
It seemed like Tuesday took forever to get there. Katie had a photo shoot in the morning and watched the Soul on Sunday afternoon, as they won the Championship 56 to 59. Normally not a football fan, she really enjoyed the game. It would have been more fun to watch with Becca. But Katie enjoy the small glimpses of Jon they showed now and then. At one point the camera panned to him and he blew a kiss at it. She had goosebumps, but couldn't be sure the kiss was meant for her. There were many family and friends there with him.
She spent Monday at the studio finishing up the photos. Afterward she walked to the stable and took her mare, Honey, for a leisurely ride in the woods. When she got back to the house she noticed a missed call on her cell phone. It was Jon's number. Hm, wonder what he was calling for, she thought. She called the number and felt the butterflies as she heard the familiar smooth voice on the other end.
"Katie, hello, darlin'. I hope I wasn't bothering you."
"Jon, hello and congratulations on the win! I was watching the whole game. I am so excited for you. And no, you're not bothering me at all. Is everything ok, still on for tomorrow?" Katie had to admit she was a bit worried there might be a change in plans.
"No, not a thing wrong. And yes, we are still on for tomorrow. I was just thinking about dinner the other night and how much I enjoyed your company. I figured why not just call and say hi. I hope you don't mind." Jon asked.
"Mind? No, not at all. I feel the same way. So tell me, who was the lucky one the kiss was directed to yesterday?" Katie's said with a sly smile.
"Oh, that. Yes." Jon chuckled. "I admit it was a spontaneous gesture, but it was directed at you. You said you would be watching. I wanted to some how thank you for your good luck wishes, because they worked!" It was obvious he was very excited at the win.
"Very well deserved, I think. Those boys can play ball." She smiled to herself. She had enjoyed the game more than she thought she would. There might just be a new fan in the making.
"Ah, thank you. I really appreciate that because we have worked hard to get where we are. Well, I am a bit tired from the flight so think I will have an early dinner and hit the sack. But I am really looking forward to tomorrow, so see you then?" Jon said as he yawned.
"Sounds wonderful and yes, you sound tired. Get some rest!" Katie hung up after they finished their goodbyes. That man really did work hard. No doubt he was tired after all the celebrating the team must have done afterward. She really admired this side of him, working with the team, and how involved he was. It wasn't often the owners were so hands on and at the games.
Katie decided to order Chinese and pop in a movie. Her mind kept wandering back to Jon, and she needed something to distract her this evening. She and Becca had been in touch earlier in the day when she gave her a rundown of the dinner. She had no doubt Becca would be all over her when she got back from vacation later in the week. She didn't mind, she was glad to have someone to share the excitement of all the happenings with.
Back in the studio Tuesday morning, Katie busied herself with proofing some of Sunday's session while she waited for the time to tick by. She felt like a silly school girl these last few days. She had no idea where this was heading, nor did she really let herself think about that much. She was just going to enjoy the ride. After so many years of watching and listening to this band, and it's front man, she had no idea how wonderful he was on a personal level as well. He really was the whole package, just as wonderful in real life as he seemed on stage and in the media.
Katie checked her watch and saw it was time to order their lunch. She decided on a picnic style lunch of fried chicken and all the fixings from a restaurant/caterer down the street. Something easy they could pick at while going over the photos. She put her iPod on the dock and cranked the volume a bit as she continued to work and wait for the lunch. Jon would be there in about thirty minutes. At one point she decided to grab a Diet Coke.
As she made her way to the storage room and the fridge, she couldn't help but to take a moment to grab an air microphone and belt out the chorus, while throwing in a few dance moves, to the current song on the iPod.
We've got to hold on to what we've got
'Cause it doesn't make a difference
If we make it or not
We've got each other and that's a lot For love - we'll give it a shot
We're half way there
Livin' on a prayer
Take my hand and we'll make it - I swear
Livin' on a prayer
Jon heard the familiar cords as he walked up to the door of the studio. He was a bit early, but he was anxious to see Katie again and see her work. Even though they had really only seen each other twice, he could not get her out of his mind. As he came up to the studio door he realized she may not hear him with the music up so loud, so he figured he would just go right in. As he turned the knob and slowly opened the door, he was met with the site of Katie shimming around on the studio floor, singing at the top of her lungs. He stopped to just watch her as a smile took over his face. Katie swung around with her eyes closed right during a climax in the chorus. When she opened her eyes she saw Jon standing at the door, dressed in tan cargo shorts and a faded, blue t-shirt, watching her with a big grin on his face. She froze, not sure what to do, and she could feel the heat rising into her face. Jon continued to stand there, just grinning at her. She realized he was not going to do anything to help out her embarrassment.
"Oh! Jon! You're early!" She stammered. "I wasn't expecting you for a bit yet." Katie wanted to disappear into the floor.
He finally closed the door and walked into the studio. "I am sorry, I didn't mean to startle you. I hope I am not too early. I was anxious to see the photos, and the photographer." He kept smiling at her. "I really enjoyed your performance." He finally let a little laugh escape. He didn't want to make her feel bad, but he couldn't help but laugh a little.
"Oh, no, you're not too early at all. I just, I guess, I got into the music just a little bit. It is a great song." She said as she was finally able to meet his eyes, still flushed from the shock of it all. She quickly ran to find the remote and turned the volume down. "Please. Come in. I was just about to grab a soda, would you like anything? I have Diet Coke, Coke, sparkling water...."
"Water would be perfect, thank you." Jon let his gaze wander around the studio walls as he waited for Katie. She really did beautiful work, he thought, as he studied the portraits she had displayed. He noticed her iPod dock and went over to check out her song selection. He scrolled through and realized she had it filled with only one band, Bon Jovi. The realization made him smile. Not only that, but she had all the unreleased demos and studio tracks on it as well. She really was a hard core fan. He found himself deeply touched by that fact.
She came back with the beverages and set them on the trunk that served as a cocktail table in front of the sofa in the viewing area.
"I kind of like your taste in music, Ms. McKenzie." She looked at him curiously for using her last name. "I see you have gone far and wide to complete your collection, even down to the bootlegs." Jon had to laugh when he saw her squirm a bit.
"Uh, oops, Sorry! Yes, I love it all, I will admit it. I hope you aren't upset...." she asked sheepishly.
Jon let threw his head back and let out a hearty laugh."I could not mind any less, and frankly, I am extremely flattered and touched." He walked over to her and patted her on the shoulder. "I just had to give you a bad time."
"Phew, oh good. I have wondered what you thought of people getting their hands on that stuff. Some of it is just wonderful." She defended herself.
She had a projector set up so clients could see their portraits life sized. "Jon, come on over here and have a seat. I will bring the photos up on the projector screen." She was still a bit shaken from him seeing her impromptu performance. Just then there as a knock on the studio door. Lunch had arrived. Katie brought everything over the trunk and spread it out.
Jon sat on the sofa. When she came to sit next to him after setting the projector up, he gave her a spontaneous squeeze with his arm around her shoulder and a quick peck on the cheek. It was such a quick gesture, but felt perfect at that moment. She smiled at him and brought the lights down with the remote. They began eating and watching the screen.
As the photos faded in and out on the screen, Jon realized just how talented she was at what she did. "Katie, I am so very impressed with these. I would never know that you didn't do this type of shoot all the time. I am certainly not full of myself, but you managed to make me look so relaxed. Very nice!" He loved the backdrop of the river and the old mill buildings. It was just the idea he was going for with the solo album. Just back to the raw basics.
"Thank you. I admit I had a wonderful time shooting them. But the model made it all very easy." She said graciously. "I need you to pick the ones you want to send over to the promo company. I can give you a disc of proofs so you can look them over at your leisure. I am not sure of your time line with the record company."
"That would be great. I can pick out my favorites say, by Friday? Didn't you say you were leaving on vacation after that?" Jon asked, hoping to find out more about her vacation plans.
Katie wiped her mouth with a napkin after finishing up. "Yes, I am. I don't actually have any concrete plans as of yet. I figured I would take a few day trips locally, then see what felt good and take a week somewhere. I also thought about taking a few days in New York for something different."
"That sounds like a good idea. You have so many beautiful places to travel close by." Jon said, but stopped for a moment before continuing, "Katie, I am not sure exactly how to say this, so I am just going to say it. I have really enjoyed seeing you the these last few days. I really enjoy your company and feel so good when I am with you. I want to keep seeing you. There, I said it." He looked at her waiting to see her response.
Katie was caught in the moment. Those eyes, those words, directed at her. All she could do was nod and answer, "Yes, I would love that." She breathed a deep sigh and continued, "I have so thoroughly enjoyed your company as well. It has been a few days of many surprises, that is for sure." She laughed.
"Oh good!" Jon had to admit he was relieved. Katie did not seem like the kind of woman that would just go out with him because of who he was. He admired that about her. She was so much more real. "So since we both have some time off, maybe we can figure out something."
Katie's mind started reeling from the thoughts in her head. "I was thinking of going back to Rockport for a day next week. Would you care to join me? Maybe a picnic on the rocks. There shouldn't be too many people around. There are also little areas to go where you won't be spotted."
Jon loved the idea."That sounds perfect. I would be thrilled to spend the day with you. What day were you thinking?" He thought how wonderful it would be to sit by the ocean with Katie.
"I have to finish up some work here and touch base with my partner, Becca, on Friday. You might even get to meet her when you bring back your choices. How about Saturday? I will be free from all work obligations. How about you?"
"Saturday is perfect. This time let me get the picnic together, ok? I also have a couple of meetings this week to attend, but have wiped the calendar clean after that." Jon took her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. He felt like a giddy teenager. No one had made him feel like that in years. Being next to her just felt so good and right.
Katie could not stop smiling. Life sure had a way of taking a sudden turn sometimes. She still had to pinch herself occasionally to believe her life had took this turn. She reminded herself to slow down and not focus on anything but the here and now, and enjoy every moment.
"That works for me." This time Katie was the one to be spontaneous and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.
"Alright, then it is a date. I hate to cut this off now, but I have a call with Richie this afternoon. I have to run a few ideas by him on songs for the Greatest Hits album. Even when I am not working, I am still working, it seems." He did indeed look quite sad that he had to go.
Katie walked him to the door, and after he planted another peck on her cheek, he put the shades on and was off in the black convertible.
Chapter 11
Chapter 11


4 comments:
Ok I'm loving this story!
But I've gotta boot, damn!
But in best Arnie speak 'I'll be back!'
Can't wait to read the rest.
You girls rock.
Gail x
Gail, thank you so much for your feedback! That is why we are writing! Keep reading, it gets steamier!! ;)
Just came across this and I am loving it so far.
I love how they are taking it slow and finding out about each other.
Post a Comment