
Becca opened the door to her condo, tossed her keys on the small table by the front door and collapsed on the sofa. She was exhausted from sitting at the hospital, but she doubted she would be able to sleep any time soon. Noticing the message light blinking on her phone, she reached over to press the PLAY button, and heard David's voice.
Hey beautiful lady, I tried calling your cell phone but it went straight to voice mail. I just wanted to hear your voice. Give me a call when you get in. I'll be up late.
She turned on her cell phone, remembering that she had turned it off after calling Kevin and Katie's parents. Noticing that it was well after midnight, she decided to try David anyway. She dialed his number and he answered on the first ring.
"Hey, beautiful!!" David answered with a smile.
"Hi..." Becca started, not able to stop the tears. "Oh, David..."
"Becca? Are you alright? What's the matter?" he asked concerned.
She took a deep breath, trying to slow the tears down. "It's Katie. She was in an car accident today. She had some internal hemorrhaging and a nasty bump on the head. The performed surgery to stop the internal bleeding, but she is still unconscious. Right now they are watching her over night to see which way things will go. I just got home from the hospital." Becca finished.
David could hear how upset she was. "Oh my God, that is terrible! Is there anything I can do?" he asked. "Would it help if I came to Boston?"
Becca realized just how much she wanted that. "Could you? Jon is here. I think we could both use some support." she replied, trying to wipe the tears away as they streamed down her cheeks.
"So Jon is there?" David inquired.
"Yes, I called him first. He came right away. He is in terrible shape, he could really use some support. He said he called Richie to look after the business stuff, but Richie also has Ava this week. I just think he needs someone here. I am doing my best, but I will admit, I am pretty messed up, too." Becca continued
"Ok, sweetheart, I'll be there first thing in the morning." David assured her. "Should I meet you at the hospital?" he asked.
"Yeah. I am going to be up early and will head straight there. She is at Emerson in Concord." Becca told him. "I appreciate it, David. I'm really scared and keep thinking of what would happen if she doesn't pull through for some reason." she said, the tears flowing again.
"I understand. She will pull through this. Let's keep focusing on the positive. I will fly out as soon as I can get a flight and see you very soon. Hang in there." he said, trying to sooth her.
"I'm trying. Thank you so much for coming." she whispered.
"I want to be there. Now try to get some rest, ok? I will see you in just a few hours." he said, "Night."
"Goodnight, and thank you." Becca said, feeling the hot tears slipping down her cheeks.
David made a few phone calls arranging his flight into Boston. He tried calling Jon, but there was no answer. Becca changed for bed, and took a Tylenol PM, hoping she could sleep some. She wanted to head back to the hospital as early as possible, and knew it would be a long day. Kevin and the kids would be stopping by, and she knew it would be really rough on them. She had to keep up her strength for them, too. Jon was a mess, so she was glad David would lend some support for him. Hell, who was she kidding. She needed his support as well. She climbed into bed, trying to focus on how good it would feel to be in David's arms right now.
After managing a few hours of sleep, Becca got up, showered and was out the door early the next morning. She grabbed some breakfast for her and Jon on the way into the hospital, knowing he would not have eaten a thing. She walked into the room and found him asleep on the chair where she had left him, his head resting on her bed. Becca felt the tears threaten when she saw he still held her hand. Setting the food down, she lightly touched his shoulder.
"Jon?" she whispered.
Jon woke with a start. Becca rubbed his back thinking how haggard he looked.
He stood up, hugging her, and said, "There is no change. She is still unconscious." he said, brokenly.
She returned the hug, "We have to be positive. She is going to pull through this." she assured him. "Hey, I brought some breakfast. Why don't you eat something and take a short walk? I know it has been a while since you ate. I'll stay here with her and call if anything changes." Becca encouraged, steering him toward the door.
"I can't leave..." Jon began.
Becca cut him off, "You have to take care of yourself so you can be strong for her. You aren't going to be any good to anyone if you don't. Please, Jon." She handed him the bag turned him toward the door. He nodded, reluctantly.
He walked around for a bit, deciding to sit outside for a while. He breathed in the fresh air as he ate the breakfast sandwich. The air cleared out his lungs, the hospital smells were getting to him. He never noticed if anyone recognized him, but no one bothered him. He was thankful, since he knew he would not be accommodating to fans right now. He finished the sandwich and went back into the hospital. Just as he got off the elevator on the ICU floor he heard someone calling his name.
"Jon!"
He turned around and saw David walking towards him. David caught up to him, giving him a hug, then looked at him, his eyes full of concern.
"Hey. How is Katie?" he asked, putting his arm around his friend's shoulders as they walked toward the room.
Jon sighed, grateful to have one of his brothers there, "No change." he sighed."How did you know?" Jon asked, "Did Rich call you to look after me?"
David shook his head, "No, I talked to Becca last night. Is she here yet?" he inquired.
"Yeah, she's in the room with Katie. I'm glad you are here for her. She has been so strong. She needs someone to lean on, because Lord knows I am of no help to her right now." Jon said, taking a deep breath.
"I will help her in any way I can, but Kidd, I am here for you, too. You know that." David pointed out.
"I know, man. Thank you." Jon said gratefully.
Becca heard the door as the two men walked into the room. She turned around, feeling a sense of relief when she saw David. He walked over to her, pulling her into his arms just as the tears started.
"It's ok, sweetheart. I'm here. Everything is going to be alright." he soothed, her kissing the top of her head. She clung to him as the tears poured out, her head on his chest. David held her, rubbing her back as he let her cry it out.
The crying finally subsided and she looked up at him through tear soaked lashes. "Thank you for being here."
"No thanks necessary. This is where I want to be." he whispered, giving her a quick kiss.
Taking her hand he lead her over to the chair by the bed. Jon was already sitting down, holding Katie's hand, his gaze fixed on her. They sat that way for a while, each lost in their own thoughts until the nurse entered to check Katie's vitals.
Afterward she informed them, "She is still stable. That is a good sign. Sometimes it just takes time for the body to heal. She is young and healthy. But her body has been through a tremendous shock. Just give it some time." They thanked her as she left.
Just as the nurse left, Kevin and the kids entered the room. Becca stood up, walking over and introducing Kevin to Jon and David.
Sophia immediately went to her mother's side. She touched Katie's cheek as the tears ran down her face. Brandon hung back by his dad, unsure of seeing his mom like that.
Becca walked over to him, giving him a hug. "Hey, buddy. Don't you want to see your mom?" she asked quietly.
Brandon shook his head, his own tears spilling over his eyes. Kevin was standing beside Sophia rubbing her back, not sure how to comfort Brandon. Jon stepped in, seeing the fear in Brandon's face. He put his arm around Brandon, turning him around.
"What do you say we take a walk, Brandon?" He said as he steered the boy towards the door. They went into the waiting room and sat down.
"Is my mom going to die?" Brandon asked, choking on this tears.
Jon knelt down in front of him, "Brandon, I'm not going to lie to you. She is hurt pretty badly. But the doctors are confident that she is going to pull through. We just need to remember that, ok?" Jon told him. "I know you are scared. I am too, but we need to be strong for her. The doctor said she can hear us even though she is unconscious right now. So I think we should talk to her, tell her how much we love her and that we are here waiting for her to come back to us. What do you say?"
Brandon nodded, "OK. I can do that." he said, with tears in his voice.
When they got back to the room, Kevin had already left. He would be back later to get the kids and had left his cell number if they needed anything. Becca and Sophia were sitting by the bed talking quietly to Katie. David was standing by the window.
Becca looked up as she heard him come in.
"Is he ok?" She mouthed to Jon.
Jon nodded. Brandon walked over to the side of the bed where Sophia was sitting. He sat down and reached for his mom's hand.
His tears would no longer be held back as he looked at his mom laying there.
"I love you, mom. Please wake up." he whispered.
Sophia put her arm around him as she wiped her own tears away. He turned toward her, hugging her as they cried together. No one in the room could keep a dry eye. Jon wiped his own tears away as Becca walked over to David, her own starting up again. Even David had tears in his eyes as he wrapped his arms around Becca. Jon sat in the seat opposite the kids, taking Katie's hand in his. Kissing it.
They all stayed in the room for the next few hours. Finally deciding that Becca and the kids needed a break, David suggested they all grab some lunch. He knew he wouldn't be able to talk Jon into leaving, however. Even though she didn't want to leave, she knew he was right. They left to get lunch, telling Jon they would bring something back for him.
Alone at last, Jon let his tears fall freely.
Kissing her forehead and stroking her hair, he whispered, "Come on, baby. Wake up. I love you. I miss you so much. There are so many people that love you and need you. We need you to come back to us. I need you. I can't imagine my life without you. Please open those beautiful green eyes for me."
He felt a slight squeeze from her hand, but nothing else. It wasn't much, but he would take it.
Kevin picked the kids up around 4 p.m. Becca and Jon promised to call if there was any change. David finally convinced Becca to go home for the night, but Jon would not leave. The nurse eventually convinced Jon to lay in the recliner next to her bed, and he fell into a deep sleep out of physical necessity more than anything.
Early the next morning Jon woke as Katie's parents walked into the room, having finally gotten a flight out of Nashville.
Chapter 50


1 comment:
Great chapters!! Very emotional and heart-wrenching. I hope that Katie wakes up soon.
Looking forward to more. Thanks for the updates ladies. You had me on the edge of my seat waiting for the next chapter to hear what had happened. I'm glad she will be ok but want to read the proof of that soon!!
Colleen
Post a Comment