
Katie felt her pulse quicken as they pulled into the driveway of his parent's house. Jon noticed the fleeting look of panic on her face, and took her hand, squeezing it reassuringly. She gave him a nervous smile in return.
He leaned over and kissed her temple, "Don't worry, baby. They won't bite. They are very down to earth people."
"I will admit I'm bit nervous to meet your parents and family, but I'll be fine." she smiled, taking in the house. Since the kids had grown up and left home, his parents had moved into a bigger house on a quieter street in town. But it was still a typical suburban home, neatly maintained and not at all pretentious. Katie took a deep breath as Jon walked around to her side of the car, opening her door. The kids weren't due to arrive for a couple of hours yet. Tony and Matt would be there at any time as well. Jon took her hand and she grabbed her purse in the other. Not usually one to give into nerves, Katie thought her heart might jump out of her throat. What is wrong with me, she thought. It was easy now to think of him as a regular guy when they were together. And to forget about all the other stuff that went along with his life. But she realized meeting his parents and family, the children, was a really big step in their relationship, especially giving the fact of who he was. She didn't realize how nervous she was until there she stood facing the front door. Jon gave her one more gentle squeezed and opened the door, taking her hand.
She could hear voices in the back of the house, in the kitchen, she assumed. Jon closed the door and yelled out, "Mom, Dad, we're here."
"Well, it's about time. Come on in, I'm up to my elbows in turkey." His mom yelled from the kitchen. He gave her a quick reassuring kiss and led her through the house to the kitchen. Facing away from them, his mom was wrangling with an enormous turkey on the counter. She heard them walk in and looked over her shoulder. She washed her hands quickly and wiped them, turning around. Katie noticed she was a very pretty older lady, with a warm smile.
She walked right over to Katie and Jon, "Hello. You must be Katie." She said, giving Katie a gentle hug and kiss on the cheek.
Jon introduced her to his mom, "Kat, this is my mom, Carol." Katie was immediately put at ease by the warm welcome. She returned the hug, and finding her words, said, "It's so nice to meet you, Mrs. Bongiovi."
"Oh, please. Call me Carol. We are not formal here in the least. Can't be with a house full of boys." She said, winking at Jon.
Jon kissed his mom on the cheek and gave her a big hug. "Where's dad?" He asked as his mom motioned for them to sit at the large island.
"He went out to get some onions. Imagine, I didn't realize I was out and I can't make my stuffing without them." She laughed. They made small talk while Carol finished with the turkey, and Jon put it in the oven for her. The door to the garage opened and in walked an older, but very handsome man, Katie noticed. Both of his parents were very good looking, Katie thought, no wonder Jon turned out so well. She was introduced to Jon's dad who welcomed her as warmly as Carol had. They all sat down around the island over coffee. Carol and John Sr. asked Katie about her family and business.
"Tony used to be into photography. When he gets here you should talk shop with him," John Sr. said when he heard more about Katie's business.
Carol excused herself as she started to cut up ingredients for the stuffing. Katie figured she might as well jump right in and offered to help.
Carol gave her a warm smile and handed her an apron, after Katie laid her jacket on the stool. "I will take all the help I can get. Thank you, Katie." She said with a wink, then nodded toward Jon and his dad, "You notice those two aren't all too quick to jump up, now are they." She said, her intent for them to hear her.
John Sr. winked at his wife and asked Jon, "When you get a moment, I want to show you the sound system I had installed in the rec room downstairs. I think it's pretty good, but what do I know."
Jon nodded, noticing Katie seem to be getting along just fine with his mom. "We can go down now for a few. Do you mind, Kat?" He asked in Katie's direction.
She shook her head, feeling right at home helping Carol, "No, don't be silly. Go!" She said giving him a big smile.
A while later the door to the garage opened again and in walked Matt and Tony. Katie recognized them right away from pictures she had seen on the Internet. She had seen Matt in person a few times during the last tour since he was now in charge of the fan club. Carol introduced them to Katie, they greeted her as warmly as Jon's parents had.
They talked for a few minutes and Carol sent them downstairs to find Jon and their dad. "They will just get in the way, too." She told Katie as they headed back to chopping.
Katie couldn't help but laugh. What a warm, fun house, she thought. It was obvious they were all very close.
After they mixed the stuffing together and put it in to oven, Carol excused herself for a minute to get a pan from the basement. Just after she went down, Katie heard a knock on the front door. Not knowing how long it would take Carol, she figured she might as well let whoever it was in. Dot wasn't due with the kids for another half an hour, Katie thought. But as she opened the door she was greeted with the sight of Dot and the four kids.
Finding her words she put on a smile and said, "Hi, come on in. Everyone is in the rec room downstairs and Carol went in search of a pan in the basement." Katie said stepping aside. The two younger boys ran into the family room next to the kitchen.
Dot stepped into the entry way as Katie extended her hand in greeting. "I'm Katie, you must be Dorthea."
Dot hesitated for a moment, looking Katie over, but put on a smile taking Katie's hand in a quick shake. "Yes, that's me. Nice to meet you, Katie. I'm sorry we are early. I had to pick up something on the way to my parent's house." She apologized, noticing she had totally caught Katie off guard.
Being always gracious, Katie shook her head, "Oh, no worries." She turned her attention to the older boy and girl standing next to their mom.
Dot realized she should introduce them, "This is Stephanie and Jesse. Guys, this is Katie."
Katie extended her hand to Jesse who said, "Hi Katie, great to meet you." He turned to his mom, "I'm going to find grandpa." He said as he ran off.
Stephanie looked at Katie making no move to smile or extend her hand, or even offer a greeting.
Katie wasn't going to push in any way, so simply said, "Hi Stephanie, it's nice to meet you."
Steph looked at her and mumbled, "You, too." before she followed her brother.
After the kids left there was a moment of awkward silence until Katie piped up, "Ok, well, I think Jon is dropping them off later." She said to Dot.
Dot nodded, "Yes, that's fine." She said, "I'm sorry about Steph. She is still having a tough time."
Katie nodded, "I totally understand." Just then she heard the others coming back upstairs.
Jon walked into the entry way. He put his arm firmly around Katie's waist. "Hi, Dot. Looks like you two have met." He said cautiously, looking down at Katie.
Katie nodded, 'Yes, we have. It was a pleasure to meet you, Dorthea." Dot nodded in answer.
"Thanks for bringing them over. I will drop them off later this afternoon?" Jon asked her.
"That's fine. Well, I have to get going. Happy Thanksgiving, tell your folks for me, too, if you don't mind." She said to Jon.
He nodded, "Will do."
After the front door closed Jon gave Katie a big hug, "I'm so sorry, sweetie. I had no idea she was going to be early. I wouldn't have left you up here alone if I had."
Katie shook her head, "Oh, don't be silly. You didn't know and it was fine." Katie knew she would eventually meet Dorthea, and in some ways, was glad it was out of the way.
Just then Carol walked in, oblivious to the fact Jon had his arms around Katie, "Katie, I feel terrible. I would have stayed up here and had John find the darn pan if I would have known."
"Carol, really, it's fine." Katie assured her.
They all walked back into the kitchen. Jon's legs were attacked by a small Romeo, followed by Jake who gave his dad a hug. "Hi, daddy."
Jon knelt down giving both boys a hug, "Hi guys. Hey, there is someone I want you to meet." Katie knelt down next to him. "This is the lady I told you both about. This is Katie."
Katie was greeted with a sloppy kiss and hug from Romeo, which she returned, laughing. She extended her hand to Jake who shook it, saying, "Hi Katie." he then leaned toward his dad and whispered, "She is pretty, daddy."
Katie chuckled when she heard him. The two younger ones ran off to the rec room where the older two already were.
Jon smiled at Katie, "Well, those two were the easy ones. What do you say we tackle the other two?" He said, taking her hand leading her downstairs. She nodded, following him down.
Once downstairs Jon joined the older two who where playing a video game. "Jesse, Stephanie. Listen up for a minute." Jesse put down the game and turned around right away. Stephanie took her time turning around, and looked off over Jon's shoulder when she did eventually face them.
"This is Katie. Please say hello."
Jesse jumped up and shook her hand again, "Hi again, Katie." he said with a smile.
Katie took his hand once again and said, "The pleasure is mine, Jesse."
Jon turned to Steph, "Steph, this is Katie. Can you say hello, please?"
Stephanie looked up at Katie, and extended her hand as she stood up. "Hi, Katie. It's nice to meet you." She said, her tone forced, yet polite.
Katie returned her hand shake, "I'm pleased to meet you, too, Stephanie." She said smiling at Stephanie.
Steph gave her a small smile and turned to Jon, "Can I finish my game now?" Jon nodded, giving Steph a quick hug.
Jon and Katie hung out with the kids for a while, shooting Nerf basketball with the boys. Eventually the younger two asked to watch a movie. So Jon set it up for them, and then took Katie back upstairs where the aroma of turkey with all the fixings started drifting through the air. Everyone sat around the big island while Katie helped Carol finish up a few things. Then they all moved into the family room just off the kitchen. Besides the little surprise of meeting Dot, and the chilly welcome from Stephanie, Katie felt right at home. She enjoyed hearing stories of Jon and his brothers growing up.
At one point she said to Carol, "You must be a saint after dealing with these three."
Carol laughed, "Thank you, dear. It did take a lot of turning my head in the other direction." She admitted.
Katie chatted with Tony about photography, learning he was now a music producer. Carol asked Jon to help her take the bird out to check it. Katie and Matt talked a bit about the fan club.
Matt said, "I thought you looked a little familiar." He laughed. "Now I know why. I checked you in for a few of the concerts."
Katie nodded, laughing in return. "Now Matt, I have a couple of ideas I want to run by you for the fan club."
Matt chuckled, leaning back against the sofa, "Ok, shoot."
Katie talked to him about having another fan club trip and maybe a fan club only concert.
He nodded, listening. "That could work. That is a definite possibility. What else would the fans like to see, do you think?" He inquired.
Since he seemed really interested in what the fans thought, she told him about some of the issues and concerns she had read about on the board. He admitted he didn't take the time to read everything he should. But he seemed very interested in hearing what she had to say and promised he would look into the areas of concern. Katie was pleased with his interest in the fan club. Talking to him only confirmed her feelings that he did indeed care, but was still ironing out a few things.
Just then Carol came back and informed them that dinner was ready. She called the kids up and they all sat around the big dining room table to enjoy the feast. Jon took Katie's hand under the table, squeezing it as they said Grace. Everyone dived in, Katie eating more than her fair share.
She paused after a bite, "Carol, this is delicious. Thank you so much."
Carol smiled and nodded, "I'm glad you are enjoying it dear. Thank you for all your help!" After dinner the guys offered to clean up, so Carol suggested the girls and little boys go downstairs for a game of Rockstar on the Wii. Katie really enjoyed hanging out with Jon's family. Stephanie even warmed up a little bit during the game, and burst out laughing a few times. The little ones tired of the game eventually and wanted another movie. Carol started it for them and Romeo was asleep on the sofa before it even started.
Katie was sitting next to Stephanie on the floor, and attempted to talk to her a little. "Thanks for sharing the day with me, Stephanie. I had a great time meeting you all."
Steph looked at Katie tentatively. She had to admit Katie didn't seem so bad.
She wasn't ready to let her guard down or anything, but it wasn't as bad as she had thought it would be. "I had fun, too. I'm glad you came today."
Katie smiled at her, "I really appreciate that, Stephanie." She talked to Steph a little more, asking her what activities she liked, what music she listened to. Stephanie even asked a few questions about Sophia and Brandon. The guys came downstairs after the kitchen was cleaned up. Jon noticed Katie and Steph talking, and they even appeared to be enjoying the conversation.
He sat down on the floor next to Katie and kissed Steph on the head. "It's good to see you smiling, sweetie."
She returned her dad's hug, but didn't say anything. They all eventually went back upstairs to have dessert. Afterward Jon noticed it was time to drop the kids back off with Dot.
He asked, "Kat, do you want to come with?"
"No, I think I'll stay here. You go." She said, thinking it would be good for him to have a few minutes alone with them. Matt and Tony left as well. John Sr. chatted with Katie while Carol cleaned up dessert, then excused himself to tinker with the sound system. Katie visited with Carol, hearing more stories of Jon growing up and told her about growing up in Nashville, glazing over the less than stellar parts. She showed Katie around the house on a quick tour, showing her where the guest bedroom was. Jon had already brought Katie's suitcase in when he got back from dropping the kids off.
Back downstairs Carol said, "I am going to leave you two to your own defenses for a while and try to talk John into watching a movie." She paused to give Katie and Jon a hug as she left. "I'm so glad you could join us, dear. It has been a real pleasure getting to know you."
Katie could tell she really meant it, "Oh, the pleasure is mine. Thank you for welcoming me into your home." Carol patted her hand, "Just make yourself right at home."
Carol winked at Jon as she left the room.
Carol and John Sr. bid them goodnight as they went upstairs, Jon led Katie downstairs to the rec room. Knowing he had to be fairly good, he was still looking forward to having Katie to himself. They talked about the day.
"Baby, thank you. You are just amazing." He said, snuggling in her neck as he sat next to on the sofa.
"What are you thanking me for?" She laughed at the tickle.
"Just everything. You were so great with my family and with the kids, well, wow. You even managed to pull a few smiles out of Steph. I couldn't have been happier for how well that went. I know she has a long way to go." He admitted.
"Jon, she's fine. She was very polite. I know this is very hard for her. And we will just take it slow." Katie said. Katie let out a yawn, though she had no intention of going to bed any time soon.
"I'm really sorry about the surprise meeting with Dot." He said, "I felt terrible."
"Don't be silly. It had to happen eventually. It's just one more hurdle out of the way." She said, as she laid her head on his chest. "And she was fine. Very polite."
Katie let out another yawn, as Jon stroked her hair. She laid her head on his chest and let her eyes close, enjoying his touch. Jon heard her breathing become more slow and shallow. He rested his head on the back of the sofa, letting sleep take over. Jon woke sometime in the very early morning, his neck stiff. He gently roused Katie and led her upstairs to the guest room. He kissed her goodnight at the door and tiptoed to his old bedroom, looking forward to spending the next day with her, alone.
Chapter 44


2 comments:
Am really enjoying this story ... one small thing ... Jon's wife's name is Dorothea - with an "o" ...
Thank you for reading! The alternative spelling was used on purpose. ;)
Post a Comment