
Katie and Becca headed towards Jon's dressing room since he had said to go right in. She opened the door slowly, not bothering to knock. What she saw when she opened the door made her heart feel like it had stopped beating. Stopping short, all she could do was stare, her mouth open wide in shock. What Katie saw was Jon wrapped around some slutty woman, kissing her and letting his fingers do the walking. What Becca saw was not quite the same thing. She could see the woman was obviously the one pursuing the kiss. It all took place in the span of a millisecond, but seemed like forever to Katie. Finally finding the will to move she turned around and ran towards the back stage door, Becca close on her heels.
"Kat! Wait! Slow down, will ya? Listen to me for a minute!" Becca yelled.
But it was no use, Katie fled from the arena through the back entrance and ran toward the street in front of the venue. Once reaching the curb she waved down a passing taxi that screeched to a halt in front of them. Katie jumped into the taxi before Becca could convince her otherwise. Just as the door closed and the taxi took off, Becca looked out and saw Jon running toward the street. He was gone as they turned a corner.
"To the airport, please." Katie demanded, trying to talk through her tears.
Becca knew it was useless to try and stop the taxi at the moment. If Jon really had been the one attacked, she knew he would eventually convince Katie of it. Katie tended to react on impulse when it came to emotional situations like this. She couldn't blame her since what she went through with Kevin. Katie had taken his word for it and excepted all his explanations for months before she finally would let herself believe he was cheating on her. Right now what Becca needed to do was try to calm Katie down and make sure she didn't do anything stupid.
"Kat, listen. Why don't we go back to the hotel and wait until after the show. I am sure he has a very good explanation." Becca begged.
Katie shook her head as she sobbed. "No. I just want to go home."
Becca reached into her handbag and handed Katie a tissue. She rubbed her friend's back as they sped towards the airport, waiting for the torrent of tears to subside. Finally it did as the taxi turned into the airport terminal. Becca paid the driver and followed Katie to the ticket counter. They found a flight that was leaving the gate in 20 minutes, so Becca once again tried to keep up with her as she rushed to the gate. Security didn't take long since they had nothing to check, everything had been left back at the hotel. They reached the gate just as they were about to close the doors. Once they were seated Becca asked the flight attendant for a box of tissues. She held the tissues while Katie shed more tears. Luckily it wasn't a full flight, so they were left in peace as the plane entered the runway, ready to fly back to Boston.
Back at the arena Jon had found the strength to overcome the woman's advances and pushed her away as he ran out of the dressing room to the outside in an attempt to stop Katie. He saw her and Becca get into a taxi and speed away. He hung his head in defeat, knowing it was too late to reach her now. He walked back to the arena only to find the DJ woman still in his dressing room.
"I asked you before to leave, now I am telling you. Get out." He roared. She made a hasty exit, deciding it best not to say anything more. He slammed the door behind her, then sat in the chair, his head in his hands. Fuck, he thought.
"FUCK!" He yelled, standing up and hitting his hand on the dressing table, knocking bottles of hair products to the ground.
There was a light knock on the door followed by Obie peeking in, "15 minutes to showtime!" He said, having no clue what had just transpired.
"Fine!" Jon growled at him, slamming the door in Obie's face, barely missing his nose. Obie stood staring at the door for a second shaking his head. He then went to find Richie and let him deal with it.
Finding Richie talking to the guitar roadie, Obie slapped him in the back, "Rich. You need to go talk to the Kidd. He is in a MOOD!. Get him out of it, will ya."
Richie nodded, "Sure. What is his problem?"
"Don't ask me, but he is pissed about something." Obie said, then was off to check on last minute details.
Richie wondered what had happened this time as he made his way to Jon's dressing room. He knocked and let himself in, finding Jon leaning on the dressing table staring into the mirror. He looked terrible.
"Hey, Kidd. What's up?" he said, looking in the mirror at Jon as he put his hand on Jon's shoulder.
Jon let out a deep sigh and turned toward Richie. "That damn DJ decided to do a little uninvited oral exploration and Katie walked in." Jon said, visibly upset. "She ran out and got into a cab. I didn't even get a chance to talk to her."
"Oh man. That sucks. Maybe she went back to the hotel. You can explain after the show." Richie said, hoping to calm him down. There was 5 minutes to show time and Jon needed to get his act together. Jon shook his head as he turned away from Richie. "Listen, Jon. I am sorry she saw that. But we have to get movin'. We have a show to put on. I am sure you can talk to her later." Richie said, just as Obie peeked back in. Obie looked at Richie raising his eyebrows. It was show time and the star was clearly not in a performing mood.
Jon turned around, "Fine! Lets go." he snarled, grabbing a leather jacked and storming towards the stage.
The rest of the band was already taking the stage as Jon and Richie made their way out in the dark. Jon grabbed the mic stand in a death grip, his head resting on his arm as the opening cords played. He sang without much emotion to the words, it appearing as if he was wading through quick sand just waiting to finish. The night didn't yield any acrobatics or visits to the pits. Even the maracas rested in the original place untouched. After the second song Jon greeted Chicago with a curt hello, then launched into the next song. No band introductions, no encores and a set list that wrapped up after an hour and 40 minutes. Oblivious to the stomping and clapping from the fans, Jon exited the stage proceeding to his dressing room. He grabbed another jacket and his cell phone. He rang Christoph to bring the car around to the back immediately. As he hung up the phone he noticed he had a voicemail.
Dialing in he was greeted with Becca's voice, "Jon, we are flying back to Boston. Get your ass here ASAP!" he closed the phone with a loud click as Christoph slowed to a stop in front of the door.
Jon hopped in and instructed, "To the airport, Christoph. We have to fly to Boston now."
"Yes, sir." Christoph answered, looking at his employer in the rear view mirror. "Everything ok, sir?"
"I just have some urgent business to attend to." Jon muttered, sinking back into the leather seat as he stared out the window, his face drawn.
Back in Boston Katie and Becca departed from the plane and headed to the parking garage. Becca insisted she drive, deciding Katie was in no shape for it. Katie handed over the keys with no protest. Becca decided to let her be for a bit as they headed back to the Katie's house. After they were inside, Becca rummaged in the fridge finding a bottle of wine. She opened it and poured a glass for Katie, who sat at the island, her face sullen. Katie took the glass but sat it on the counter untouched.
"Drink it, Kat. It will help." Becca said. Katie complied, feeling the sweet, dry liquid on her tongue. After a few more sips she started to feel her body relax a bit. Becca stood up and motioned for her to sit in the living room.
Taking a deep breath Becca said, "Kat. Listen to me for a minute, ok? I don't think you should jump to conclusions right now. I am not totally sure she didn't throw herself at him. It looked to me like he was about to push her away. I know what you think you saw, but I don't really think that was what was going on."
Katie looked at Becca, her expression blank. "I don't know. It sure looked like what I think it looked like. He may just say it was a part of the job, a part of the act. But not to me." Katie blew her nose again.
"All I am saying is that I think you should give him a chance to explain this. You know how nuts some women get around him, Kat. It can be a part of the job. But I don't think he encouraged it. I really don't. Just let him say his piece, ok?" Becca pleaded. She felt that if Katie would just listen to him, there would be a good explanation. But she knew Katie, and she was so pig headed sometimes.
"I don't know right now. Right now I would rather just forget about it." Katie retorted
Becca let out a sigh. "Ok, then, how about we watch a movie?"
"Fine." Katie said, thinking maybe a distraction was a good idea. Becca ordered a movie and they settled in to watch it. When the movie was over a couple hours later, Becca turned the TV off. Katie looked tired, she thought.
"Ok, Kat. I think you should try and get some sleep." She suggested.
Katie nodded, "You're right. I'm going to turn in then. Thanks, sweetie. I do appreciate it. I just don't want to think about anything right now." She said, looking sadly at Becca.
"Do you want me to stay here tonight?" Becca asked.
Katie shook her head, "No, I'll be ok. Oh, we took my car. Take it if you want to go home and bring it back tomorrow." She said.
Becca nodded, "I'll do that. I will call you in the morning, but not too early." She said, secretly hoping maybe Katie would be busy. She gave Katie a hug, "Night, sweetie."
"Night, Becca. Thanks." Katie said. She sat on the sofa sipping the her wine just listening to the silence. Just as she was thinking about heading up to bed she heard a loud knock on the front door. Figuring Becca had forgotten something she went to open it.
Christoph landed the plane in Boston while Jon called to arrange for a car to be waiting for them. He drummed his fingers on the window of the plane as they landed, his face contemplative. He knew he was going to have some explaining to do. And he knew why she reacted the way she had. She may not even realize exactly why, he thought. Once on the ground and the plane was secure, Christoph brought the car to the tarmac and Jon sped out of Boston leaving Christoph to take the plane back for the rest of the band. They would all want to leave tomorrow, even though the next show wasn't for a week. The car raced along under the spring moon, shining so brightly it left moon shadows on the ground. He finally reached Katie's house after what felt like an eternity. Not seeing her car, but seeing the living room light on, he bound up the front stairs and knocked on the door.
Katie opened the door, "What did you.....?" she said, her words lost when she saw Jon standing there.
She started to close the door, but he put his hand on it, "Kat, please. Let me come in and talk. Please." He pleaded, waiting.
She turned around walking back to the living room, but left the door open. He entered and closed the door, then followed her. She sat on the sofa looking at him with her accusing green eyes. It was a look that broke his heart. He knew she thought he had done something to hurt her, and this was the result. He sat next to her, his hands laying idly in his lap.
"Kat, please listen to what I have to say, ok?" He asked.
"So talk." She said, looking down at her feet still encased in the green shoes.
"Ok. Well, first of all, what you thought happened didn't happen. Well, it did. But not the way you think." he stammered, she looked up at him with a puzzled expression. "I mean it did. But it wasn't me. She was the woman from the radio station who was supposed to interview me. It soon became clear she was interested in more than my interview. And when I asked her to wrap it up she forced herself on me. Kat, I hate to say it, but it happens. I did not encourage her one bit. I swear! Please, baby. Believe what I am telling you. I love you. I would never, ever do anything to hurt you like that. Never. " He said, looking at her with solemn eyes.
Katie could see how it would happen. But still, his hands had been on her breasts. Did that just happen, she thought. "What about your bit of exploratory play I witnessed?" She said, accusingly.
"Kat, she grabbed my hands as I was trying to push her away. You walked in at the exact worst moment. I understand how you think it could have been the other way around from what you saw. But please. You have to know me better than that. After all these months you have to know how much I love you." He said, with a sigh. He didn't know what else to say or do to prove to her it was all a big misunderstanding. "Do you really think I would go after something like that, when I have this waiting for me after a show?" He said, gesturing towards her. "Come on, I have much better taste than that." He looked at her, thinking how beautiful, but sad she looked. His eyes taking on a sad puppy quality.
Finally letting out a big sigh, Katie said, "I didn't know what to think at first. I was just so shocked. I just had to get out of there. I couldn't think straight."
"I understand, baby, I really do. But you have to know in your soul that I really didn't pursue that, that woman." He said, sounding disgusted at the thought.
His tone made Katie crack a small smile. Jon saw it and moved over next to her, knowing he had broken through. He knew what had happened with her ex. He also knew he was going to have to explain some things about this business and how it could affect her. He realized she knew about all of that since she had been a fan before meeting him. But he also realized her role was now very different. Much more personal. But right now all he wanted to do was hold her. That conversation could wait for another time. He took his jacket off and wrapped his arms around her. She didn't flinch and didn't move away. She was stiff for a second, then melted into his embrace.
Chapter 61


1 comment:
Oh good Job Kat, for letting Jon explain. It's a tough place to be in, having a relationship with a man like that but you're a strong woman, you can handle it. I suggest, you go give that slut of an interviewer a piece of your mind....or the end of your boots, lol.
Great chapter. So glad you are finding time to write. This is a great story!! Thank you!!
Colleen
Post a Comment