
The next day dawned bright and warm, spring taking a firm hold on the land. The ringing of the phone woke Katie. She untangled herself as gently as she could from Jon's arms without waking him and sprinted downstairs.
"Hello." She answered, her free hand fiddling with the coffee maker.
"Katie, it's Marge. I am down at the stable and it looks like the Campbell's mare is due to deliver very soon. She is about a week early, but all looks good " Said, Marge, the stable vet. Another owner of a horse boarding at the same stable as Katie's horses, had asked if she would document the birth of the foal. Wanting to break into equine photography, Katie couldn't pass up the chance. Not many horses gave birth at the stable.
"Wow, what timing. Marge, thanks for the heads up. I was supposed to be out of town, but just so happens I can come. I will see you shortly." Katie answered. After hanging up she quickly changed, jotted a note to Jon and grabbed her camera gear.
Down at the stable she found Marge in with the mare, who was circling the large stall, clearly preoccupied.
"Hey, Katie. Good to see you." Marge greeted her, giving her a quick hug. "I'm just letting her labor. She is doing fine, but it won't be long now."
Katie nodded, watching the soon to be mama pace around in the straw. "She sure looks ready. How exciting! I don't think there has been a new baby here for a few years."
Marge nodded and smiled as the mare let out a few grunts and a low nicker as she decided laying down would be the thing to do, her breathing heavy. Katie took her camera out snapping a few of the mare, who lifted her head to study Katie for a moment.
"Hey, girl. Relax, mama. I am just going to take some baby pictures." Katie said, speaking softly to the mare, who put her head back down in the straw at the sound of Katie's soothing voice.
She heard a familiar whinny from a few stalls down, knowing Spirit had heard her voice. She took a few minutes to greet the horses and came back to find the mare very close to delivery as she strained, a tiny nose and forelegs appearing in the water bag, then slipping back in as the mare's breathing became heavier. Katie quietly entered the large stall where Marge was already standing to the side. Marge smiled, neither of them speaking, but both in awe. Katie had seen a few foals born, but it never ceased to amaze her. She started snapping pictures as the tiny foal began to make more of an appearance, still encased in it's sack, first one shoulder, then the other popping out. The mare let out a low groan as she stood up and the foal slipped out onto the straw with a tiny plop, followed by the afterbirth. Mama turned around to investigate the goings on behind her and nuzzled the foal. Marge tied and cut the cord before the mare could tangle herself in it, then backed away leaving mama to her new baby. Katie continued to take pictures as the mare nuzzled and licked her foal, cleaning the new baby off. After a few minutes the little one tried to stand, without much success. Katie lowered the camera as she watched, then heard footsteps behind her. She turned to find Jon walking towards them. Despite the miracle in front of her, she had to admire the site of him in faded jeans, boots and a jean jacket, his hair seeing no more than a a quick comb through with his fingers. Jon came up beside her and put his arm around her shoulder. Not saying a word he smiled at her, then looked at the new arrival.
Katie whispered, "Isn't she a beauty?"
Jon nodded and watched as Katie continued snapping. The foal was a lovely chestnut, still gleaming from it's journey into the world. After a few more attempts it managed to stand next to it's mama on spindly legs, and searched for it's first meal.
After making sure the mare would let the baby feed, Marge motioned to them, "It might be best if we let them get acquainted for a bit." she spoke low.
Katie nodded and took Jon's hand as she led him outside to a bench.
"Well, good morning, cowboy." she said, feeling the morning sun warming her cheek.
"Morning, yourself." Jon said, giving her neck a nuzzle of his own. "That was beautiful. What luck that you were able to capture it."
Katie nodded, laughing, "Maybe it is a good thing I stormed out last night after all. I would have missed it."
Jon laughed, "Well, true. But I would have preferred you with me." He admitted.
"I know. Jon, I'm sorry. I overreacted. I am in a strange place right now. Some areas of your life are a struggle for me. Well not some, really just one." She said, a frown wrinkling her brow.
"Kat, it's ok. I'm just glad that you believe I would never do that to you. Or do that, period. Not with some random slut that wanders into my dressing room. Maybe 25 years ago, but not today. " He laughed, knowing his younger days involved more of a revolving door of women.
"I can see that now. And I knew that before last night. I just...don't know what got into me." She said, sheepishly.
Jon put his arm around her giving her a gentle squeeze. "What do you say we take a ride? I haven't been out since last fall." he said.
"That sounds good." Katie agreed. They helped themselves to coffee and bagels in the stable office, left out for everyone on weekend mornings, and saddled up the horses.
Honey chomped on the bit and pulled at the reigns, ready to run in the fresh spring air.
"You want to run, don't you, girl?" Katie said, rubbing Honey's neck.
Katie looked over her shoulder at Jon with a nod, gave Honey the length she wanted and let her go. Jon followed suit, urging Spirit on with a gentle kick of his heels. Taking Jon's hint, and not wanting to be left behind, Spirit let out a snort and took off at a full gallop. They sped along the path and burst into an open field, Honey finally deciding a snack might be in order. She slowed to a walk reaching down at the newly sprouting grasses. Katie slowed her to a stop and hopped off, letting Honey munch. Jon stopped next to her and dismounted. They secured the horses to a tree and let them graze, then found a flat rock to rest on next to a trickling stream, running full from the winter melt. Katie laid back on the rock, warmed by the late morning sun. Jon leaned over her and looked into the green depths of her eyes, then slowly tickled her lips with his, teasing them lightly. Every time Katie tried to deepen the kiss, he would pull away, his lips forming a slight smirk. She finally dissolved in laughter at his antics, gave up and laid back on the rock, letting out a deep sigh.
Jon watched her for a second, then asked, "Penny for your thoughts, baby?" Looks like the weight of the worlds on your shoulders now...
She turned toward him, her face thoughtful. Sitting up, she said, "I was just thinking about yesterday again. I am realizing something." She paused, looking down as she traced an imaginary shape on the rock.
"Go on, Kat. I'm listening." Jon urged.
With another sigh she continued, "Not really sure how to put it. I am struggling a bit with some areas of your life. Really the bi products of you being who you are. I'm surprised by it, frankly. " She admitted.
Jon nodded, "Kat, I understand. You are a part of my life now, a big part. The biggest part. And it is a completely different life than you have ever been a part of before. I have no doubt it is overwhelming at times." He said.
"Yes, that's it. Please don't get me wrong. I get it. I understand the audience, the fans, I get all of that. I was there once, right? I think last night was a realization of what is going on in my life right now. All the changes. It was as if last night seeing you for that split second with that, woman, I realized that you are really mine. That this is real. We keep growing closer. I knew that before, but this was different. On one hand I wanted to grab the hussy by her bleached fried hair and yell, "Back off, bitch, he's mine!" " Katie admitted, with a laugh. "It was the first time I felt possessive, the first time I felt I even had a claim on you. And with what I dealt with before with Kevin, I guess jealousy reared its ugly head. I can see I am going to have to get used to some things that go along with you being who you are. How in the hell did Dot ever get used to that?"
"Well, first of all, she was a part of the process. You aren't. You have been thrown into it. It will take some adjusting, no doubt. I just hope deep down you will eventually realize, Kat, that much of it is the act. There is the occasional fan that does think it is ok to go in for the attack. It goes along with who I am. But it isn't where my heart and soul reside. They reside right here." He said, taking her chin in his hand and leaning in to kiss her softly on the lips, this time no teasing involved. Just a slow, deep exploration.
Jon pulled back looking her deep into her eyes, his expression serious. "Your everything to me, baby. Please don't ever doubt that."
Katie returned his gaze, feeling herself drowning in his baby blues. How could she have ever doubted him, she thought. "I won't. Never again."
He leaned over her, claiming her mouth with his. Katie felt herself change in an instant. Change from being scared of what life could do to her, to being open to all the possibilities it could hold for her.
Chapter 62


3 comments:
Thank you so much for the new chapter I am loving this story please keep writing.
Great chapter. So glad Katie opened up to him. Honesty is the best policy in any relationship.
Colleen
Thank you!! We will keep writing! Promise! Thank you for reading. I love seeing the comments come it, keeps the story flowing!
Post a Comment