down her cheek. It would be so lonely without him the next few weeks.
"Oh!" Jon said, remembering. He pulled a key out of his pocket and handed it to her. "This is to the penthouse. I will call and make all the arrangements for you to stay there."
Katie took it, "Thank you, cowboy. It will be a much needed break. When will I get to see you again?" She asked.
Jon looked thoughtful for a moment. "We have one more show after you will leave New York, but I can arrange to be back there for a few days before that."
Katie nodded, knowing it would have to do. "Ok. You better get going." Jon nodded, giving her one more quick kiss. "I love you, baby. So much." He said, as he walked toward the taxi.
She mouthed back, "I love you, cowboy." then placed her fingers to her lips and blew him a kiss.
Chapter 71


2 comments:
Yay!!!! You are back!
Please don't leave us hanging for this long again!!!
Soooo, when is the wedding? Where are they going to live and how is Katie's kids custody gonna work out? I want to know! LOL!
Thanks so much for reading! We promise to try not to. Writer's block is a bitch, I tell you. It just doesn't come naturally as it does to some of the great fan fic authors. We love it, though and will keep plodding along!
Post a Comment