
After Katie and Jon returned from their walk, the kids begged to go swimming. The girls expressed interest in going to the clubhouse pool, so Jon called for the driver to take them.
"Jon, is it a good place for two 15 year old girls to go alone?" Katie expressed a bit of concern.
He assured her, "Its fine, Kat. Very safe. Besides, Steph has been there before, she knows her way around."
"Please, mom." Sophia begged. She didn't want to be stuck on the beach with no one but them all week. "We will be careful. Promise! I have my cell phone. I can call if we have any issues."
Katie finally gave in, "Alright. Just be careful, ok? And call if you need anything!"
Just then the car drove up to the front of the house. Sophia planted a quick kiss on Katie's cheek, "Thanks, mom!" and they were out the door.
Jon squeezed her shoulder, "They will be fine. Really. Steph has been to the pool many times when we have come here. Only people renting at the resort go there and it is all very secluded from the public. I wouldn't come here if it wasn't." He tried to convince her.
She smiled, "Your right. I know that. I just worry." She admitted. "Oh, I didn't give Sophia any money!" She exclaimed.
Jon laughed, "Its ok, Kat. Steph will just put it under my bill. Relax."
Katie threw her hands up in the air, "Ah, well you think of everything, don't you?" She said, feeling a bit foolish. She wasn't used to this all inclusive lifestyle he lead at times.
Jon put his hands on her shoulders and spun her around to face him. "Baby, relax and enjoy. You promised you would let me take care of everything for this trip. You need not ask for anything."
She couldn't help but smile, those blue eyes made her melt every time she looked into them. "Yes. I did. Ok. I will relax and enjoy. It just takes a bit of getting used to, though. I can't help it."
He smiled at her, then kissed her lightly on the lips, "Good. Now lets get these monkeys down to the beach, shall we?"
The girls chatted excitedly on the way to the clubhouse. Sophia noticed Steph seemed much happier today, more talkative. She realized she had never seen her that happy.
"Steph, I am sorry if I came across a bit harsh last night. I just think both our parents are really nice people and I hope that everyone can be happy. That is all." She said, watching Steph's reaction.
Steph was quiet for a moment, but then said, "You shouldn't be sorry. I am almost 16 years old. I shouldn't be acting like a spoiled brat. In many ways you were right. I thought about it a lot last night. It does still hurt. But your right, I can't change it. Not saying I am thrilled. But I will try to be more accepting and even nicer to your mom." She offered. She looked down at her lap, then up at Sophia, "So lets forget about it and have some fun. What do you say? The clubhouse is awesome. The pool is huge and there are always some cute lifeguards there."
Sophia smiled and gave Steph a quick hug, "Sounds good to me!" And as is usually the case with kids, anything negative was forgotten as they looked forward to a new adventure.
Jon, Katie and the boys spent the afternoon on the beach. Brandon and Jesse begged to go snorkeling the next day. Jon looked through the schedule of events for the kids and decided to put Jake and Romeo in a day camp the next day as well. He figured Sophia and Steph would want to hang out at the clubhouse again. Maybe he could steal Katie away for a few hours in the afternoon. Then tomorrow evening, he had plans to make. He excused himself for a while, then went back up to the house to make a few calls. Just as he finished up the girls showed up at the front door, both a bit pink from the tropical sun.
"Hey, ladies. How was the pool." Jon asked.
Steph took off her sunglasses, and popped a bubble with her gum before saying, "Awesome, as always. We met some friends. Can we go back tomorrow, dad, please?" She begged.
Jon laughed, sure that it was more fun for them to hang out with kids their age. "Sure. But don't forget the sunscreen next time. Your looking a bit crispy, my dear." He said, kissing her on her messy bun. "You had fun, Sophia?"
Sophia nodded, her ponytail swinging, "It was totally sick!" Jon laughed at the teenage lingo, knowing that meant it was really awesome.
The girls found cold drinks and went out to lounge by the house pool. Jon went back to the beach and helped the boys pack up their sand toys and boogie boards. The maid service had been in to clean, and dinner had been brought up while Jon was making calls. After dinner Sophia went up to take a shower. Jon figured he would take a little time with Stephanie while Katie played Hungry Hungry Hippo with the younger boys. Katie waved him on his way when he asked if she minded. He had noticed Steph's mood seemed much lighter today. She even smiled and laughed along with everyone else. Maybe things were turning around, he thought, as he went in search of her. He found her sitting out on the lanai reading a book.
He sat down next to her, "Hey, sweetie. Mind if I join you for a bit?" He inquired.
She looked up from her book and smiled, "Nope." She put her book down and turned toward him.
"Are you having a good time?" He asked.
She nodded, "At least I have someone else to talk to besides the monsters." Jon laughed. For many years it was a complaint of Steph's that it was no fair there were only boys in the house besides her mom. And since the divorce she often felt even more isolated on weekends with her dad and all the brothers. It had gotten to the point where some weekends she stayed home with her mom to hang out with her friends instead of seeing her dad.
"I am glad. You two seem to be getting along pretty well." He had noticed they seemed like fast friends.
"Sophia is nice, dad. I really like her." She said, looking toward the water.
"How are you doing, you know, with everything?" He asked, unsure he wanted to hear the answer.
She looked at her dad, keeping her promise to herself that she would try, "I am getting there. I am trying."
He could tell she meant it. He had felt something in her mood shift the last couple of days. He knew she had not been happy about the trip at first. If she was trying, that was all he could ask. He nodded, then said, "I really appreciate that, Steph. That is all I want. That you try. Wanna take a walk down to the beach?"
She nodded. Jon went in to tell Katie where they were going. Katie just smiled and nodded, happy that he seemed relaxed. She knew Stephanie weighed on his mind heavily. As Jon and Steph walked down the path, he heard victorious yells as they played the game. He smiled to himself, feeling all was right with the world. Everyone he loved the most was in one place, and happy to be there. What more could he ask for? They walked and then sat, talking for a good two hours. It was the first time since the divorce that they had spent that much time together really talking about life, friends, everything. Jon felt like he saw a new side of Steph. A glimpse of what she would be like as a young woman. Steph felt a lot of her anger melt away as they talked. So much anger had built up for her over the past year and a half. But once she opened herself up to the possibility that life could be good again, and opened up to her dad, everything seemed to fall into place just a little bit more for her.
By the time they got back to the house, darkness was well on it's way. They found the house quiet except for Katie sitting in a lounge chair on the lanai with a book and Sophia watching TV in the living room. Katie looked up and smiled when she heard them.
"Hey there, I was wondering what happened to you two." She said, laying her book down.
"We walked. We talked. I am sorry we were gone so long." Jon apologized. "Where are the monkeys?"
"Jesse and Romeo just crashed about half an hour ago. I tucked them in and they were out. I think the ocean air got to them." Katie said, "Brandon and Jesse are playing video games again in their room. And we are here just hanging out."
Steph went inside to watch TV with Sophia. "So you had a good talk?" Katie asked, curiously.
"Yeah, we really did." Jon said, sitting down next to her. "I think she is going to be ok. She said she really like Sophia and thinks you are really nice, too. I think things are turning around." He said, clearly relieved.
"That is wonderful to hear, Jon. I know how concerned you were about her." Katie was relieved as well.
Jon nodded, "Hey, thanks for putting the boys down. You didn't have to do that. I didn't mean to take so long."
"It was no problem. They seemed fine with it, didn't ask for you once. They really are very sweet boys."
"I'm not surprised they didn't ask for me, they adore you." He said, laughing. He got quiet for a minute before volunteering, "You just fit, Kat. Your the missing piece in my puzzle of a life." He said, his voice serious.
Her heart skipped a beat, her voice lost for a moment. He reached out taking her hand in his, searching her eyes. "I hope I fit in yours."
She looked into the blue depths, feeling like she couldn't pull away from his gaze. "More than you know, cowboy. More than you know." Not able to find any more words, she let him pull her into his lap, snuggling against his warm chest. After a while they went inside, finding that the girls had already turned in for the night. Jon gave Katie a goodnight kiss in front of her room, knowing they would have more time tomorrow.
"Night, sweet Kat." He whispered, kissing her neck, then pulled away, disappearing into his room. Katie touched her neck lightly with her fingertips where his lips had been.
"Night, cowboy..." She whispered into the empty air.
Chapter 66


2 comments:
Yea! TWO chapters! Absolutely love this fan fic. I know that I'm in for an enjoyable evening when I come home from work and find that you have posted new chapters! Thank you!
Oh.... and I check daily, too!!
So glad! Thank you! Yes, that pace is hard to keep up, but the goal now that holidays, busy work season and funerals are over, is to post much more steadily. Keep reading and we will keep writing!
Post a Comment