
Friday afternoon Katie heard the bus pull up in front of the driveway. Looking out the kitchen window she saw Brandon bound off the bus and Sophia slowly following him, her iPod on. It was so funny how different they were, she thought. Brandon was still a kid, impulsive. Sophia was into her own little teenage world now. Music, cell phone, friends, shopping. Brandon came bursting in the front door, dumping his backpack in the middle of the floor.
"Hey, Mom. What is there to eat?" he asked as he opened the fridge.
"Nothing, until you pick up your backpack. You know better than that." Katie scolded him. "And nice to see you, too."
"Sorry." He said picking up the backpack and hanging it on the coat hook by the door. Then he walked over to Katie and gave her a quick hug and peck on the cheek. "So Mom, can I spend the night at Zack's tonight?" He asked as he sat on a bar stool at the island. "Our game is out of town tomorrow and his mom said she could drive us."
"Sure, I don't see why not. I do have to talk to you and Sophia about something first, before you go." Katie said as Sophia walked in the front door, letting it slam behind her. Despite the fact that she had the quieter personality of the two, somehow Sophia always managed to make the most noise. Everyone knew when she entered a room. She walked over to her mom giving her a kiss on the cheek and yelled, "Hi mom!"
Katie removed one of her ear buds, "Hello, yourself. You don't need to yell. How about giving me your full attention for a bit, huh?" Katie figured it would be best to talk to them before Brandon left and Sophia disappeared into the office on her computer.
Sophia took the other ear bud out, grabbed an apple and sat at the island next to Brandon. "Sure, ok. What's up."
At this point she even had Brandon's attention. It was unusual for her to sit them both down to discuss anything unless it was pretty important. They both waited, wondering what was coming.
Katie pulled up a stool on the opposite side of the island. "I want to talk to you both about something. You know it has been quite a few years since your dad and I divorced. I have been dating someone."
Sophia took a bite of her apple, looking a bit relieved. "That's it, mom? Your dating? It's about time! Does that really require a family meeting? I mean you have gone on dates before. Not many, but it isn't really news."
Katie went on, "Well, yes. It is this time. We have gone on more than a few dates. And things are becoming more serious." She hesitated for a moment before continuing. "He and I have decided that it is time for you guys to meet him. He has children as well and I am also going to meet them."
Brandon still looked a bit confused. "Ok. That's great mom. It really is about time. You don't have to worry about us. We won't be mean to him or anything."
"I know, sweetie. You guys have been wonderful with your dad remarrying and everything. But the man I am seeing is more the news than the actual fact that I am dating someone." Katie informed them.
Sophia stopped chewing for a moment and said, "You're not dating one of my teachers, are you mom?" She looked very worried.
Katie had to laugh, "Nothing like that. No, this man is famous. Very famous, as a matter of fact."
Brandon looked a bit excited, "Oh, is he on a sports team? In the movies? Do we know who he is?"
Katie nodded, knowing they knew exactly who he was. They had been raised on the music and endured her obsession over the years. "Yes, you know who he is. He is the lead singer for Bon Jovi. Jon." She said, waiting.
Sophia stopped chewing again and started laughing hysterically. "Oh mom, really. You're really very funny. But come on, who is he? I know, the news guy that just moved into town? Didn't you do his kids' pictures?"
"I did, but it isn't him. I'm not kidding. I'm dating Jon and have been for the past two months." They both studied her face for some hint that she was kidding, or losing her mind.
Seeing neither of those, Brandon piped up. "Whoa. That is so cool!" He didn't try to figure out how it could happen.
Sophia, however, still couldn't figure out how it would be possible. "But how, mom, it isn't like you are famous or something. Or even know people who are. How does that work, exactly?"
"I was covering for Auntie Becca and he was my client that day. Believe me, it was a shock. But he asked me out to lunch and things progressed from there." She explained. "We have been seeing each other for the past two months and things have gotten very serious. So we have decided it's time to meet all the kids. Your grandparents have already met him."
Finally letting it sink in a bit, Sophia said, "That is really freaky. Wow. My mom is dating Jon Bon Jovi. Wait until I tell Sara!"
Katie got serious again, "Now I need to ask you two to keep this to yourselves for just a couple of weeks, ok? Because of who he is, I don't want word getting out until I have met his kids, too. Your dad knows, so you can say anything to him and talk to him about it as well. And I am also here if you have any questions or concerns, ok? But can you do that for me?"
Brandon nodded, but Sophia looked a bit disappointed, but said, "Darn. Yeah, I can. But this is asking a lot, you know. This is GOOD gossip."
Katie chuckled, "Ok, thank you. Now the last thing is when and where you are going to meet him. There is an event next weekend in Philadelphia. It is a private party of sorts for the Philly Soul win. You know he is part team owner, right?"
Brandon's eyes almost popped out of his head, "Whoa! You mean we get to go to Philadelphia and meet the Soul?"
Katie nodded, "Yep. You get to meet them, too." She was glad he was so excited.
Sophia pondered the information for a moment and then said, "Can I go shopping for a new outfit?"
Laughing, Katie nodded, "Sure. We can both go, maybe with Becca. Sound good?"
Sophia nodded, jumping up, then thought to ask, "Was that the big news?"
Katie nodded, "Yes, you're free now. But I want both of you to know I am here to talk if you have any concerns going forward, ok."
Brandon said, "We know, mom, we know!" rolling his eyes. "Yeah, mom we are fine. You have been divorced forever, anyway." Katie guessed they were taking it better than she thought they would. Four years was forever when you were 15, she knew.
Miles away in New York Jon was dialing Stephanie's cell phone number.
She answered, "Hi Dad, what's up." It wasn't usual for him to call her cell phone.
"Hi sweetie, how are you? I wanted to take you out for lunch tomorrow. What do you say?" He asked. He figured it would be best to not even mention anything about Katie until then.
"Sure. Can I pick where?" She asked.
"Yeah, sweetie, that's fine. I will pick you up at 11:30, sound good?"
"Yep. I just need to be back by 2 because Jess is coming over to work on a paper with me."
"Alright, I will see you tomorrow. Love you." He said.
"You, too." She said quickly. Ever since the divorce she had stopped telling either of them that she loved them. Jon knew part of it was the age, but most of it was the fact that she was still having trouble with it and was slightly mad at them both.
Later that night Katie called Jon before she went to bed. "Hi there, how was your day?" She asked when he answered the phone.
"Hi, baby. It was good. I talked to Steph. I am taking her out to lunch tomorrow and then when I drop her off I will have a talk with the boys as well. She is going to be a bit of a challenge, I think. She still has some unresolved issues with the divorce. How about you? How did it go with Sophia and Brandon?" He inquired.
"Aw, poor girl. I can only imagine how difficult it is for her. I remember being that age and being upset with my parents. They took it just fine. It was almost as if they couldn't see why it was a big deal until I told them who you were. But Brandon is so very excited to see the Soul players. And Sophia just wants to go shopping. So it's all good." She said.
Jon was relieved that at least her kids seemed to on board with it. "That's awesome news. I can't wait to meet them next weekend." He said, still thinking about Stephanie.
"Yeah, I was relieved." She admitted. Realizing what must be on his mind she said, "Try not to worry too much about Steph, ok? I know what it's like. I will take it easy with her and let her accept me in her own time. It'll be ok."
Jon was touched at her concern for Steph, "Thanks, baby. I know you will. And you're right. Hopefully she will come around."
Jon picked Stephanie up on Saturday and took her to lunch at a local cafe and ice cream shop. After placing their order Jon asked her how her week had been and how school was going. After their meals arrived he knew he couldn't postpone the inevitable any longer.
"Sweetie, I want to talk to you about something." He said, trying to figure out the best way to bring it up.
"What is it, dad?" She said, working on her french fries.
"First of all, I know that you're still upset about the divorce. I want you to know that I understand that." He said, cautiously. She stopped chewing, having a feeling she knew what was coming. "But I wanted to talk to you about something going on in my life. I have been seeing someone for a couple of months. It's getting pretty serious and I want to introduce her to you guys." He said, stopping to see her reaction and let her say anything she might have on her mind.
"I see." She looked down at her plate and kept eating.
"Steph, I know this isn't easy for you. I know, frankly, that it is very difficult for you. But you have to accept that your mom and I have moved on. I love you and I am not doing this to hurt you. But it is only natural that your mom and I will eventually see other people. Talk to me, sweetie."
"You know, dad. I get it. But the thing you don't get is this. I didn't have a choice in this. But yet you still want me to accept it. To move on. I can't just do that. It wasn't up to me in the first place and I am not going to just be happy about it. So go ahead, see whoever you want. But I don't want any part of it. You guys didn't consult me when you got divorced, why are you consulting me now? " She said, tears forming in her eyes.
Jon sighed, "I understand that, Steph. Believe me, I do. And I'm sorry this has hurt you so badly. And while I'm not going to push this down your throat, this is happening and you are going to meet her over Thanksgiving at Grandma and Grandpa's house." He knew how unhappy she was, but he also knew he could not hold back his life just because she didn't want him to move on. "And while I'm trying to keep your feelings in mind, I do expect you to be polite to Katie. She is a great lady and she is not going anywhere."
She looked past him, rolling her eyes. "Fine. I will be nice. Just don't expect me to give her a big hug. Because you don't get it, dad. You don't get it at all."
After they finished lunch and drove back to her mom's house, they went inside. Jon gave her a hug before she headed upstairs. "I love you, sweetie."
Giving him a quick hug she answered, "You, too." and was off without looking at him.
He sighed, as Dot came into the front hall, "How did it go?" She asked.
"As expected." He admitted. "I want to talk to the boys quick, if you don't mind."
"Sorry. She is still struggling." She said, "Sure, they are downstairs in the play room. Just go on down." She motioned toward the basement. "She will be ok, Jon. You have my support and I will do whatever I can to help her work through it as well. She wasn't any happier with me when I went out on a few dates. I actually think she is angrier at me since she thinks it is my fault."
"That may be true. Well, we just have to be here for her through it all." He said as he headed to the playroom. Jake and Romeo ran over to him, jumping on him, "Daddy!"
He gave them each a big hug. Jesse was playing a video game and waved to him, finishing up. He came over and sat on the sofa with his brothers. "Hey dad, what are you doing here?"
"I wanted to stop by and talk to you guys for a few minutes." Romeo sat on his lap with his head on Jon's chest. Jake and Jesse sat each on one side.
Jesse said, curiously. "What's up?" He knew to the boys life was not that much different. Jesse had some issues at first, being older. But he was pretty laid back and had accepted the divorce as well as could be expected. They still saw Jon as often as they ever did, due to the nature of his job.
"Well, I wanted to let you know that I have been dating a lady named Katie for a few months now. She is a real special lady. And I want you guys to meet her over Thanksgiving in a couple weeks." He told them.
Jesse had accepted that his parents were not going to get back together, and took everything in stride. "That's cool, dad. Does she have any kids?"
"She does, yes. She has a girl who is Steph's age named Sophia, and a boy named Brandon who is just about your age, Jesse."
Jake pipped up, "Do you love 'er?"
Jon laughed, ruffling his hair, "I do, Jakie."
"Did you tell Steph?" Jesse asked cautiously. He knew how his sister could be.
"I did. She doesn't like the idea too much. But I wanted to let you all know. If you have any questions or want to talk about with me or your mom, you can, ok?" He reassured them all. "We both love you and always want you to be happy. How you do feel about it?"
Jesse said, shrugging his shoulders, "It's cool, dad. I'm glad she has a kid my age, at least."
Jake asked, "Is she pretty?" Jon had to laugh again, "She is."
Romeo scrambled down to go play. He had been pretty good through the whole divorce. He clung to Jon at first, but had adjusted very well. Jake never did seem very affected by it. He knew they would eventually come to love Katie. It was Stephanie he was most concerned about. Sighing, he played with the boys for a while longer before he headed back into New York.
Chapter 42


2 comments:
Great chapter, thanks so much. Glad to see that Katie's kids are all good with her new man. I think Stephanie is going to make her unhappiness known shortly.
Can't wait for the next chapter. Great story ladies. I love the way it flows together so well.
Colleen
Thank you so much! So glad you are enjoying the story!
Post a Comment