
The rest of the week was a challenge for Katie. She didn't have time to dwell on much with back to back clients everyday. But she also went through her day like a robot. She spent the evenings working at home on her laptop. Becca had been in and out all week and brought her lunch one day. They chatted over take-out from the nearby deli.
Becca noticed she looked extremely tired. "Kat, are you getting any sleep this week? You are going to work yourself to into the ground."
"I am getting a little. Ok, well I got a little one night. But I'm fine. I will rest this weekend with the kids." Katie said.
"How are you doing to do that with all their activities?" Becca asked.
"That's only Saturday. Sunday I have declared movie day. We are all staying in our jammies and watching movies all day. Would you like to join us?" Katie invited her.
"That sounds like a fabulous idea. Yeah, I would love to. I haven't seen the little monsters in a few weeks anyway. Tell me what movies you want and I can pick them up on the way over." Becca offered.
Ok, let me ask the kids when they get home tomorrow afternoon and I will let you know." Katie said, glad her friend would be there. The kids loved their "aunt" Becca and would be thrilled to see her. "Hey, have you heard anything from David? " Katie asked. She had meant to ask her about it all week, but kept forgetting.
"Oh yes, actually. He is coming down to Boston next week for a couple of days. I am going to show him around the city and we will have dinner one night. I meant to tell you, but didn't know if...." Becca said, her thought trailing off.
"If I would be upset or not? Don't be silly. I hope you have a great time. He seems like a really nice guy. But like you told me, just be careful." Katie warned, half joking.
"Kat. Hear me out for just a moment, ok? I've been thinking about this argument you had with Jon. Do you think there is any possibility that he made a mistake and said some things he may wish he hadn't? No one is perfect. I just don't see him as the spoiled, demanding rock star. I really don't." Becca said, putting her hand on her friend's arm.
Katie looked down, her expression very heavy."You know, I wish I thought so. But the things he said really hurt me deeply. I was really beginning to wonder how far things would go. I let myself entertain thoughts of the future and ask what if, you know? But when he decided to start calling the shots, I had to take a few steps back. Maybe he made a mistake. But I think if it's so hard now, it can only get more difficult in the future. So say what you want, but I guess I figured it would be best to cut the ties now before I got in any deeper."
"But Kat, you're miserable. I can see it. You don't even have to say anything. I'm not saying compromise yourself for him. But I have to wonder if maybe you should give it another chance. Give him another chance. I know he keeps calling and leaving you messages. I could tell when I saw you two together, how crazy you were about each other." Becca suggested, hoping to break through to her.
"Becs, thanks. I do appreciate what you're trying to do. And who knows, you might be right. I don't think he is a terrible person. I just don't know that it could even work. I know how busy he is, and there is no way I will compromise myself or our business for anyone else. Not at this stage in the game. Maybe I'm being stubborn. But I can't get past it. I can't get past how much his words hurt. Not right now." Katie said firmly.
Becca let out a sigh. She had to figure out something. She had a feeling if she could just get the two of them together, maybe Katie would listen to him. On the way home that afternoon, she contemplated her options. Katie's birthday was coming up in a couple of weeks. An idea started forming. Maybe she could do something after all. She drove faster as she rushed home to put a call into Jon.
Jon spent the week with Richie finishing up the rough tracks for his album. So much for a solo album, he thought on the way back to the hotel that last day. Richie had helped him through his writer's block. And helped him finish the tracks. He wasn't sure he would have been able to finish it without his help. When the whole group was together, it was easier to dive into work. But on his own here, since Katie had walked out, he couldn't wrap his brain around anything. As the valet took his car and he headed through the front door of the hotel, his phone rang. By this point he knew it wouldn't be Katie. But it was Becca.
He answered, "Hey, Becca. How's it going?"
"Ok, and you?" She asked.
"Eh, you know. Same. Whats up?" Jon asked, trying not to sound too anxious. He was wondering if she had anything new to tell him about Katie.
"Well, I think I may have come up with an idea. First of all, a couple things. I did talk to Kat a bit more. She doesn't think you are the scum of the earth. Even she has sort of admitted that she has this wall up and just can't get past it right now. She can be that way. She can hold a grudge at times. So I think if we can get you two in the same place, maybe you can convince her to listen to you. The problem is making that happen. Because as things are, she won't agree to it. So I had this idea of doing something for her birthday. She is working herself into the ground this month, partly due to this, I'm sure. But I was thinking about booking a couple of nights in Rockport at the Inn and convincing her to get away for a couple days by herself." Becca informed him. "And say you booked a room as well, during those same nights...what do you think?" Becca waited to hear his response.
Jon nodded to himself, liking the idea. "Yeah. That is a great idea. Heck, its the only chance I got. Do you think I need to book a separate room?"
"Uh, yes. If she walks in and sees you in her room, you assuming everything is just going to fall back into place, she will get even angrier. You are going to want to tread carefully here. OK?" Becca chuckled.
"Point taken. You're right. And so is she to an extent. I will admit I haven't had to bend a lot before in a relationship, and I need to convince her I am willing to do that for her." Jon said, knowing he would do whatever it took. "I will talk to the guys and clear the weekend. Just let me know for sure if she agrees to go, ok? How about her clients? If she has work, there is no way she will do it." Jon asked, nervously.
"I will cover for her. No worries! I can handle working a little overtime." She assured him.
"Ok." he said, "Becca, I can't thank you enough. If I can actually get her to listen to me, I will owe it all to you."
"Don't thank me. And no, you won't owe it to me. I will arrange it, but after that it is all up to you. Don't screw it up again!" She warned him.
"Don't worry, I won't." He answered.
After hanging up with Jon, Becca called the Inn and booked two nights over the weekend of Katie's birthday. After that she called Kevin to see if he could keep the kids for the weekend, just telling him Katie had been working very hard and she wanted to surprise her for her birthday. Kevin agreed.
The next day was Friday. Becca stopped by the studio early before heading into Boston for a session. Katie was there working on the computer, her glasses perched on her nose.
"Hey, chick!" Becca greeted her as she sat down at the desk next to her.
Katie looked up and smiled at her. "Hey, yourself." She said, wondering why Becca was so bouncy this morning.
"Just thought I would stop by on my way into town. Hey, someone's got a birthday coming up, I hear." Becca chirped.
Katie looked over at her, cautiously. She knew that tone. "Yeah, so?"
"Well, I want to do something for your birthday." She stated.
Katie stopped working and turned toward her, "No, Becs, it's not necessary. I'm not really in the mood to celebrate this year."
"Hear me out, ok? I didn't mean celebrate. Frankly I think that is the last thing you need. But I do think you need some time away to straighten some things out." Ha, Becca thought, not what she thinks she had to straighten out.
Katie shook her head, "I appreciate that, I really do. But I have far too much work to do. I can't take the time."
"Ah, yes you can. It's already taken care of. I have booked you two nights at the Inn in Rockport. And I am covering whatever needs doing for the weekend. I looked at your calendar and you only have one session on Saturday afternoon. I can work on processing whatever you need done as well." Becca said, determined.
"Wow. Your such an awesome friend, Becs. But I have the kids, too. Between their activities, my session and work, I can't see how it is possible." Katie said.
"Already taken care of. I called Kevin and he said he could take the kids. You can't say no. You need this, Kat. You need a couple of days away to clear your head." she said. Or to admit that you're in love with a rock star, if he can get you to shut up long enough to listen to him, that is, she thought.
Katie leaned back against the office chair and let out a big sigh."You really have thought of everything, haven't you?" She chuckled. "Alright. Maybe you're right. I'll go. Thank you for looking after me." Katie said.
Becca stood up, giving her a hug. "Yay! I am so glad you will go. You will feel so much better." She said excitedly. Katie looked at her for a second wondering why she was so happy about it. Maybe she's tired of me being such a grump, she laughed to herself.
On her way into Boston Becca called Jon. She didn't even give him time to say hello. "Hey, Jon. Book your room. She's in."
"No way, really? Thank you so much, Becca. I really owe you!" He said, relieved.
"Like I said, don't thank me. It's up to you now. Plus you're doing me favor. She has been a grump! So if this works, your making my life much easier." She teased.
Jon laughed, "I will do my best!"
Back in New York Jon threw himself into work, trying to chase away the thoughts of Katie that kept plaguing his mind. Despite the fact that he may have a chance to talk to her, he was still in a very ill tempered mood. David had taken off to Boston for a couple of days, which didn't make Jon's mood any better. By the end of the next week the patience of everyone else was wearing very thin under his demands. One afternoon Richie decided to pull him aside and talk to him.
"Hey, Kid. Pull up a seat and talk to me." Richie said, sitting at the wet bar.
Jon looked at him, knowing what was coming."I don't need to talk. Everything is fine."
"Yes, you do need to talk. And if you don't, then I do. I know what's going on with you and Katie. And I know it sucks, man. But you have to lighten up. You're starting to ask for the impossible and it's wearing on everyone." Richie chided him. "Why don't we take a break for the rest of the day and get out of here?"
Jon scowled at him. "We need to bang this out, Rich. It's nice that you think we have time to play around. There are deadlines. If everyone would just put in the effort, we might be done by now."
"Listen. Everyone is putting in the effort. You're just as cranky as an ill hornet and no one can appease you. Pretty soon Tico is going to be chucking sticks atcha'! Now lets cut loose for an afternoon and get back to work tomorrow." Richie demanded.
"Fine!" Jon yelled, getting out of his chair and grabbing his coat. He turned around looking at Richie, "Then get your lazy ass off the stool and let's go."
Richie got up and followed him, shaking his head. He could be worse that a PMSing woman, he thought.
He followed Jon down to the corner bar where they played pool for a few hours, and Jon threw back more than a few beers. If anyone took notice of who they were, they stayed away. Richie finally decided it was time to get Jon home as he was missing the pool balls when he aimed.
"Come on. Lets get you to bed." Richie said steering him the front of the bar.
"Nah, Rich. I'm good. Lets go somewhere. I'm ready to PARTY!" He slurred. Richie caught him just as he was about to stumble down the stairs outside the bar.
"Yah, ok, Kid. Let's go." He propped him up as they weaved their way back to the penthouse.
Once inside Richie sat Jon down and took his shoes off, then maneuvered him to the bedroom, rolling him onto the bed.
"Kat, that you? Come 'er, baby. Give me a big kiss!" Jon mumbled, making kissy lips at Richie.
Richie laughed, "I ain't kissing you, Kid. You're not that pretty. Get some rest." He slapped Jon on the back and left quietly.
The next morning Jon woke up with a pounding headache. He slowly opened his eyes as he held his head. Sitting up he said, "Ow!" He stumbled into the kitchen and guzzled a couple glasses of water. He vaguely remembered Richie bringing him home after the bar. Oh man, he thought, I am a mess. And not just from drinking too much. He thought about what Richie had said yesterday, figuring he most likely owed everyone an apology. He looked at the clock on the kitchen wall, it said 9:30 a.m. The rest of the guys would be there in a couple of hours. Just enough time to work out some of the cotton between his ears, he thought as he headed to change and run on the treadmill.
A couple hours later he heard a knock on the door. They guys filed in after he opened it. Richie slapped him on the back and said, "You doing ok today?"
"Yeah, I am ok. You were right. I was being an ass. But what is new lately." Jon said as they went into the studio.
After everyone got set up, Jon said, "Hey guys, before we get started, I just want to say I am sorry for being an ass this week."
"Yeah, ok. Just don't let it happen again." Dave said, laughing. "Now can we get to work?"
Tico hit the symbols and gave Jon a big grin. "It's those damn females, boss. They'll do it to you every time." Jon nodded, they sure did.
"All right, then. Lets get this thing done!" Jon said as he turned around toward the mic stand.
Chapter 37


1 comment:
Great chapter...now on to Rockport......
Post a Comment