
Once she was settled into the smooth, leather seat, she rummaged around her handbag for a hair band. She worked on putting her hair in a ponytail as Jon slid into the driver's seat next to her. She could feel his gaze as he glanced over at her, taking a moment to appreciate the visual of her long, graceful neck and auburn strands as she pulled her hair back. The hair now secured away from her face, the sunglasses perched on her nose, she smiled over at him as he started the engine. The car purred a low, easy vibration.
"Nice!" Katie said as she smiled and settled back into the buttery leather. She was still in shock that she was actually sitting here next to Jon in his sports car. Things like this just didn't happen to her. But she would be darned if she wasn't going to be enjoy every second of it! Jon looked over at her with that lopsided grin as he backed up.
"So where to?" He said.
Katie had to let out a little sigh of pleasure. The seats really were so comfortable. "Take a left out of here and I will take you to a little joint I kind of like. Nothing fancy, I will warn you now. But the burgers are good, the beer even better, and it is quiet. We should be able to have a quiet lunch without too much commotion."
"That fits the bill for me!"
The black BMW glided smoothly into traffic. They turned a few heads as they headed out. Katie wasn't really into cars. She did love her CRV for hauling her equipment, for handling the winter roads of New England, and she loved red. But even she had to admit this car was one fine machine. A work of art. And the driver wasn't bad either.
"Take a left at this intersection. Then we will go around a rotary and take a left after that." Katie instructed.
Jon laughed. "Are you trying to kill me? These rotary things are scary!" She laughed with him, thinking how much she loved his smile.
They came up to the pub and she told him to turn into the parking lot. Jon checked out the building. "This looks like a funky little place. "
"Yeah, it is kind of a little hole in the wall, but it is quiet and the burgers are the best. Not only that but they have over 100 kinds of beer to pick from. Impressive, I tell you." Katie said.
"Excellent!" Jon answered enthusiastically.
Jon was out of the car before she could undo her seat belt and opened her door for her. He was quite the gentleman. But she would never have expected any less. As they entered the pub, Katie looked around to see how crowded it was. Just a few tables were taken up.
Katie asked the host, "Can we be seated in a booth kind of away from everyone?"
The host lead them to a back corner booth. "Your server will be right with you." The host didn't seem to have any idea who Jon was, not even taking a second look.
Jon took his hat and sunglasses off. The server came over to offer drinks. She didn't seem phased by him, either. Katie thought that they must not get out much not to recognize Jon.
Jon ordered a Sam Adams since he was "doing Boston." Katie ordered a Corona with lime. One of the few beers she could actually deal with.
Jon chuckled at her. "You don't strike me as a Corona type of girl."
"Oh? What kind of girl do I strike you as?" She slyly smiled.
"Hm. Well, you come across to me as a bit quiet, but not shy really. Once someone gets to know you, they find you have a bit more of a wild side that you don't show to everyone. I also think you are a romantic at heart." Jon looked at her intently with a small smile on his face, "How did I do?"
"Not bad, Mr. Bon Jovi, not bad at all." She was impressed with how well he had her pegged. "Now it is my turn." She smiled coyly. "You are very organized, methodical, yet can be silly. You are very passionate and are also a romantic at heart. You can also be moody, but it never lasts long. How is that?"
He nodded slowly, "Not bad. Not bad at all. But I don't think that is really fair since I don't have many secrets left after all these years in the public eye. But I will let it go this once." He teased. "Now I really want to hear more about what makes you tick. You intrigue me."
Katie kind of felt put in the spotlight. "OK, I will give you the condensed version of me, if you promise to let me as you a few more questions? I seriously never thought I would get the chance to have lunch with Jon Bon Jovi, so there are some things I want to know!"
"Oh, all right, but you first!" Jon gave in. She realized he had that lopsided, sly grin on his face most of the time. Just the one side raised a bit as if he was slightly amused by something.
"Hm. Ok. Well, I am a late 30 something single white female. Divorced, two kids, own a photography studio with my partner and best friend. Hobbies, photography, reading, uuhhhhh Bon Jovi..." She looked across the table to see his reaction. He gave a hearty laugh. "riding horses, taking vacations, dabbling in poetry and computers. I am a geek at heart. How is that."
"Eh, it is a good start, but that isn't nearly enough. Ok, I will ask you some questions and you get to answer." He said, determine to dig deeper. "What is your favorite desert?"
"Chocolate. Then cheesecake."
"Do you dance around your house when you listen to music and no one is there?"
"Hm, yes, sometimes" Katie chuckled. He was digging.
"Have you ever jumped from a rope swing into a lake?"
"Nope, I can't swim."
"Hm, OK, when was the last time you had ice cream for dinner?"
"Last Tuesday." Katie was trying hard not to giggle.
"When is the last time you read a trashy book?"
"Not in a very long time."
"When is the last time you went on vacation and where?"
"Hm. Maybe 2 years ago. A real vacation, that is. And I went to Maine for a week. Nothing too exciting."
"What is your favorite flower?"
"Roses. Red." She gave him a small smile.
He paused to think for a moment, taking one of her hands in his, looking at it, inspecting the neatly trimmed nails, no polish. Yet he had noticed the red toenails peaking out from her sandals when she had gotten out of the car. "Ok, I think I have a good idea of who Katie is." Katie gave a little gasp when she felt his warm touch, though he didn't appear to notice.
Katie threw her head back and laughed out loud. "Really! Just from those questions? You think you know me now?"
"Well, I can get a feeling, yes. To an extent."
"Alright, Mr. Bon Jovi. Please enlighten me since half the time I can't figure things out for myself."
"Alright, I now feel like I have a better idea of what makes to you tick. You have a bit of a wall up, a sort of protection against the world. But underneath that slightly hard exterior you are a romantic at heart, with a bit of a wild side. But you also have a softer side. You are pretty no nonsense most of the time. You put all your energy into something if you really love it. But sometimes you end up paying the price because you don't take enough time for yourself. You say you love to travel, yet you haven't take a real vacation in over 2 years. I think Katie has been neglecting Katie for far too long." Jon sat back against the booth with a sort of satisfied grin on his face. Kind of like the cat that caught the mouse.
Katie looked at him, nodding slowly. He was good. "You did pretty well. And yes, I have not taken enough time for myself in quite a long time. I even own a couple of horses that I board at a stable near my house, and haven't ridden in over a month. But I am remedying that situation by going on vacation for the month of August. And frankly, I can not wait."
"Yes. I think that is just what the doctor ordered. So now tell me more about yourself. You mentioned you don't usually do commercial photography. What is your business about? You obviously love it." Jon really seemed interested in hearing about her life. It was oddly touching, considering who he was.
Katie took a deep breath and began, "Well, I have been into photography for a long time. I have always loved drawing, writing a tad, graphic design and that kind of thing. About 6 years ago I picked up my first digital camera and haven't looked back since. I have a desire to capture beautiful things that I see, forever. So I practiced and practiced. I was a graphic designer at the time, so this was right up my alley. I guess I got better and better because people started asking me to take their kids' pictures and such. I finally thought about doing it as a business. The business side isn't my favorite part. But I love capturing precious images for clients that they can enjoy forever. I started out just on location, going to the client. But a couple of years ago my best friend, who started in the commercial photography side of things about 5 years ago, asked me if I wanted to go into business together. I jumped at it. We opened the studio and now the business covers many kinds of photography from portraits to commercial, to events. I am the portrait side and she is the commercial side. It has worked out great, and since my divorce I have really submersed myself in it. Business has taken off and we are doing better than we could have ever hoped. She does most of her work on location, and I am often in the studio. You were originally supposed to be the other half's project today. But Becca is on vacation so I am covering for her. Little did I know how that was going to turn out." Katie chuckled.
"That is awesome things have taken off so well for you and your partner. So what about the kiddos? The ex? Where did you grow up?"
"Are you really sure you want to know all this?" Katie asked slightly unsure. Just then the server brought their drinks and asked if they were ready to order. Katie realized they had not even looked at the menu, "Do you need to check out the menu, Jon?"
"Nah, just give me a burger with the works, but hold the onions, medium well."
Katie thought briefly, "I will have a cheeseburger with Swiss and bacon, tomato, lettuce, no onions or pickles, medium well, also. Thank you!"
After their server left, she launched into more of her tale. "Well, I have been divorced for 4 years. We met during my last year in college. I am from the Nashville area, grew up there, but came up here to college at Northeastern University. We got married a year later and had my daughter first, then my son. Sophia is 15 and Brandon is 13. They are really great kids. They both struggled a bit through the divorce, but it is all good now." He could see how her face lit up when she mentioned the kids. "My ex remarried this past year and they love his wife. Luckily at this point, things have settled down and we all get along. I wouldn't have them over for dinner or anything, but no major arguments. He is from here, so we ended up staying here after we married, and I couldn't leave after the divorce. I have been here so long now it seems like home. My family is still in Nashville and I go down a couple of times a year to see them. I have one older brother, Jason. He is 3 years older than I am. We get along great. Parents still married, live in the same house I grew up in. Nothing too exciting."
"What did you major in at college?" Jon leaned forward, resting his chin on his hand.
"Psychology. I thought, at the time, that I would get my PhD and save the world. But I got distracted with life. I thought about going back for my Masters degree and even took a few classes, but it wasn't in me anymore. I decided to become a starving art student instead, and took a certificate course in graphics. And it was the right decision."
"So does that mean that you can solve all of my problems then?" Jon gave her a sly wink. Damn, that man knew just how to make her knees turn to jelly.
"Uh, no. I bailed, remember?" She chuckled, "I can't figure out my own issues half the time. But now it is my turn for 21 questions." Though Katie knew a great deal about him from having followed him for 25 years, there were a few questions she had.
"Oh, ok. Just don't go running to the media with all of my secrets, ok?" He winked at her again. Damn, Katie though. He has to stop doing that. She lost her train of thought for a moment.
"Promise! You can trust me." She gave him a sly grin in return. Two could play that game. She was really having a lot of fun, and she was not nearly as nervous anymore. He had a way of making her feel at ease.
"Alright. If I ask anything too personal, just tell me to hush." Jon laughed." I have obviously heard about your divorce. And I don't mean to pry. But after so many years, and being the poster boy for celebrity marriages, what happened? How are the kids dealing with it all?"
"Wow, you cut right to the chase, don't you?" He got a bit serious for a moment.
"Oh Jon, I am sorry. Forget I asked. I didn't mean to pry, really." Katie was sorry if she had indeed hit a sore spot."
"No, don't be sorry at all. There are no secrets. It really is basically what all the press has been reporting. The last few years our tours and albums have continued to do better and a better. I have been submersed in work for a few years now. I would take time off, like we all would, between projects and such. But this last tour must have been the final straw for Dot. She never really talked to me about this in depth, but it wouldn't have really changed anything anyway. After the first leg of the tour, earlier this year, I came home for a couple of weeks before we started on the US leg. She told me she had something to talk to me about. Little did I know she was TELLING me something, not discussing it. She said she couldn't live like this anymore. She did not want to spend the rest of her life sitting at home, alone, with the kids while I was out somewhere in the world on tour or working. She said she realized she was only getting older and wanted to be with someone that was around more. She felt too alone. And then she proceeded to tell me that she had already made up her mind and was leaving. She said she knew I would not, and could not, change. That I could not stop the path I was on. She was right. I can't. This business is who I am, to the core. There was nothing I could say because I knew she was right. We talked some more and in the end everything was understood. I mean as much as it could be. I do realize now, looking back, that it has been a few years since she and I really touched each other on a deeper level. We sort of got stuck on auto pilot. She deserves to find the path that makes her happy. The guys and I say you can always get divorced, but the only way out of Bon Jovi is death." Jon looked down at the table, and all of a sudden looked very weary. Katie could not help herself. She reached out and put her hand over his, giving it a pat. She smiled at him as he looked up at her. It was a split second response, not one she had time think about.
"I am sorry, Jon."
"Again, no, don't be. I am still processing it all even though this was quite a few months ago. Music is who I am. She has always known that. And she knew that I could not stop creating music. I would have been miserable and would not have been any good to her in that state either. She was very diplomatic about it. I could tell she had thought long and hard about this, and there was no changing her mind. Now I see it was the right thing for her, and me. But now I am left kind of figuring out what next, you know?" There was no smirk, or lopsided grin on his face this time. He stared out the window as if he was searching for something. "So I decided it was time to get back to basics, just me and my guitar. Write some songs, maybe put out an acoustic album. Back to the raw lyrics and notes. Maybe if I strip away all the other stuff, I will find my soul again, too. It is kind of like when I took off across the country on my bike all those years ago. Sometimes you need to strip away all the extras to take a good long, hard look at who you are. I guess I am there again." He looked up at her and smiled, a real genuine soul felt smile.
He held her gaze for what seemed like forever, those blue endless pools. Katie finally had to look down at the table to regain her composure. Just then the server brought their burgers.
They took their time eating and chatted about the Lost Highway Tour. Katie was fascinated with hearing about the tour life.
"It must get really hard to travel so much. Do you ever wish you were just staying in one spot longer?" She asked as she finished up her fries.
"Yes and no. To be honest, it is in our blood. Sure, we get tired towards the end of a tour, believe me. But even during off tour times, I still travel a fair amount for work, promotions, charity work, the Soul, you name it. I guess it is just a way of life for us." Jon said, taking one last bite. "This was great! Very tasty. Thank you for the idea. And the company was very nice as well."
"I should thank you! I never thought I would ever be having lunch with Jon Bon Jovi." She whispered, looking around in case anyone was seated near them."
He chuckled, "You flatter me too much. I am just a man. Just like any other. And I really enjoyed lunch with a friendly, funny and very pretty lady.
Katie blushed a bit. "Well, the pleasure was mine. The photos should take me a few days. Who should I contact about showing the final picks?"
"Well, usually the promo company, but in this case I think I would like to look them over first, if that is ok." He smiled. "I will leave you my cell number."
Katie almost chocked on her last sip of Corona. Jon Bon Jovi's cell number! Who would have thought.
"Ok, that sounds good. I can call you when they are done and you can come to the studio and look them over. Sound alright?"
"Perfect!" He replied heartily.
Their server brought the check and as Jon reached out to grab it, Katie's hand beat him to it. He looked up, shocked.
"Let me get it, please, Katie. It is the least I can do for you saving a starving man."
"Nope, this is my treat." She said as she snatched it away.
Jon smiled shaking his head. She was a feisty one. "Well, thank you very much, M'lady. I appreciate it."
They sat for a few more moments, until there was no good reason to sit anymore. Neither of them seemed to want lunch to end. Finally Jon said, "I guess we should get going. I could sit here all day. I really enjoyed it."
"Yes, I have more work to do as well. It was very nice, though!"
Jon stood up and waited for Katie, then they headed out to his car, thanking the host on the way out.
On the drive back Jon was thinking to himself how much he had enjoyed her company and had a real desire to see Katie again. He almost felt like a shy school boy. He hadn't met any woman in a long time he really felt he wanted to spend more time getting to know. When they pulled up into her studio parking lot, he got out once again to open her door for her. She got out of the car and they stood there, in an awkward silence.
"Thanks again, Katie. I hope you won't think badly of me, but I really enjoyed getting to know you and I would really like to see you again." He had his hands in his pockets and he looked at her, waiting for a response. He really could look like a shy schoolboy at times. He was a man of many sides.
Katie felt butterflies in her stomach. She was afraid she was going to stumble on her words again. "OH, my. Well, I did, too. And um, YES! I would really enjoy that as well." She finally sputtered out.
"I am staying in Boston and it would be my pleasure if you would join me for dinner, say tomorrow night?"
Katie had to get her thoughts straight for a moment. She rememebred that tomorrow was the last day she would see her kids before they went off with their dad. "Oh, darn. Tomorrow I am spending with my kids before they go on vacation with their dad. I am sorry! Would any other day work? Saturday?" She hoped she had not ruined her chances.
"Saturday would be fine! I am on vacation now as well, so my schedule is pretty flexible the next couple of weeks or so. Let me send my driver for you, ok? Say 6 p.m.? Oh, I need your address." Jon fumbled for a piece of paper or pen.
"That sounds lovely, perfect. And no need. I live in the small carriage house out back of the studio. It has a seperate driveway, so you don't really see it from here. The next one right past the studio." Those darn butterflies would not calm down.
"Wonderful, then. It is a date. Well, you know what I mean." He laughed a bit shyly. A side she never thought he would posses. " I will see you then."
He took her hand in a sort of shake, more of a squeeze and walked around the the driver side, getting in the shiny, black car. Katie waved as he drove off, not sure what to do next...
Chapter 7
"Nice!" Katie said as she smiled and settled back into the buttery leather. She was still in shock that she was actually sitting here next to Jon in his sports car. Things like this just didn't happen to her. But she would be darned if she wasn't going to be enjoy every second of it! Jon looked over at her with that lopsided grin as he backed up.
"So where to?" He said.
Katie had to let out a little sigh of pleasure. The seats really were so comfortable. "Take a left out of here and I will take you to a little joint I kind of like. Nothing fancy, I will warn you now. But the burgers are good, the beer even better, and it is quiet. We should be able to have a quiet lunch without too much commotion."
"That fits the bill for me!"
The black BMW glided smoothly into traffic. They turned a few heads as they headed out. Katie wasn't really into cars. She did love her CRV for hauling her equipment, for handling the winter roads of New England, and she loved red. But even she had to admit this car was one fine machine. A work of art. And the driver wasn't bad either.
"Take a left at this intersection. Then we will go around a rotary and take a left after that." Katie instructed.
Jon laughed. "Are you trying to kill me? These rotary things are scary!" She laughed with him, thinking how much she loved his smile.
They came up to the pub and she told him to turn into the parking lot. Jon checked out the building. "This looks like a funky little place. "
"Yeah, it is kind of a little hole in the wall, but it is quiet and the burgers are the best. Not only that but they have over 100 kinds of beer to pick from. Impressive, I tell you." Katie said.
"Excellent!" Jon answered enthusiastically.
Jon was out of the car before she could undo her seat belt and opened her door for her. He was quite the gentleman. But she would never have expected any less. As they entered the pub, Katie looked around to see how crowded it was. Just a few tables were taken up.
Katie asked the host, "Can we be seated in a booth kind of away from everyone?"
The host lead them to a back corner booth. "Your server will be right with you." The host didn't seem to have any idea who Jon was, not even taking a second look.
Jon took his hat and sunglasses off. The server came over to offer drinks. She didn't seem phased by him, either. Katie thought that they must not get out much not to recognize Jon.
Jon ordered a Sam Adams since he was "doing Boston." Katie ordered a Corona with lime. One of the few beers she could actually deal with.
Jon chuckled at her. "You don't strike me as a Corona type of girl."
"Oh? What kind of girl do I strike you as?" She slyly smiled.
"Hm. Well, you come across to me as a bit quiet, but not shy really. Once someone gets to know you, they find you have a bit more of a wild side that you don't show to everyone. I also think you are a romantic at heart." Jon looked at her intently with a small smile on his face, "How did I do?"
"Not bad, Mr. Bon Jovi, not bad at all." She was impressed with how well he had her pegged. "Now it is my turn." She smiled coyly. "You are very organized, methodical, yet can be silly. You are very passionate and are also a romantic at heart. You can also be moody, but it never lasts long. How is that?"
He nodded slowly, "Not bad. Not bad at all. But I don't think that is really fair since I don't have many secrets left after all these years in the public eye. But I will let it go this once." He teased. "Now I really want to hear more about what makes you tick. You intrigue me."
Katie kind of felt put in the spotlight. "OK, I will give you the condensed version of me, if you promise to let me as you a few more questions? I seriously never thought I would get the chance to have lunch with Jon Bon Jovi, so there are some things I want to know!"
"Oh, all right, but you first!" Jon gave in. She realized he had that lopsided, sly grin on his face most of the time. Just the one side raised a bit as if he was slightly amused by something.
"Hm. Ok. Well, I am a late 30 something single white female. Divorced, two kids, own a photography studio with my partner and best friend. Hobbies, photography, reading, uuhhhhh Bon Jovi..." She looked across the table to see his reaction. He gave a hearty laugh. "riding horses, taking vacations, dabbling in poetry and computers. I am a geek at heart. How is that."
"Eh, it is a good start, but that isn't nearly enough. Ok, I will ask you some questions and you get to answer." He said, determine to dig deeper. "What is your favorite desert?"
"Chocolate. Then cheesecake."
"Do you dance around your house when you listen to music and no one is there?"
"Hm, yes, sometimes" Katie chuckled. He was digging.
"Have you ever jumped from a rope swing into a lake?"
"Nope, I can't swim."
"Hm, OK, when was the last time you had ice cream for dinner?"
"Last Tuesday." Katie was trying hard not to giggle.
"When is the last time you read a trashy book?"
"Not in a very long time."
"When is the last time you went on vacation and where?"
"Hm. Maybe 2 years ago. A real vacation, that is. And I went to Maine for a week. Nothing too exciting."
"What is your favorite flower?"
"Roses. Red." She gave him a small smile.
He paused to think for a moment, taking one of her hands in his, looking at it, inspecting the neatly trimmed nails, no polish. Yet he had noticed the red toenails peaking out from her sandals when she had gotten out of the car. "Ok, I think I have a good idea of who Katie is." Katie gave a little gasp when she felt his warm touch, though he didn't appear to notice.
Katie threw her head back and laughed out loud. "Really! Just from those questions? You think you know me now?"
"Well, I can get a feeling, yes. To an extent."
"Alright, Mr. Bon Jovi. Please enlighten me since half the time I can't figure things out for myself."
"Alright, I now feel like I have a better idea of what makes to you tick. You have a bit of a wall up, a sort of protection against the world. But underneath that slightly hard exterior you are a romantic at heart, with a bit of a wild side. But you also have a softer side. You are pretty no nonsense most of the time. You put all your energy into something if you really love it. But sometimes you end up paying the price because you don't take enough time for yourself. You say you love to travel, yet you haven't take a real vacation in over 2 years. I think Katie has been neglecting Katie for far too long." Jon sat back against the booth with a sort of satisfied grin on his face. Kind of like the cat that caught the mouse.
Katie looked at him, nodding slowly. He was good. "You did pretty well. And yes, I have not taken enough time for myself in quite a long time. I even own a couple of horses that I board at a stable near my house, and haven't ridden in over a month. But I am remedying that situation by going on vacation for the month of August. And frankly, I can not wait."
"Yes. I think that is just what the doctor ordered. So now tell me more about yourself. You mentioned you don't usually do commercial photography. What is your business about? You obviously love it." Jon really seemed interested in hearing about her life. It was oddly touching, considering who he was.
Katie took a deep breath and began, "Well, I have been into photography for a long time. I have always loved drawing, writing a tad, graphic design and that kind of thing. About 6 years ago I picked up my first digital camera and haven't looked back since. I have a desire to capture beautiful things that I see, forever. So I practiced and practiced. I was a graphic designer at the time, so this was right up my alley. I guess I got better and better because people started asking me to take their kids' pictures and such. I finally thought about doing it as a business. The business side isn't my favorite part. But I love capturing precious images for clients that they can enjoy forever. I started out just on location, going to the client. But a couple of years ago my best friend, who started in the commercial photography side of things about 5 years ago, asked me if I wanted to go into business together. I jumped at it. We opened the studio and now the business covers many kinds of photography from portraits to commercial, to events. I am the portrait side and she is the commercial side. It has worked out great, and since my divorce I have really submersed myself in it. Business has taken off and we are doing better than we could have ever hoped. She does most of her work on location, and I am often in the studio. You were originally supposed to be the other half's project today. But Becca is on vacation so I am covering for her. Little did I know how that was going to turn out." Katie chuckled.
"That is awesome things have taken off so well for you and your partner. So what about the kiddos? The ex? Where did you grow up?"
"Are you really sure you want to know all this?" Katie asked slightly unsure. Just then the server brought their drinks and asked if they were ready to order. Katie realized they had not even looked at the menu, "Do you need to check out the menu, Jon?"
"Nah, just give me a burger with the works, but hold the onions, medium well."
Katie thought briefly, "I will have a cheeseburger with Swiss and bacon, tomato, lettuce, no onions or pickles, medium well, also. Thank you!"
After their server left, she launched into more of her tale. "Well, I have been divorced for 4 years. We met during my last year in college. I am from the Nashville area, grew up there, but came up here to college at Northeastern University. We got married a year later and had my daughter first, then my son. Sophia is 15 and Brandon is 13. They are really great kids. They both struggled a bit through the divorce, but it is all good now." He could see how her face lit up when she mentioned the kids. "My ex remarried this past year and they love his wife. Luckily at this point, things have settled down and we all get along. I wouldn't have them over for dinner or anything, but no major arguments. He is from here, so we ended up staying here after we married, and I couldn't leave after the divorce. I have been here so long now it seems like home. My family is still in Nashville and I go down a couple of times a year to see them. I have one older brother, Jason. He is 3 years older than I am. We get along great. Parents still married, live in the same house I grew up in. Nothing too exciting."
"What did you major in at college?" Jon leaned forward, resting his chin on his hand.
"Psychology. I thought, at the time, that I would get my PhD and save the world. But I got distracted with life. I thought about going back for my Masters degree and even took a few classes, but it wasn't in me anymore. I decided to become a starving art student instead, and took a certificate course in graphics. And it was the right decision."
"So does that mean that you can solve all of my problems then?" Jon gave her a sly wink. Damn, that man knew just how to make her knees turn to jelly.
"Uh, no. I bailed, remember?" She chuckled, "I can't figure out my own issues half the time. But now it is my turn for 21 questions." Though Katie knew a great deal about him from having followed him for 25 years, there were a few questions she had.
"Oh, ok. Just don't go running to the media with all of my secrets, ok?" He winked at her again. Damn, Katie though. He has to stop doing that. She lost her train of thought for a moment.
"Promise! You can trust me." She gave him a sly grin in return. Two could play that game. She was really having a lot of fun, and she was not nearly as nervous anymore. He had a way of making her feel at ease.
"Alright. If I ask anything too personal, just tell me to hush." Jon laughed." I have obviously heard about your divorce. And I don't mean to pry. But after so many years, and being the poster boy for celebrity marriages, what happened? How are the kids dealing with it all?"
"Wow, you cut right to the chase, don't you?" He got a bit serious for a moment.
"Oh Jon, I am sorry. Forget I asked. I didn't mean to pry, really." Katie was sorry if she had indeed hit a sore spot."
"No, don't be sorry at all. There are no secrets. It really is basically what all the press has been reporting. The last few years our tours and albums have continued to do better and a better. I have been submersed in work for a few years now. I would take time off, like we all would, between projects and such. But this last tour must have been the final straw for Dot. She never really talked to me about this in depth, but it wouldn't have really changed anything anyway. After the first leg of the tour, earlier this year, I came home for a couple of weeks before we started on the US leg. She told me she had something to talk to me about. Little did I know she was TELLING me something, not discussing it. She said she couldn't live like this anymore. She did not want to spend the rest of her life sitting at home, alone, with the kids while I was out somewhere in the world on tour or working. She said she realized she was only getting older and wanted to be with someone that was around more. She felt too alone. And then she proceeded to tell me that she had already made up her mind and was leaving. She said she knew I would not, and could not, change. That I could not stop the path I was on. She was right. I can't. This business is who I am, to the core. There was nothing I could say because I knew she was right. We talked some more and in the end everything was understood. I mean as much as it could be. I do realize now, looking back, that it has been a few years since she and I really touched each other on a deeper level. We sort of got stuck on auto pilot. She deserves to find the path that makes her happy. The guys and I say you can always get divorced, but the only way out of Bon Jovi is death." Jon looked down at the table, and all of a sudden looked very weary. Katie could not help herself. She reached out and put her hand over his, giving it a pat. She smiled at him as he looked up at her. It was a split second response, not one she had time think about.
"I am sorry, Jon."
"Again, no, don't be. I am still processing it all even though this was quite a few months ago. Music is who I am. She has always known that. And she knew that I could not stop creating music. I would have been miserable and would not have been any good to her in that state either. She was very diplomatic about it. I could tell she had thought long and hard about this, and there was no changing her mind. Now I see it was the right thing for her, and me. But now I am left kind of figuring out what next, you know?" There was no smirk, or lopsided grin on his face this time. He stared out the window as if he was searching for something. "So I decided it was time to get back to basics, just me and my guitar. Write some songs, maybe put out an acoustic album. Back to the raw lyrics and notes. Maybe if I strip away all the other stuff, I will find my soul again, too. It is kind of like when I took off across the country on my bike all those years ago. Sometimes you need to strip away all the extras to take a good long, hard look at who you are. I guess I am there again." He looked up at her and smiled, a real genuine soul felt smile.
He held her gaze for what seemed like forever, those blue endless pools. Katie finally had to look down at the table to regain her composure. Just then the server brought their burgers.
They took their time eating and chatted about the Lost Highway Tour. Katie was fascinated with hearing about the tour life.
"It must get really hard to travel so much. Do you ever wish you were just staying in one spot longer?" She asked as she finished up her fries.
"Yes and no. To be honest, it is in our blood. Sure, we get tired towards the end of a tour, believe me. But even during off tour times, I still travel a fair amount for work, promotions, charity work, the Soul, you name it. I guess it is just a way of life for us." Jon said, taking one last bite. "This was great! Very tasty. Thank you for the idea. And the company was very nice as well."
"I should thank you! I never thought I would ever be having lunch with Jon Bon Jovi." She whispered, looking around in case anyone was seated near them."
He chuckled, "You flatter me too much. I am just a man. Just like any other. And I really enjoyed lunch with a friendly, funny and very pretty lady.
Katie blushed a bit. "Well, the pleasure was mine. The photos should take me a few days. Who should I contact about showing the final picks?"
"Well, usually the promo company, but in this case I think I would like to look them over first, if that is ok." He smiled. "I will leave you my cell number."
Katie almost chocked on her last sip of Corona. Jon Bon Jovi's cell number! Who would have thought.
"Ok, that sounds good. I can call you when they are done and you can come to the studio and look them over. Sound alright?"
"Perfect!" He replied heartily.
Their server brought the check and as Jon reached out to grab it, Katie's hand beat him to it. He looked up, shocked.
"Let me get it, please, Katie. It is the least I can do for you saving a starving man."
"Nope, this is my treat." She said as she snatched it away.
Jon smiled shaking his head. She was a feisty one. "Well, thank you very much, M'lady. I appreciate it."
They sat for a few more moments, until there was no good reason to sit anymore. Neither of them seemed to want lunch to end. Finally Jon said, "I guess we should get going. I could sit here all day. I really enjoyed it."
"Yes, I have more work to do as well. It was very nice, though!"
Jon stood up and waited for Katie, then they headed out to his car, thanking the host on the way out.
On the drive back Jon was thinking to himself how much he had enjoyed her company and had a real desire to see Katie again. He almost felt like a shy school boy. He hadn't met any woman in a long time he really felt he wanted to spend more time getting to know. When they pulled up into her studio parking lot, he got out once again to open her door for her. She got out of the car and they stood there, in an awkward silence.
"Thanks again, Katie. I hope you won't think badly of me, but I really enjoyed getting to know you and I would really like to see you again." He had his hands in his pockets and he looked at her, waiting for a response. He really could look like a shy schoolboy at times. He was a man of many sides.
Katie felt butterflies in her stomach. She was afraid she was going to stumble on her words again. "OH, my. Well, I did, too. And um, YES! I would really enjoy that as well." She finally sputtered out.
"I am staying in Boston and it would be my pleasure if you would join me for dinner, say tomorrow night?"
Katie had to get her thoughts straight for a moment. She rememebred that tomorrow was the last day she would see her kids before they went off with their dad. "Oh, darn. Tomorrow I am spending with my kids before they go on vacation with their dad. I am sorry! Would any other day work? Saturday?" She hoped she had not ruined her chances.
"Saturday would be fine! I am on vacation now as well, so my schedule is pretty flexible the next couple of weeks or so. Let me send my driver for you, ok? Say 6 p.m.? Oh, I need your address." Jon fumbled for a piece of paper or pen.
"That sounds lovely, perfect. And no need. I live in the small carriage house out back of the studio. It has a seperate driveway, so you don't really see it from here. The next one right past the studio." Those darn butterflies would not calm down.
"Wonderful, then. It is a date. Well, you know what I mean." He laughed a bit shyly. A side she never thought he would posses. " I will see you then."
He took her hand in a sort of shake, more of a squeeze and walked around the the driver side, getting in the shiny, black car. Katie waved as he drove off, not sure what to do next...
Chapter 7


No comments:
Post a Comment