Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Chapter 27




The next morning after waking, Jon lay there enjoying the feeling of Katie in his arms. All seemed right with the world since he had shared his feelings with her the night before. He was so relieved that she felt the same way. Gently kissing her temple, he brought her out of her slumber. Before her eyes even opened, a big smile spread across her face. She found him looking into his eyes when she finally managed to open hers. There was a new easiness between them. A sense of closeness and familiarity that neither had allowed themselves to entertain before now. Jon smiled to himself remembering when he thought how easy it would be to get used to waking with her. Now he knew he would have many mornings of that. After lounging in bed for a while, holding her in his arms, he summoned the strength to rise and get his calendar.

He sat on the bed next to her as he scanned the pages. "I should have everything wrapped up by 3 p.m. this afternoon, so whenever you get done, I will be here waiting for you." He leaned over kissing her softly on the lips.

"Mmm, that works for me. I won't be gone long. I just want to play a little." She admitted. Despite the fact that she had sampled his life for a few days, she was itching to get her hands on her camera again.

"Then play, you shall." Jon said handing her a couple of business cards for modeling agencies. "These are places I have used before for videos and such. Just tell them what you want. I will let them know you will be calling and to just charge the model fee to me. And I have let Christoph know that he will be escorting you for the day."

Katie sat up in the bed with a slight frown on her face. 'Baby, what is the matter?" Jon asked, putting his finger under her chin bringing her eyes to his.

"Jon, I know you mean well. And I know you're used to doing this. But I can afford to hire the model myself. I appreciate the leads on agencies, but I'm all set. And I don't need Christoph driving me around. I want to go out on my own, by myself. I don't want to feel like anyone is waiting on me to finish up."

Jon realized he had bruised her ego and he couldn't back pedal, undoing what was said. "Kat, I'm sorry. I just figured you would like an escort. It's a big city, and not everyone is that friendly. There are some bad areas. I just want to make sure you will be ok."

"Like I said, I will be fine. I am a big girl." She got out of bed and walked to the bathroom. Jon watched her walk away and sighed. He realized her spirit was one thing he really liked about her. He was going to have to be careful about stepping on her toes. While he wanted to do everything for her, he knew doing so would cause hurt feelings. She seemed to understand his life, he would have to work at understanding hers.

After her shower Katie put on a pair of khaki walking shorts, tank top and her running shoes, then threw her hair up in a pony tail. She decided she would wait to call the agencies from the bakery down the street.

She walked out of the bedroom and saw Jon coming out of the kitchen with a cup of coffee in hand. "Would you care for a cup with me?" He looked sad, she thought.

"No, I think I am going to head out. I will grab something on the way. I think I just need some fresh air." She gave him a small smile, still obviously a bit miffed at him.

Jon sat his coffee down and walked over to her putting his hands on her shoulders. "Listen, Kat. I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I honestly didn't. I was just trying to help."

She looked up into his eyes. She knew he was sorry, and maybe she was overreacting. But she knew how easy it would be to get sucked up into a lifestyle like this. The last thing she wanted to happen was to forget who she was and what her life was about. "Jon, I understand that things come easy for you. Just pick up the phone and something is there if you want it. And don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed living in that life for a few days. But I need to do my own thing sometimes. I am capable of making my own arrangements. Maybe I am being silly. But I guess that is just part of that tough exterior you say I have. I need to maintain control for my own sanity."

Jon answered quietly, "I would never try to control you or what you do, Katie. I understand and I'm sorry. Will you forgive me?" He looked at her with those puppy dog eyes.

Not being able to resist him, she nodded. "Yeah, I guess this once I can let it go." She said, putting on a sly smirk, "But don't let it happen again."

Jon chuckled. "Hmmm, is that a threat or a promise, baby?"

She winked at him and said, "I guess you may just find out if you misbehave again. I'm off for now. I will call you later when I finish up."

"Sure thing, babe. Be careful." He said planting a kiss on her lips.

Katie made her way out the side door, since she knew Christoph was expecting her. After ordering a bagel and coffee at the bakery, she called one of the agencies and arranged to meet a model there in an hour. The model arrived, a French girl with straight dark brown hair, named Giselle. Katie and Giselle cab hopped around the city for the better part of the day. After she finished up and thanked Giselle, Katie decided to walk back to the penthouse. She was really enjoying walking around the city on her own. She had forgotten how much fun it was to take her camera out and just shoot for herself. And the city atmosphere had yielded some different opportunities for her, allowing her to stretch her wings. She arrived at the penthouse, camera bag over her shoulder, with a smile on her face.

Keith greeted her as he opened the door for her. "Afternoon Ms. McKenzie. Did you enjoy your day?"

"I did, Keith. Thank you. It was fabulous." She answered as she made her way to the elevator. She opened the front door to the penthouse and noticed Jon on the balcony. All of the frustration from that morning melted away when she saw him. Their lives were so different, and she knew he was only trying to help. It was going to take a little understanding on each of their parts as they moved forward in their relationship.

She tiptoed through the open balcony door and wrapped her arms around his shoulders, kissing him on the back of his neck. "Hey there, gorgeous."

Jon had been jotting something on a notepad. He jumped at her touch, but an instant smile formed on his face. Turning around he kissed her on the lips. "Hey. How was your day?"

Katie sat down at the table, "Jon, it was beyond awesome. I had a blast. It felt so freeing to shoot for myself and not for a client. And the city is a really amazing backdrop."

It made his heart swell to see her happy. He realized that was all he wanted. And no matter what it took, he would always work to make her smile just like that. "Kat, I am really sorry about this morning. I do understand where you are coming from."

Katie smiled at him, patting his hand across the table. "Its ok, cowboy. We will work it out. Right now I'm just happy to see you."

Jon stood up and walked over to her. Pulling her into his arms, he took his time exploring her ever willing mouth. Pulling back for a second Jon said, "I would love to see what you came up with today. If you don't mind showing me."

Katie was touched that he cared. "Sure. I can pull them up on my laptop later."

They spent the remainder of the day talking and looking at Katie's photo shoot. After ordering dinner in, they retired to the bedroom, making love and falling asleep tangled up in each other.

The next morning the alarm woke them at 8 a.m. The rest of the band was due in the studio at 10. Katie was excited to meet Tico and see them work their magic. After they both worked out in the gym and showered, they grabbed a quick breakfast, finishing up just as they heard loud knocking on the penthouse door. Jon stood up to answer the door, but first turned around to take Katie's hand. He wanted to greet them with her at his side.

After opening the door, Jon greeted them. "Hey there. It is about time you lazy asses showed up for work."

Richie, Dave and then Tico filed in, punching him lightly in the arm, patting him on the back and Richie put him in a headlock. Richie paused to give Katie a kiss on the cheek and Dave followed suit, giving her a friendly squeeze. "Hey Katie, good to see you again! It will be nice to have some objective feedback today."

Katie laughed. "Well, I don't know how helpful I will be. But I can't wait to see you guys get to work."

Jon said. "You heard the lady! Get to work! But first, Tico, I want you to meet Katie."

Tico took her hand warmly in his and kissed her cheek in greeting. "Hello, Katie. So nice to meet you." Tico didn't seem the least bit surprised or concerned by her presence. "Glad you could join us!"

Even Richie and Dave acted as if she belonged there, neither of them observing her like they were the other day. As they walked through the living room and towards the studio Richie put his arm around her and gave her a quick hug. "So is the boss being a good host? If he gets out of hand, you just let me know." He said.

Katie chuckled, "He is a great host. But I will be sure to let you know if I need reinforcements."

"Good deal." he smiled at her, then turned his attention to the guys. "Let's get to work, boys!"

Jon took Katie behind the glass panel in the studio, seating her behind the sound mixer. "Just make yourself comfortable. I might ask you to flip a couple of switches now and then." He kissed her on the cheek.

"No problem, boss." She winked at him. Everyone took their places, Richie taking out one of his favorite guitars, Dave at the keyboard and Tico barely visible behind the drums. Jon went into the kitchen and got a bottle of water, then taking his place behind the white mic stand. Katie couldn't help but blush a little when he turned around and winked at her.

They played through a few older tunes before launching into a couple of new tracks they were working on. Jon came back a couple of times to ask if she was doing ok. She couldn't be better, Katie thought. It was such a special privilege to get to see the behind the scenes work that went into making an album. She could already tell she would love the new songs. The guys stopped a few times, trying different combinations, then all looked in Katie's direction to get her opinion. She gave a thumbs up for the one that sounded the best to her untrained ears. She was having so much fun, though, and before she knew it, her watch said 1 p.m.

Jon saw her and turned to the guys, "What do you say we break for lunch? We can wrap up a few things after."

They all nodded in agreement. Jon called down to the deli and not twenty minutes later there was a knock on the door. After lunch they filed back into the studio, running through the same songs again, tweaking a bit, but in the end they all seemed please with the work that gotten accomplished. After wrapping up, they sat around the bar for a bit, Jon passed around bottles of beer, opening a Corona for himself and Katie.

Tico noticed Jon drinking the Corona. "Since when do you drink Corona, Kid?"

Jon laughed. "Just one of the improvements Kat has brought to my life."

Richie had to get in on the act, teasing Jon, he said. "Good thing she is making some improvements." He then leaned over towards Katie whispering, "He is a work in progress, you got your work cut out for ya!"

Jon shot back good-naturedly, "Yeah, watch it there, Rich. Don't ruin my reputation!"

They finished up the beers and got up to leave. As they chatted on the way to the door, Richie came up to Katie and put his arm around her. "I just wanted to say I'm sorry if we came across as rude the other day. I can see you are really good for him and you're pretty easy on the eyes as well, so its great to have you aboard." He winked at her.

"I understand, Richie. No hard feelings. Thanks for letting me hang out with y'all today. It was a lot of fun watching y'all work." Katie returned the smile and hug.

They all waved to Katie as Jon closed the door behind them. Knowing it was the last night they would be spending in the penthouse, he was anxious to have Katie all to himself. Tomorrow they would be flying back to Boston, and Katie would be getting ready for her trip with the kids down to Nashville. Jon had a few more loose ends to tie up in New York and he was headed down later the next week.

Later that night Jon and Katie turned in early, making love slowly and passionately, as if trying to savor it for as long as they could. It would be the last time for a while, Jon knew. And he was really going to miss holding her in his arms.

The next morning they were up early, Jon caught a quick work out while Katie packed her bags. Christoph drove them to the airport, and then accompanied them on the plane flying them back to Boston. After driving Katie back to her house, Christoph waited outside for Jon while he carried in her luggage and said his goodbyes.

He wrapped his arms around her and buried his face in her hair, "Mmmmm, I am going to miss you soooo much, Kat. It is going to be a long week."

Katie held on to him tightly, not wanting to let go. "I know. I can't wait to see you again." He covered her mouth with a long, searching kiss. Then pulled away, looking in her eyes. Katie held his gaze for a moment and then laid her head against his chest. He stroked her hair and kissed her on the head.

"But I will see you next Thursday. I will get my parents to take the kids to an amusement park or something." Katie said, with sadness in her voice.

"I can't wait, baby." He gave her one last deep kiss and pulled away walking towards the door. Katie stood at the screen door watching as they pulled out, blowing him a kiss as she let out a big sigh. It was going to be a very long week. Though she was very excited to see the kids and her family, she could not deny that she would never be quite the same again.

Chapter 28

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your story, looking forward to reading more chapters!!!