Sunday, August 24, 2008

Chapter 40



They spent that evening and Sunday lounging around, watching movies and making love when the mood struck. It had been a wonderful weekend. Sitting on Katie's sofa in front of a roaring fire Jon turned to look at her, "Hey baby, I've been doing some thinking. I love you and want you to be a part of my life" he said. "I'd like you to meet the kids." He said, waiting for her response.

Katie looked at him, a little stunned. Not expecting that this soon, she said, "I would love to if you think it's the right time."

Jon assured her, "Kat, I am not going anywhere. I want to share every part of my life with you. And they are a major part of it. Like I said before, I have never been more sure of anything. I think it is the right time. Besides, I don't want to hide anymore. The media is going to get wind of this and I want them to know you first." He hesitated for a moment, then continued."That is a major part of this, I have to tell you. My life is fairly public. And you will be a part of that, if you choose to."

"Ok, I am honored. I want you to meet Sophia and Brandon, too." She smiled, trying to wrap her mind around the idea of it all. "And I understand that. I accept that. It is a part of who you are, and I love all that you are. I am sure it will take a bit of getting used to. But I am ready." Katie answered, realizing her life was about to take a whole other turn.

"I'd like to talk to my ex before I tell them about you though." Katie said not knowing fully how her kids would react to her seeing someone.

"Yes, I understand that. I will need to talk to Dot, as well." he agreed. "After we get past that we can work out a time and place." Jon was trying to think of a time when he would have the kids. "How about Thanksgiving?" he suggested. "You and your kids can come to Jersey to my parents' for the holiday. I'll have my kids that week too."

"The kids are going to be with their dad for Thanksgiving this year, I'm sorry. Plus it might be better to do it separately. It could be a challenge getting them used to the idea of me seeing someone, never mind the fact of who you are." Katie pointed out.

"That's a good point. But, if you don't have the kids on Thanksgiving, how about you come and then you can meet my family and the kids?" Jon suggested.

Katie thought for a moment. She didn't have any plans to speak of. She usually went to see her family when she had the kids. And Becca had invited her to visit with her family, but she was sure they would understand. Not seeing any reason to not accept, she responded. "I'd love to spend Thanksgiving with you and your family. I will admit the idea of meeting your parents makes me a little nervous, though."

He gave her a hug, "No need to worry, baby. I'm sure they will warn me to be careful and all, but they are nice people. After the life I have lead, this will be nothing to them." He laughed. Katie had to agree that was probably true. "And I have an idea for your kids. Let me check on a couple of things when I get back and I will let you know if it will work or not. Do they like football? I am thinking they might be able to come to a private Soul celebration we are having in a couple of weeks."

Katie nodded, "They might really like that. It sounds like a good way to break the ice."

Jon glanced at the clock on the mantle realizing that about time for him to head out. Sighing, he pulled Katie closer into his body. "It's time, baby." he whispered as he kissed her head.

Katie laid her head on his shoulder "I know." she sighed. It was getting harder and harder saying goodbye to him. Jon didn't like it, either.

He stood up and pulled her into his embrace kissing her deeply "I'll call you when I land." he said looking into her eyes.

"Ok, have a safe trip." Katie whispered back.

She walked him to the front door. He grabbed his suitcase as he slowly walked down the porch steps. Looking back as he put his luggage in the car he blew her a kiss. Katie returned the gesture and watched him back out of the driveway. When his car was out of sight she sighed and closed the door. Would it only get worse every time one of them had to leave, she wondered.

Jon was having similar thoughts. He hated leaving her. He wanted to hold her in his arms every night as they drifted off to sleep. He knew they had just stated their love last weekend, and knew they faced challenges with kids, family, the media and lifestyles. But he was in this for the long haul. He knew this without a doubt. He was excited for her to meet his family, sure that they would all love her. He was a little worried about the kids though. He knew that the boys would be won over pretty easily, but his daughter would be a different story. She had been trying to get him and Dot back together since they split. He understood, her being the oldest and a girl. She was a romantic at heart and could be a tough nut to crack. He sighed. They would cross that bridge when they came to it. He made a mental note to take her out to lunch before Katie came for Thanksgiving.

Katie decided to call Kevin that night. She didn't really think the kids would have a problem with her seeing someone, especially after all these years. But the hard part could be WHO she was seeing. She wanted to give him a little warning just in case he had to deal with some of the aftermath. Picking up the phone she dialed his number.

Laura answered, "Hello, Katie. How are you?" she inquired.

"Hi, Laura. I'm fine thanks. Is Kevin there? I need to run something by him." Katie said

"Sure, let me get him for you. Is everything ok?" Laura sounded concerned.

"Yes, everything is fine. I just have some big news and I wanted to let him know before I told the kids." Katie assured her.

Katie could hear muffled voices as she waited for Kevin to answer.

Finally she heard, "Hi Katie, is everything ok?"

"Yep, everything is fine. Things are very good, actually." Katie assured him. "Listen, I wanted to let you know that I have been seeing someone for a while. Things have progressed to the point that I want to introduce the kids to him."

"Oh, wow, Katie. That is great. It's about time." he said. "Is it serious?" Kevin asked.

"Yes, very. Enough for me to want him to meet the kids. There is more though." she hedged.

"You aren't pregnant are you?" Kevin said, sounding unsure.

"Oh God, no! Nothing like that." Katie laughed. "But this guy I am seeing, well, he's kinda famous."

"Really? Anybody I would know?" his curiosity peaked.

"Well, yeah. You're not going to believe this, but it's Jon Bon Jovi." Katie told him

Kevin hesitated for a moment, then burst out laughing. "Yeah right! You're funny. Really, who is it?" he snickered.

"Kevin, I'm serious. It's him. I am dating Jon Bon Jovi." Katie assured him.

Hearing the seriousness in Katie's voice, Kevin stopped laughing. "Whoa. Really? How in the heck did that happen?" This he had to hear.

Katie told him the story of how she had met Jon and how the relationship started. She assured him that they were getting very serious and that they had discussed it, deciding it was time for them to meet each others kids. "I just thought it was a good idea to inform you in case the kids had any issues with it since they are there half the time." Katie finished.

"Absolutely. I'm still in shock at who you are seeing, but I think it is great that you are seeing someone and that it's serious. You deserve to be happy." he told her.

They talked a few more minutes and hung up. She was relieved that Kevin was supportive and would be there if the kids had any issues with her dating Jon. Grabbing a book she headed upstairs to read while she waited for Jon's call.


After he exited the plane, Jon dialed Katie's number. "Hey, baby." he said when she answered. Katie closed her book and put her glasses on the bedside table. "Hey yourself, handsome." she smiled into the phone. "I take it you made it back to New York fine?" she inquired.

"Yep, I am home safe and sound." he assured her. "But I would rather be sitting next to you."

"Hm, I'm not sitting anymore, I am in bed." she teased.

Jon groaned. "You just love to torture me, don't you darlin'." he complained.

Katie giggled. "Your so easy to tease, cowboy."

They talked for a few more minutes. Katie told him about her conversation with Kevin, that he was very supportive of the situation and would help handle anything that came up with the kids. Jon told her he was going to stop in and talk to Dot one day when the kids were in school next week.

"Well baby, I'll let you get some sleep. I know you need to be up early tomorrow." Jon whispered.

Sighing, Katie agreed, "Yeah I know, but it is so hard to say goodbye."

"I know, Kat. I love you." Jon sighed.

"I love you too and I miss you already." Katie said, feeling the loneliness setting in.

"Night, darlin'. I will call you tomorrow, ok?" Jon said hanging up the phone.

"Ok, I can't wait." She said, hanging up.


On Wednesday of that week Jon dropped by to talk to Dot about the kids meeting Katie. Dot was a little surprised when she opened the door and Jon was standing there. Her first thought was something was wrong, "Is everything ok, Jon?" she asked.

"Everything is fine. I'd like to talk to you about something. Can I come in for a few minutes?" he assured her.

She stepped back letting him in. She couldn't imagine what would bring him all the way out here from the city. It had to be pretty important to warrant more than a phone call. Since the divorce, that had been the primary form of communication between them.

Dot directed him towards the kitchen to sit down. "Would you like a cup of coffee?" She offered. He nodded telling her that he'd love a cup. "So, what brings you all they way out here?" she asked.

"Dot, I wanted to let you know that I have been seeing someone and it is getting pretty serious. I'm in love with her." Jon decided to be completely honest and not hold anything back, "I want her to meet the kids, but wanted to give you the heads up first."

"Oh. I see. Well, that certainly didn't take you long, did it?" Dot responded, sounding a bit bitter. "So where you seeing her while we were still married?" she continued accusingly.

Jon looked at her incredulously. "Now wait a minute. You were the one who wanted this. I was not consulted and I was the one who had to learn to live with it." he responded with a bite. "I've made the best of it. I have moved on. I met a wonderful woman who makes me smile. Things are moving to the next level and it is time for her to meet my kids. If you don't like it, I'm sorry, but you lost the right to have any say in that part of my life." he continued getting angrier by the minute. "I stopped by to tell you as a courtesy. I will introduce her to the kids and you can choose to help them adjust to the new dynamics of this family or you can make it harder for us all, but regardless they are going to meet Katie." Jon finished setting down his coffee mug and walking towards the door.

"Jon, wait." Dot called to him. "I am sorry." she apologized. "It was just a shock to hear that you are seeing someone already and that it is serious. I don't know what got into me. Of course you are right. I will help the kids adjust if there are any issues." she assured him.

"Thank you. Is it still ok if I have the kids for both Thanksgiving and Christmas this year?" Jon asked her. "Katie is coming to my parents' house for Thanksgiving and I'd like them to meet her there." he added.

"Yes, that is fine." she answered.

They talked for another hour ironing out the details of Jon's next few visits with the kids. After leaving Dot's, he drove back to his penthouse and called Katie.

"Hey beautiful!" he greeted her when she answered. "How is your day going?"

"Hello! I didn't expect to hear from you until later tonight. My day is going great. I've already had one shoot and am getting ready to head to another one." she smiled into the phone, "How is your morning going?"

"Great! I just talked to Dot and everything is set for Thanksgiving." Jon informed her. They talked for a few more minutes until Katie had to go. They agreed to talk again later that night to finalize plans for the upcoming holiday and to discuss him meeting Sophia and Brandon.

When Jon called her that night they decided that he would drive to Katie's house Wednesday morning before Thanksgiving and he would drive them to his parents' house. He would pick the kids up Thanksgiving morning. Jon knew that he was going to have to prepare Steph before Thanksgiving. She was going to be the one that had the most trouble with the situation. He decided to take her out to lunch this week and talk to her before she met Katie.

The next morning Jon finalized the plans for the Soul celebration. The more he thought about it the more he thought it would be the perfect time to meet Katie's kids. He just needed to run it by Katie. Dialing her number he couldn't help but to smile. He knew it was early so chances were he would get her just waking up with her voice all sexy.

Katie was still asleep when her phone rang. She reached over to answer checking the caller ID seeing that it was Jon.

"Hey," she answered, "Is something wrong?" He never called this early in the mornings, hardly ever being awake this early himself.. Jon loved her first thing in the morning

Chuckling he said, "Good morning beautiful. No, nothing is wrong. I just wanted to hear your voice."

"What are you doing up so early?" Katie inquired. "You do realize what time it is, don't you?"

"Ehh, couldn't sleep." Jon replied with a chuckle, "So I thought I'd give you a call. I also thought more about the meeting for Sophia and Brandon."

"Ok, tell me what you found out." Katie asked as she sat up in her bed.

"Well, that private party planned for the Soul organization to celebrate the Championship,I thought that it would be cool for the kids to come to that. It's a private function so no press. And it will be a very laid back atmosphere. I think the kids would really enjoy it." Jon finished.

"That sounds like a great idea." Katie agreed.

They ironed out the details, and after they hung up Katie headed downstairs to make some coffee. She had a lot to do before the trip to Philly. She had to make hotel reservations, find airline tickets, clear her schedule, and then tell the kids about Jon. She didn't really anticipate them having a problem with it, but she did need to inform them of who he was before they met him. They needed to be prepared as this could be a big change in their lives as well.

Chapter 41

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great couple of chapter. I just got caught up. So glad they worked through their problems & are back together & moving to the next level.

Now onto meeting the kids. Hmm - I think it will be another stressful time for the happy couple. Hopefully Stephanie won't cause too many problems.

Can't wait for more.

Colleen