
The snow storm hung around the Boston area until well into Sunday afternoon, when a few blue patches finally peeped through the clouds. Jon decided to stay though Sunday night to give the roads a chance to clear since he had driven. Late Sunday afternoon after they shoveled Katie's driveway, Jon mulled over an idea while they sat by the fire drinking cider. He decided he would run it by Katie and see what she had to say.
"Kat, I had an idea pop into my head earlier today and I wanna know what you think." Jon said. "I am wondering what you would think about us taking a family vacation together. You, me, all the kids." He hesitated a moment awaiting her reaction.
A little caught off guard by the idea, Katie put down her cider as she thought the possibility over. "Well, yes. I think depending on where and when, the idea is not a bad one. I know the waters are calm on my end, but fireworks could fly on yours." She said, tossing the idea around in her mind. "Did you have anything particular in mind?"
Thinking her response promising, he threw out his idea. "Well, with the shows this coming month it would be hard, but I was thinking maybe April? Someplace warm, beachy, all inclusive, maybe our own private beach. Say, how about Hawaii?"
Katie had to smile. It sounded so, well, so lifestyles of the rich and famous, she thought. Kevin and her had taken the kids to Florida for a vacation kind of like that years ago. Of course they didn't have their own beach.
"That sounds amazing. I just need to see where I am at this month." She said tentatively.
It was her slow season, and with the accident, business had taken a back burner for a few weeks. Being ever responsible, her first thought was funding such a trip. Jon noticed her expression cloud over a bit, and realized where her thoughts were.
"Baby, I don't want to upset you or step on your toes, but for once will you let me treat you like I think you should be treated. I know what you're thinking, and just this once please don't worry about it? Please?" He begged, taking her hand kissing it lightly on the palm. "I would love to do this for us."
A slow smile spread across her lips, maybe he was right. Nodding, she said, "Ok, sure. Let's do it! Brandon and Sophia are going to SO excited, you have no idea." She hesitated, a though crossing her mind, "Are you sure Steph will be up for this?"
Jon appreciated her concern, "She may not embrace the idea right away, but frankly she has to realize that I have moved on. It is has been over a year now since the divorce. She will be ok, don't worry."
They finalized plans that evening before turning in for the night. In the morning the sun shown brightly, reflecting off the newly fallen snow. Jon left early as Katie headed off to the studio, her first session at 9 a.m.
Thursday morning just after the bus picked up the kids, Katie's phone rang. Taking a quick sip of coffee, she answered, seeing Jon's number.
"Well, hey there, cowboy. To what do I owe this nice surprise?" She smiled into the phone.
"Hey, baby. I am calling to tell you I have a place in Maui booked for the week of school vacation. Right on the beach, plenty of room for the kids to spread out." Jon said, the excitement evident in his voice.
"That sounds heavenly. It will be so nice to get away. I haven't been somewhere like that in years and years." She said, already imagining the warm ocean breeze on her cheek.
"I am glad you approve. It is all private, so no one will bug us. It is also a part of a country club that has a lot of activities for the kids." He stopped, hoping she didn't ask too many more questions.
"Amazing! I hope you didn't go all out or anything, I won't feel right." She said, her expression pensive.
"Don't worry, darlin'. It is no big deal. Really." he said, trying to curtail any more questions. He couldn't wait for her to see the place. He knew Brandon and Sophia would have a blast. He wanted to give her the world, but knew if he tried too fast, he better duck for cover.
"Ok, if you're sure....." She said, her voice trailing off.
He cut her off, "I am sure. This will be good for us. For all of us."
Saying their goodbyes, Katie had visions of the beach in her eyes as she trudged through the slush to the studio. She had not mentioned it to the kids yet, wanting details first. When they got off the bus that day she sat them down at the kitchen island, both of them wondering what was up. Nothing would surprise them at this point.
Katie pulled up a stool and began, "Ok guys, I want to run something by you. Jon and I have been talking and we have decided that all of us are going on a trip together over school vacation in April. What do you think." She blurted.
Sophia's interest was peaked. "Oh, fun! All of us as in ALL of us? Where?"
"Maui. And yes, all of us." Katie said, waiting the response. Sophia's eyes big, her mouth open in an O. "Oh, Maui. WOW! Really? Oh. My. God. Everyone is going to be SO jealous." Sophia exclaimed as she stood up and started to pace. "I am going to need a new suit. Or maybe two. Wow. Maui!"
Brandon was a little slower on the uptake, but no less excited at the prospect. "Mom, can I learn to surf?" he asked, his mind racing, "And snorkel. I have always wanted to snorkel."
Katie laughed, nodding her head, "Yes, all of that." Well, at least they were receptive to the idea, she thought, not the least bit surprised.
Jon wasn't as fortunate when he told Steph. The boys had taken the news in stride, excited for a vacation with their dad. Steph, on the other hand, greeted the news with much eye rolling and sighing.
For Jon the following week was filled with prep work for the upcoming tour. They had twelve cities booked, bringing them to the middle of May. Then planned a few stadium shows for the summer. With back to back tours for the last two albums, everyone in the band agreed a smaller tour was in order this time around. Richie was working on some solo projects. Jon was toying with the idea of perhaps trying another movie role in the coming fall. David was having a great run with his plays and had a vocal album of his own in the beginning stages. Becca had convinced him that his fans would love hearing an album from him, complete with vocals, unlike his other album which had been mainly piano music. Tico was tossing around the idea of starting up an an educational art program that would go into schools in underprivileged areas.
Everyone gathered back in New York the weekend before the start of the tour. Spring was in the air, being the middle of March and everyone was ready to hit the road. They spent the weekend in the studio practicing a variety of songs and headed out to Boston for the opening show. Katie and Becca were going to be a part of the audience, of course. The kids were at their dad's house for the weekend and were not to happy to miss the show, but were off to New Hampshire for one last ski weekend before the end of the season. Katie had invited the band out to her house for brunch before they headed to the arena for a sound check in the afternoon. Christoph turned the limo into Katie's driveway at 10 a.m. just as Katie was putting some finishing touches on an extensive spread. She smiled to herself as she put out fresh squeezed juice on the island. She used to love to entertain and had enough space, but had not taken the time in the few years she has lived in the carriage house. She was looking forward to having them all over. Becca was due over any minute as well. She turned around just as she heard a knock on the front door. In walked Jon followed by David, Richie and Tico. Jon picked her up in a big bear hug and swung her around.
He planted a big kiss on her lips as he set her down, "Hello, beautiful." He lingered for a long second as he smiled down at her.
She returned the quick kiss, and with a smile and a swat on his denim clad ass, said, "Hello, yourself. Let me welcome my guests, will ya?"
He pretended to pout as she walked over to the guys, greeting them one by one, each of them giving her a big hug and kiss on the cheek. They were beginning to feel like brothers to her. After everyone was settled around the island, Katie retrieved a bottle of champagne from the fridge and handed it to Jon to open for mimosas. Jon handled the task like an old pro, the bottle making a small sigh as it was exposed to the air. After preparing the celebratory beverage, they all clinked glasses. Becca came in through the side door just as they finished, the kitchen filled with happy chatter. David put down his glass and went to greet Becca, leading her over to a bar stool next to him, but not before planting a lingering kiss on her more than eager lips.
She whispered as she pulled away, "I missed you."
"As I did you. You have no idea, Becca." He gave her a wink and they sat with back down.
After brunch they moved into the living room, Richie and Tico insisting they would clean up. Katie protested but finally gave in, following Jon, David and Becca into the living room. Jon started a fire and sat down next to Katie on the floor by the fireplace. Katie leaned back against Jon, her back resting against his chest. Jon told Katie and Becca where they were headed next and the run down of the tour schedule. Katie and Becca decided they would take a long weekend and join them in two weeks when the band performed in Chicago. Soon Tico and Richie joined them. Everyone chatted for a while longer until Jon looked at his watch, seeing it was almost 1 p.m.
"Well, boys. We better saddle up and get going. We have a show to put on!" He stood up, taking Katie's hand and pulling her up. They collected their coats and said their goodbyes.
Jon was last out the door and turned before he left to give Katie one more hug. "I will see you in a few hours, baby. You have the passes so come around to the back. They will let you right in."
Katie nodded, smiling, "I can't wait, cowboy. Watching you on stage is the biggest turn on." She said, her voice low so no one else could hear.
Jon shook his finger at her, "You be a good girl." He mouthed to her. He gave Becca a quick wave and was out the door.
Chapter 59


No comments:
Post a Comment