Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Chapter 67




Jon collapsed on top of her, burying his head in her neck as he knotted her hair around his fingers. He breathed in the sweet, salty scent of her, pulling it deep within his lungs. One word popped into Jon's mind as he wrapped himself around her.....home. He was home. He could put no words to his thoughts, he just knew, without a doubt, that he was now and forever, home.

He eventually rolled over to lie next to her. He propped his head up on his arm as he studied her, her eyes closed. Auburn strands of hair, wet from her exertion, stuck to her cheek, her lips swollen, slightly open as her breath became more shallow. Her lashes fluttered softly as she opened her eyes, turning her head toward him. Having given herself up to the pure sensuality of him, she let down all her guards. Her eyes were unclouded, showing her raw emotions. Looking into his eyes she felt herself being transported to another realm, yet they remained on the blanket, the torches causing shadows to dance across the sand. It was that moment that something shifted, a new reality took hold.

Unable to move right away they lay there listening to the sound of the sea. Jon noticed her skin become bumpy as a slight shiver ran through her. Knowing she must be chilled he sat up, pulling her into his arms.

"What do you say we take a quick dip?" Jon whispered brokenly. They tiptoed in the sand to the water's edge, letting the warm waves lap over their feet. Jon led her out deeper into the gentle waves, the moonlight dancing on the water. Katie let the water, warm as a bath, claim her as she slid down into its depths, feeling Jon's arms around her. She felt weightless, perfect, immortal. Never in her life had she experienced such emotions, such abandonment. She let herself float in his arms, their bodies one with the sea. Katie took in the scenery as best as she could, trying to imprint these moments in her mind. Not one to hardly ever be without her camera, she wanted to somehow remember this moment forever. As she floated she looked up at the moon, thoughts came rushing in. It was then that she realized her life had been choreographed to bring her to this very moment in time. Everything she had ever felt, thought, experienced was leading her here. She knew without a doubt she was right where she was suppose be, right where fate had brought her.

Jon kissed her on the temple, "My beautiful mermaid, would you care to join me for a glass of wine?" He whispered.

Katie put her feet on the sandy ocean floor, nodding. "That sounds perfect. I will be there in one minute." She said, then dived away from him into the current.

Jon watched her, then walked back to the table and refreshed their glasses. He retired back to the blanket, wine glass in hand. He saw her head pop through the surface, then she rose up out of the water as she walked back towards the shore, her body outlined with a moonlit glow. One word popped in his head as he watched her, perfection. In every sense of the word, she was pure perfection.

Jon stood up to retrieve a towel, handing it to her as she joined him near the blanket. As he fetched her glass of wine from the table he watched her rub the towel over her glistening legs, up over her taunt stomach to her full breasts. It was the most sensual sight he had ever witnessed. He stood watching her until she realized he was still by the table, catching his gaze on her. He walked back as she let the towel fall to the ground. He then picked up his shirt offering it to her. She pulled the thin blue material over her shoulders, buttoning it up over her breasts. The shirt, being so thin, did nothing to hide the blush of her nipples or the swell of her breasts. He handed her the glass of wine as he shook his head, he tried to clear the fog from his thoughts. Katie looked at him, her lips forming a small smile. Having spent most of her life feeling like she wasn't good enough, that she had to protect herself from everyone and everything, she was enjoying the new sense of empowerment she felt being with him. Despite the fact of how gorgeous he was, no one had ever made her feel as beautiful as he did. Jon picked up a towel and dried off his remaining dampness, then slipped back into his jeans.

They sat enjoying the last of the wine, feeling slightly tipsy from either the wine or the company, neither sure which. The moon continued on its path, slipping away across the sky. Katie had laid down on the blanket putting her head in his lap. He stroked her hair as he listened to the waves. Finally taking a look at his watch, he was shocked to find it well past midnight.

He leaned over planting a light kiss on her lips. "Baby, we better get back." Katie sat up and nodded, reluctantly. "I promise to you, that we will come back, just you and me." Jon said as he stood up, helping her up after him.

"I am holding you to that, cowboy." she said as Jon shook out the blanket.

He then wrapped it around her and collected her things. They tiptoed up the path, finding the house dark except one light shining on the lanai. Jon closed the doors behind them, switching off the light, then followed Katie up the stairs. She hesitated at the door of her room, but Jon motioned her in. Once in the room he laid her dress and sandals on a chair, then pulled back the covers on the bed. Taking the blanket from her he waited while she slipped under the cool sheets. He groaned inwardly as he pulled the covers up to her chin, wishing he could join her. A quick kiss on her forehead, a whisper, "I love you," and he was gone. A smile spread across Katie's face as she wiggled her toes against the cool sheets, still wearing his shirt. God, life was good, she thought as she drifted into a deep slumber.

Only four hours after retiring to his room, Jon was greeted by two bundles of energy. He let Katie sleep until almost noon, but she returned the favor later, letting him take a nap while she took the younger boys on a seashell hunt. The rest of the week passed, full of fun, sun and sand. The last day approached and they sadly packed up, closing the door behind as the van waited out front for them. They all flew back to the east coast together, stopping briefly in San Fransisco to refuel. The plane landed in Boston late that Saturday night, dropping off Katie and the kids before returning to New York. Hugs were passed around as they said their goodbyes, Jon leaving Katie with a longer than intended kiss and a promise to see her in Nashville in two weeks, where the band was performing. Katie had arranged some time off to visit with her family and catch the show.

The weeks flew by for Katie. Despite the fact that she missed Jon terribly, she had a spring in her step that wasn't there before. Even Becca noticed it, demanding to know what was making her positively glow.

"You know, Kat. You are just radiant. What's going on? I know Jon is good for you, but its like you are bursting with sunshine. No offense, hon, but you are never that happy all the time." Becca demanded to know one day in early May as they both worked on their computers.

Katie couldn't put her finger on it, she just felt, well, happy. She shrugged her shoulders, "I don't know. I just feel good. Life is good. I just feel like smiling, is that wrong?" She teased Becca.

"No, not wrong at all. Just different." Becca said, giving Katie sideways glance. Later that day she even caught Katie singing while she straightened up the prop room. Becca shook her head, glad for whatever was making Katie so happy.

Half way across the country the band finished up a few shows in the southwest and headed back towards the east by way of the south, playing Nashville that weekend. They put on 3+ hour shows some nights, often with two or three encores. Jon would hear the stomping of the feet in the stands and direct everyone back out to the stage, a huge smile on his face. Richie especially noticed Jon's good mood, thinking that Jon should indeed take more vacations if he came back this happy. He told him such as they packed up from the last show before hitting Nashville two nights later.

Richie slapped Jon on the back, "Hey Kidd, you are on fire lately. What has gotten into you?" Richie asked. "Don't get me wrong, they love it, love us! You're always good, but man, you are smokin'!"

Jon shook his head, with a chuckle."Rich, I tell ya. I feel good. I am lovin' life right now."

Richie laughed, "That must have been some vacation, even with 6 kids around night and day?"

"It was a great vacation, but its more than that. All I can say is life is good, man. Real good." Jon said, leaving Richie standing in his dressing room with a befuddled expression on his face. Richie shrugged, grabbed his leather jacket and followed Jon.

Two nights later Jon watched for Katie to show up backstage as they prepared for the show. She had flown in the day before so she could spend some time with her parents. He was more nervous than usual that night, jumping each time someone opened his dressing room door. Finally he was greeted with Katie's beautiful face when the door opened. He met her before she could even close the door, picking her up in his arms and swinging her around. Before even saying hello, he buried his face in her hair, smelling the light fruity scent of her shampoo. Katie laughed, just as delighted to see him. He then kissed her deeply, finally allowing himself to pull away and give her a proper greeting.

"Well, hell, baby. It has been way too long. I am so glad your hear!" He said, letting his gaze travel from her head down to her toes, taking in her outfit. She wore skinny jeans tucked into knee high black boots, a royal blue tank top that was gathered with a low slung belt that lay across her hips. Her hair was as he loved it best, long and flowing, hitting the middle of her back. "Damn, Kat you look amazing."

She blushed, thanking him, "Well, thank you kindly sir, but you clean up pretty well yourself." She couldn't help but notice the skin tight leather tan pants he was wearing, resurrected from a few tours ago.

The door opened and Obie yelled in, "Show time in 5." He left with a wink in Katie's direction. Jon looked around for his white leather jacket, feeling in the pocket for a moment, then led Katie out the door into the main backstage area, leaving the jacket hanging over the chair. He kissed her before she followed Obie to her seat, promising to see her soon. They band was on fire that night, blowing the top off the Sommet Center. After nearly three hours and two encores, the lights went on one last time and the audience was greeted with Jon and Richie sitting on stools, acoustic guitars in hand. The lights were low as the audience realized what a treat they were in for. The opening cords began and they launched into a soul moving performance....Jon looking right at Katie for much of the song.




Diamond ring, wear it on your hand
It's gonna tell the world, I'm your only man
Diamond ring, diamond ring
Baby, you're my everything, diamond ring

Red, red rose brought it home to you
Blood red rose, tells me that you're true
Red, red rose, blood-red rose
Like a fire inside that grows, blood-red rose

When you're hungry, I will fill you up
When you're thirsty, drink out of my loving cup
When you're crying, I'll be the tears for you
There's nothing that I wouldn't do for you

When you're hungry, I will fill you up
When you're thirsty, drink out of my loving cup
When you're crying, I'll be the tears for you
There's nothing that I wouldn't do, know

You know I bleed every night you sleep
'Cause I don't know if I'm
in your dreams
I want to be your everything...

Diamond ring, wear it on your hand
It's gonna tell the world, I'm your only man
Diamond ring, diamond ring
Baby, you're my everything, diamond ring
Darling, you're my everything, diamond ring
Now, you've got me on your string... Diamond ring

The stadium went pitch black and before she knew what was happening Katie felt someone grab her hand and drag her from her seat. She was pulled past the stage, through the barricades and finally into the light of the backstage area where she realized Jon had somehow managed to jump down from the stage and bring her back here. On a mission he tugged her behind him towards his dressing room door, throwing it open, then slamming it behind them, latching the lock. Taking a moment to catch his breath he pulled a folding chair over and offered it for her to sit on. Too confused and flustered to speak, she sat, wringing her hands in her lap, waiting for him to say something. He was wearing the white leather jacket he had left abandoned earlier. He pulled a chair over in front of her and sat, taking her hands in his. She looked at him waiting for him to say something, anything.

He looked into her eyes for what felt like forever before he began, "My sweet Kat. I am not sure I can do this justice. But need to say a few things." He paused, looking at the floor for a moment. Bringing his eyes back to hers, he continued, "For most of my life I have been told I am lucky, that I have the most amazing life, everything anyone could wish for. I thought so, too. Until one day. One day I go to a photo shoot, dreading it. I hate them. But when you turned around and I saw the most beautiful pair of green eyes, all of a sudden it didn't seem so bad. Ever since I first laid eyes on you, you have gotten under my skin in a way I could not explain. And when I thought I may have lost you in the accident, God, Kat, that tore my heart straight out. I promised myself I would never let that happen, that I would never chance losing you again."

He paused, hanging his head low, feeling the threat of tears. taking a deep breath he looked up again, "And that brings me to the beach, laying there with you on the sand under the moonlight. Kat, I felt like I had come home." The second he said those words he saw the tears well up in her eyes and spill down her cheeks. He couldn't say anything more so reached into his coat pocket pulling out a small black box. Katie's eyes widened and she let out a small gasp. He looked straight into her eyes and opened the box, "Please Kat, please welcome me home. Will you please save my sorry soul and be my wife?"

Not able to contain her emotions any longer, Katie let out a sob, the tears taking over as her whole body shook. He let her release the emotion as he waited, not so patiently, for some sort of answer, or gesture that she might say yes. "So?" He asked, holding her hands in his.

Katie let out a laugh between the tears, and nodded her head, "Oh Jon. Yes. My God, Jon, YES!" He stood up wrapping his arms around her, plunging his fingers in her hair as he pulled her mouth to his. He kissed her deeply, his tears mixing with the saltiness of hers. Realizing he forgot something he backed away a bit, fumbling with the box. He gently took the ring out, then taking her hand he slipped the ring slowly on to her finger, the large diamond glistening. He admired its beauty on her graceful hand, then kissed it before looking up at her again.

He grabbed her head with one hand, pulling her to him, "Baby, I love you, more than anything. I never want to wake up another morning without knowing you will be next to me forever."

She caught her breath and managed a whisper, "You never will again. I love you, cowboy. God, I just love you." She said, choking back happy tears.

Outside the dressing room Richie looked for Jon after his hasty exit. Putting his hand on the knob he realized it was locked. A slow smile spread across his face as he put the pieces together, the good mood, the smiles, the song......it all made sense now. He tapped the knob and went on his way, whistling under his breath, happy for his best friend.

Chapter 68

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just brillant, the chapters just keep getting better well done.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!

Bayaderra said...

Yay!!!! He popped the question!!!!
MORE!!!! PLEASE!!!

heatherbonjovi said...

Omg!! what a great chapter! Yay!!, more please!

Kris said...

YES! Can't wait for more!!