Monday, July 28, 2008

Chapter 11




The week dragged by for both Katie and Jon. Katie had one more session that week, and spent a couple of late nights finishing up proofing on all outstanding sessions so she could go on vacation in peace. Wednesday night at around 9 p.m. while sitting on the porch with her laptop, her cell phone rang. Katie saw Jon's number pop up on the screen.



"Hi there!" Katie answered with a smile. She took off her glasses, that were only worn for long hours on the computer, and leaned back against the chair.




"Hi, darlin', I hope I didn't wake you." That smooth voice spoke to her. She had to chuckle to herself when he called her darlin' or baby. Coming from any other man it would sound like a bad pick up line. Not to mention that she would have been offended if just anyone called her that. Maybe she had seen so many interviews and movies of his that it just seemed natural coming from him. It made the butterflies whirl about whenever she heard it.



"Not at all. I am just sitting here trying to wrap up a few sessions before I leave. You are a more than welcome break in my evening." Katie admitted.



They chatted about their day for a while, until Katie said, "Well, as much as I would rather talk to you, these photos are staring me in the face, taunting me. I better finish up."



"Ok, don't stay up to late. I don't want you sleeping in my lap all day at Rockport." Jon teased.



"No worries. Just one more hour and I will go to bed. I promise. Nite!" She said quietly into the phone.



"Nite, Katie, baby."



Thursday Jon bad a meeting with Obie and Richie, to work on some of the song choices for the upcoming album. Since the Soul had a victory, there was also a free concert in the works for Philly in a few weeks. Around the middle of the afternoon after the guys left, Jon was sitting in the hotel lounge penning a few thoughts on paper when his cell phone rang. It was Katie.



"Katie. What a nice surprise. How are you doing? What are you up to?" Jon's face brightened.



"Hi Jon, just thought I would say hi. I am actually out on a ride. I figured since I would be out of town a lot the next few days, I would give Honey a bit of a workout this afternoon. I just took a moment to stop by the pond and you popped into my head, so here I am."



"I am so glad you did. You have brightened my afternoon considerably."



"Ah. Anything wrong?" Katie inquired.



"Nah, nothing. Just working. I guess I tend to get into a serious, focused mood when I work. You're just a bright spot in the middle of that." He admitted.



They chatted for a bit and hung up. Katie headed back to the stable, then to the studio to organize some information for Becca's return tomorrow.



Friday dawned bright and early. Becca was due in the studio at 9 a.m. to touch base with Katie, since Becca would be taking on Katie's clients while she was away. Jon was scheduled to come around 11 a.m. again, with his final picks for the promo company. Katie arrived at the studio at about 9:15, seeing Becca's car already in the parking lot. She went in and found Becca in the storage room.



"Becca! It's about time you stop your lounging around and get back to work!" Katie teasingly scolded her.



"Katie! Hey hon, it's so good to see you!" Becca gave her a hug. "Though I admit, the work part doesn't sound as good."



Katie had to admit that Becca looked great. She was tan and looked rested. Her dark blond hair had taken on the highlights of summer, and she was dressed in a flowered skirt and tank top, looking every bit like she was still on vacation.



Becca looked Katie over, thinking how good she looked. She had a sparkle in her eye and spring in her step. And she was smiling, causing Becca to wonder just what had been going on. All too often lately, she had seen Katie looking way too serious. She was even wearing a cute sage green sundress. Becca wondered why she was not in the usual jean shorts and t-shirt since there were no sessions booked that day.

"You look good, Kat. Something special going on?" Becca inquired. She was also impatient to hear more about Katie's week and any Jon news.



"Oh, yes, I forgot to tell you. Jon is stopping by in a couple of hours to bring the final picks for the promo company. I will admit, I put a little extra thought into getting dressed this morning." Katie said.



"Are you freakin' kidding me? Jon Bon Jovi is coming here in two hours. Oh. My. God." Becca was visibly shaken. "How cool! Oh gosh, I am speechless." Katie laughed. Becca was never speechless.



"Yep. You get to meet him. I can't wait to introduce you to him. He really is as awesome as we always thought be would be." Katie sounded like a love struck teenager.



"Oh, I have no doubt. And speaking of, when do I get the rundown on the happenings of late?" Becca stared at her with her hands on her hips.



"OK, ok. How about we organize a few things and after he leaves, lets grab a late lunch and I can bring you up to speed." Katie offered.



"Oh, alright." Becca pouted, "But you aren't getting off that easily, Missy."



Katie and Becca synchronized their calendars for the next few weeks. Becca had gone lightly on scheduling commercial sessions so she could fit in Katie's portrait appointments. About ten minutes to 11, there was a knock on the studio door. Becca watched Katie's face light up like she had never seen before. Then Becca got a case of the nerves, realizing she was about to meet a rock legend, someone she had swooned over and rocked out to for years.



Katie went to open there door. She put on a huge smile when she opened it and saw Jon standing there, in jeans, a black t-shirt and black boots. "Jon, it is so great to see you! Come on in." She said as she moved aside so he could walk in.



"Katie, darlin', good to see you." He said as he planted a kiss right on her cheek.

Becca watched the whole exchange, all the way down to the kiss, with great interest, the whole while shaking in her flip flops. They obviously were on very friendly terms, she thought, lucky girl!

Katie brought Jon over to the large table where she and Becca had been conversing. "Jon, this is my partner and best friend, Becca. She has also been my sidekick for the last 18 years on all of our Jovi adventures."



Becca looked at Jon, thinking he really was amazingly hot in person. Even better than up on the stage or in pictures. She held out her hand, and slightly melted when he took it in a firm, warm squeeze.



"I have heard a bit about you, Becca. So nice to finally meet Katie's partner in crime." Jon smirked.



Becca looked at him and then at Katie, unsure, "What did you tell him?" She asked nervously.



"Nah, nothing Becs. He just likes to make women squirm once in a while. You will get used to it." Katie joked. Becca highly doubted she would ever get used to that. But obviously Katie had. Jon snickered a bit.



Becca said "It is wonderful to meet you, Jon. As I am sure Katie has told you, we are both huge fans and have been for years and years."



"Yes, she has. And thank you so much. It truly is an honor to meet our long time fans." He all of a sudden sounded humble.



The trio chatted a bit until Becca excused herself to unpack her photography equipment from her trip. Katie and Jon went over the photos and finished up just before noon.



Becca came out of the storage room just as Jon was saying to Katie, "Thank you again for doing such a great job on the photos. They really are awesome. I will pick you up at 10 tomorrow morning and we can head to the shore?" Jon asked her.



"Sounds perfect. I can't wait." Katie said as she looked into his eyes, her gaze seeming stuck there.



Katie realized Becca was there, and said "Come on over and say goodbye to Jon." Becca offered her hand again and said, "It was really nice to meet you, Jon. I hope I will get the chance to pick your brain in more depth sometime."



Jon smiled at her, taking her hand, lightly kissing the back, "I think that is a very good possibility. It was my pleasure to meet you as well, Becca. See you soon!" He smiled at them both and with a brief wave was out the door.



After he left, Becca looked at Katie and said "Well, it sure looks like you two are on friendly terms. And your seeing him tomorrow, too? Lets grab some lunch and you can tell me all about it!" Becca had to admit it was great to see Katie so happy. Even though she was slightly envious of her dear friend, more than anything she was thrilled for her and couldn't wait to hear about everything.



They went to a little cafe that was usually quiet at lunch time. Only two other tables were occupied. The waitress seated them in a booth near the window, away from the other tables.



"OK, Kat, I want to hear everything. What is going on with you two? It is very obvious that you really like each other." Becca was happy for her friend, but at the same time hoped she wasn't getting into something that would end up hurting her. She loved Katie like a sister and remembered how she was blindsided by her divorce. She didn't want to see Katie with a broken heart ever again.

"Well, you know most of it so far. We went out for lunch and then I told you on the phone how fantastic dinner was. I am having a blast. Yes, we are getting together tomorrow for the day, going to Rockport." Katie looked down at the napkin she was fiddling with. "I haven't really told you, Bec, but I can't get him off of my mind." Katie looked up at her friend and shrugged. "And he seems to feel the same way. I never expected this."



"Wow. I had no idea it had gone so far, so fast. Have you kissed him? Anything else happen?" Becca asked, inquiring minds wanted to know.



"No, he is every inch a gentleman. Just the occasional peck on the cheek. He really is very thoughtful." Katie said as she smiled. "That is one reason I think I am so drawn to him. He does not seem to have one conceited bone in his body. It is like he is a regular guy...except he really isn't."



Becca digested the information for a minute. "I am glad to hear that. It's obvious he likes you. I could see it. And I have not seen you look this happy in years. But I am a little worried about you, Kat, to be honest. This makes me a bit nervous for you." Becca answered in that big sister kind of tone that she often had.



"What are you worried about?" Katie asked.



"I am worried that you may get in too deep and get your heart broken. Even though he is a gentleman and seems very sincere, he is still a famous rock star, sought after by millions of women. And now single. I don't want to see you get hurt. He may mean well, but not realize how he is affecting you. And if he decides he doesn't want to continue, I worry you will be the one left in the dust." Katie could see the look of concern on Becca's face.

"I appreciate your concern, Becs, I really do. Don't worry too much about me. I am not planning on marrying him or anything. I am not even wondering where it is going. I am just trying to enjoy the here and now. Because I agree, I haven't been this happy in a long time. I promise, though, I will be careful. Ok?" Katie tried to reassure her friend.

"Ok, but don't forget to keep me up to speed and I am here any time you need." Becca got up and sat in the side of the booth Katie was in and gave her a big hug. "Now what do you say we go and get a massage? I am not ready to let go of vacation and I think you need a gentle nudge."

"That is a great idea! Let's do it!" Katie laughed. They hopped in Katie's car and were off for an afternoon of pampering.

Chapter 12








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well i have to admit...im really loving this story!!! i have to give my eyes a rest for now though.....lol but i promise to continue later!!! very good so far!!!