Thursday, January 15, 2009

Chapter 69




Returning from the bathroom she crawled back into bed and back into Jon's welcoming arms. Brushing back her hair, he pressed a kiss to her temple. She spooned with him, curling her body against his, her head in the crook of his arm. They lay silently for a few minutes, each caught up in the happenings of the evening. Katie tried to mentally reach into her head, grabbing at thoughts as they reeled around in the space of her brain. What if this, what happens with that, how does this work....all those thoughts. She let out a deep sigh. Jon could feel her mind was preoccupied. So present with him just a few minutes ago, she was now worlds away. He gently sat up, slipping his arm out from under her head. He stroked her hair as he watched her intently. Katie rolled over, feeling his eyes on her, a slight smile on her lips.

"Everything ok, baby?" He asked, his voice soft and low.

She nodded, "Everything is wonderful. I just....." she paused, trying to find the words. "I just have so many thoughts swirling around in my head, Jon. The last year has been such a whirlwind. I think I need to make sense of it all, you know?"

His expression serious, he nodded. At times he forgot that before meeting him, her life much more predictable. Even though he was on this ride too, he was more used to a crazy busy schedule, traveling, juggling so many different balls at one time.

"Talk to me, Kat." He said, wanting to hear all the noise going on in her head. Wanting to somehow make everything fit for her. Wanting to be sure that no matter what, she was happy.

She took a deep breath, trying to organize her thoughts as he continued to stroke her hair. Finding the words for the one thing she was sure of, she said, "I love you. The one certainty, the one constant, is that I love you." She put her hands on the bed pushing her self up to a sitting position, curling her legs under her. "Sometimes I feel like I am living in a dream. As if I am looking into a glass ball watching scene after scene of a movie. Yet I can reach out and touch it, feel it, taste it. Sometimes I feel like I am on a car speeding ahead so fast. I see things, signs or something, on the side of the road, but I am going too fast to read them. Sometimes I want to yell STOP, just let me stop for a moment and look around."

She looked into his eyes, reading his concern in them. She turned toward him holding his hands in hers. "Jon, I want more than anything to be your wife. Oh my God! I used to dream about that. In so many ways this is a dream come true for me. I can't explain it. I have loved you for so many years. On the beach that night..." She looked down at their hands, intertwined. "Jon, it all came rushing at me, right then. That everything in my life happened for a reason, every path I every path I have taken, every fork in the road, was eventually leading me here. To you. " She lifted her head, their eyes locking. "It all fell into place. To be honest, it was the freakiest feeling I have ever had. But I accept that, I welcome that. God, it is more than anything I ever could have hoped for in my life up until this point. More than I thought would ever happen to me. Little old me, a nobody in your world. Just a face in the crowd of thousands, maybe millions. And here I am. Sometimes it just seems almost surreal. Like sometimes I just want to step back and take it all in. I am sorry if that doesn't make any sense." She said, feeling a weight lift. She had never said anything like this to him before. Hadn't even really taken the time until now to listen to the voices in her head. She had climbed on the ride, willingly, ready to go where ever it took her. She knew without a doubt she wanted to marry him. But something inside of her was persistently telling her to step back and take a deep breath, let it all settle.

Jon stroked the palm of her hand with his thumb. He understood more than she knew. Granted it had been years, but he got it. It was different for him, but the same whirlwind feelings were his many years ago. It was way back when things had started taking off with the first song, Runaway. Then the band. It took on a life of its own. They were just along for the ride. Album after album, tour after tour, it had taken its toll on all of them. He had a feeling it was a very similar experience for Katie this past year. Life had turned in a direction she could never have known about or expected. And just like he was totally sure he wanted the life that was presented to him then, he also knew he had to stay in touch with himself, his roots. He has a feeling Katie needed that very same thing.

Nodding his head, he smiled at her. "Baby, that makes total sense to me. I know you won't believe it, but I've been there." Thoughtful for a moment, he then said, "I have an idea. I know you were going to come down to the Atlanta show in two weeks. But why don't you take a little vacation, some time for yourself. Your schedule as been as hectic as mine these last few months. It would be good for you. You could go to Rockport, or even the penthouse if you want."

Katie took in his words, tossing the idea around in her head. Maybe he was on to something. Maybe she just needed to take some time and let everything sink in. A weekend in New York by herself. Something she had planned a year ago, but something that didn't quite turn out as expected.

"I think that might just be what the doctor ordered." She said, nodding. She knew that would mean not seeing him for at least three weeks, and that thought made her heart ache. But she knew he was right. "I think a weekend in New York would be wonderful." She said, "Are you sure you wouldn't mind me hanging out at your place?"

"God, no, Kat. I want you to stay there, if you want to." He pulled her to him, kissing her lightly on the lips. "Baby, everything I have is yours." She smiled in answer, laying her head on his chest as she leaned against him. Jon guided them both back down on the bed, pulling the covers over them.

Later, not able to sleep, Katie untangled herself from Jon's arms. She took a side trip to the bathroom, slipped into a terry robe and tiptoed into the living room of the hotel penthouse. She felt so jumpy. She still couldn't believe what was happening. Pulling back the curtains a crack, she gazed out at the Nashville skyline, the streetlights giving off a warm glow as the rest of the city slept. She decided maybe she would call Becca and share the news with her. She felt like she needed to tell someone, to make sure it was real. She fished for her cellphone in the purse that laid on the floor, discarded during their hasty entrance.


Back in Massachusetts Becca was sound asleep in her bed, oblivious to the goings on happening 1000 miles away. The phone rang, rousing her from the depths of slumber. She jumped up, forcing herself awake. A phone ringing at night was never a good sign in her book. She reached over to the night stand, knocking the phone to the floor. She got out of bed reaching for it under the stand. Finally finding it she hit the talk button.

"Hello?" She asked, her voice groggy.

"Becca? Its Kat. I am sorry I woke you."

Becca sat on the edge of the bed, slowly coming to her senses. "Kat, hey. Is everything ok? What's going on?"

"Everything is fine. More then fine." Katie said, excitedly, even though she was talking so low Becca could hardly make out what she was saying.

"Ok, well good. So...why are you calling me at..." She squinted at the clock, her interest slightly piqued. "...3 a.m?"

"He asked me to marry him, Beccs. Tonight, after the show. Jon asked me to marry him!" Her excited whisper jerked Becca even more awake. She transferred the phone to her other hand as she pushed herself back against the headboard of her bed.

"Did you say he asked you to marry him? Kat, did I hear you right?" She said, not sure she was hearing what Katie was saying.

"Yes! He asked me to marry him!" Katie exclaimed, trying to convince Becca. "Tonight after the show he asked me in his dressing room. Becca, he gave me a ring and everything."

A bit shocked at the news, but realizing her friend was serious, she pressed her for more details. "Oh my God! Kat, what did you say?" She said, clutching the phone so hard, her knuckles turned white.

"What do you think I said, you goon. I said yes! Of course, I said yes!" Katie burst out, her voice louder this time.

"Oh my God. Kat. OH MY GOD! Jon Bon Jovi asked you to marry him. Oh my God." Becca couldn't contain her excitement.

"I know, Becca. I am still getting used to the idea myself. But I am so happy. " Katie said, her joy evident. "I will let you go, I am sorry for waking you up. I just had to tell somebody." Sheapologized.

"You know you can call me any time." Becca assured her. "I am really happy for you, Kat. But I want all the details when you get home! Got it?"

"Got it! Ok, night." Kat said, hanging up the phone.

"Night..." Becca answered, her voice trailing off to the sound of the dial tone. Wow, she thought, just wow. She would have to call David tomorrow. She wondered if he knew. He had not let on at all when she had talked to him earlier. She put the phone in it's cradle and slipped back under the covers, knowing that sleep would not come easy after the news of her best friend getting engaged to one of the biggest rock stars on the planet.

Chapter 70

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm loving all these new chapters

Anonymous said...

Thank you! We will be taking off a few days to spend with our children for the long holiday weekend but look for new chapters in a few days!

Anonymous said...

Hi, when will there be new chapters I keep checking everyday, Hope you both had a fantastic time with your kids on the long weekend, now back to writing. lol

Unknown said...

Hi,

I just found your story a few days ago and hardly could stopp to read, but sometimes the real life had to stopp me. I enjoyed all the chapters and really loved the prospal Jon made. Now I am looking forward the the next chapters.

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading this chapter and loooooooved it!!

I need something to fill the void in my brain fast!

Please put up the next chapters!!