Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Chapter 28




The alarm woke Katie at 7 a.m. Their flight to Nashville was leaving at 11. They were packed, but they still had a few things to do before they left for the airport. Plus getting the kids moving in the mornings was never easy, especially after their dad had dropped them off the night before, they had stayed up late telling Katie about their trip. Heading downstairs to make coffee she thought about how much she missed Jon already. One night sleeping alone and she was already lonesome. This was going to be a long week in Nashville. She didn't even want to think about how long it would be before she could fall asleep in his arms. Letting out a small sigh, she tried to decide it was too early to call him. As her coffee brewed, Katie gave up and went to get her phone. She just wanted to hear his voice. She shook her head chuckling, yeah, I have it bad. Real bad.

Jon answered on the third ring. Katie could tell that she had woke him up by the huskiness in his voice. "Good morning beautiful." he answered.

"I'm sorry to call you so early, but I just wanted to hear your voice before we left for Nashville." she apologized.

"Don't be sorry, baby. I was hoping you would call before you left." he assured her. "I miss you."

"Me too." Katie sighed.

They chatted for a few minutes until Katie realized that she had to get moving or they were going to be late to the airport. "So I will see you on Thursday?" she asked.

"Oh yeah, baby. We are definitely still on. I have to see you!" Jon said in that husky voice she loved so much. "Have a safe trip and I'll call you tomorrow afternoon." he added.

Flipping her phone closed Katie headed back upstairs to wake the kids.


They arrived in Nashville where Katie's brother, Jason, was waiting for them.

"Welcome home, Kat." he greeted her with a big hug. He noticed she looked very happy, more so than last time he saw her. He had not seen that bounce in her step since before she had found out about Kevin's affair. Jason still wanted to plant his fist in Kevin's face for hurting her so badly. He made a note to ask her what had put that smile on her face. Giving the kids each a hug, he grabbed some of the luggage and they headed towards home.

As they drove to their parents' house the kids entertained them with tales of their summer in the Bahamas. It sounded like they had a wonderful time with their dad and new stepmom. Katie was glad that they had such a good time.

As they pulled into the driveway Katie let out a deep sigh. Jason put his hand on her shoulder, knowing what she was thinking.

Sophia noticed it too. "Mom, are you still going to be mad at Grandpa? I wish you would just give him a chance."

She didn't see the tears that threatened her mother's eyes, hearing those words. Jason squeezed her shoulder in understanding. She did want to get past it but the one thing it would take, he could never say, "I am sorry." It was like he didn't really understand how deeply his alcoholism had affected his kids or that they deserved an apology from him. She didn't think that she would ever be able to move on until he did that.

The kids were already out of the car and in the house, hugging their grandma and grandpa, before Katie gathered the courage to get out. Jason was already unloading their luggage. Trying to delay the inevitable, she went around to help him.

"It's not going to get any easier, ya know." Jason admonished.

"I know Jas, it's just hard." Katie sighed. He reached over to hug her. He knew that even though he had been able to come to terms with the past and make a relationship with thier dad, Katie was still struggling.

Katie looked toward the house. Her mom was patiently waiting on the steps.

Smiling, Katie walked toward her, "Hey Momma! It's good to see you!" she greeted her mom with a warm hug.

Katie noticed her dad standing just inside the door. Hugging him stiffly, "Hi, Dad." she whispered.

"Hey, baby girl. It's good to have you home." He greeted her with a sad smile.


The kids came bounding back down the stairs already changed into their riding clothes.

"Grandpa, can we go riding!" Brandon yelled excitedly as he raced through the kitchen out toward the stables. Even though she traveled at a slower pace, Katie could see the excitement on Sophia's face too. She knew the kids really loved it here and had to admit that her dad was wonderful with them. Maybe he had changed, but she knew she needed that acknowledgement from him of how he had hurt them. He looked at her, then turned and walked out the door to join the kids.

Jason and her mom exchanged knowing glances. "Katherine, you really should try to work this out with your dad. He has changed. He is not the same man. And he wants to make things right between you." her mom said with a sigh.

"I know Mom. I'm trying." Katie sighed. Not wanting her mom to see how the pain in her eyes, Katie turned and headed up stairs to take her luggage up to her old room. Her phone rang as she started back downstairs. It was Jon. Katie turned around and went back into her room.

"I'm so glad you called." Katie said.

"Hey, darlin', what's wrong?" Jon asked with concern. He could hear the sadness in her voice.

She took a deep breath trying to hold the tears back. "I'm am sure I am being overly sensitive, but everyone is on my case about my dad today. My mom, and even Sophia, have both scolded me about it."

"Aww, baby, I'm sorry. I wish I was there to lend my support." Jon tried to sooth her.

Katie wiped a lone tear away as she sighed, "Me too. I need to feel your arms around me right now. I miss you so much."

Jason heard the last statement and was a little surprised that she had not mentioned dating someone. Not wanting to be caught eavesdropping he cleared his throat, "Hey Kat, what do you say you and I get lunch?" he suggested.

Katie smiled over her shoulder at him, nodding. "Sure Jas, one minute."

Returning her attention to Jon she said, "Well, I guess I should go. Jason wants to go to lunch. I'll call you later tonight after the kids go to bed. I miss you!"

"I miss you too, baby. I'll look forward to hearing your voice." Jon's deep voice was almost more than Katie could bear. She felt like a part of her was missing when she disconnected the call. Sighing, she headed downstairs to meet Jason.

Shortly after she came downstairs, they headed out for lunch. He was very curious about this new guy Kat was seeing. He was not one to beat around the bush, so he came right out and asked her, "So Kat, who was the guy you were talking to?"

Not surprised that he had overheard part of her conversation, Katie laughed, "You cut right to the chase, don't you, big brother?"

He just grinned at her, "Yeah so, who is he?"

"You not going to believe me when I tell you." she said.

"Why do you say that? Its not like your dating a famous movie star or something, right?" Jason teased.

"Well............not really, but you aren't very far off the mark." Katie replied in all seriousness.

Jason stopped smiling. "Are you serious?" he asked, "Are you dating someone famous?"

"Yeah, he is famous. But you have to promise me you won't say anything. Not even to mom and dad." She said with a threatening look. "We just met a few weeks ago, and are seeing where things go, if anywhere. And with both of us having children we want to keep this as quite as possible until we figure where this is going. Ok?" Katie finished.

"Whoa, ok, Kat. I promise. But are you really dating someone famous?" Jason said, his curiousity raised. He could tell she was very serious.

"Yes. I really am. He is the most amazing man!! He's handsome, sexy, sweet, romantic, and well, just wonderful!" Katie gushed.

Jason couldn't help but smile. It had been a long time since he'd seen her so animated and happy. "So, who is this handsome, sexy, sweet, romantic and all around wonderful man?" Jason wanted to know. "It almost sounds like you love him as much as you love Jon Bon Jovi." He teased.

She was silent for a moment, looking him right in the eye, she said. "It's him."

Jason's mouth dropped open and he looked at Katie not knowing if he should believe her or not. "Holy shit, Kat! Are you serious? Really? No way!! How in the hell did that happen? Where did you meet him?" he was throwing questions at her.

Laughing at his priceless expression, Katie replied, "I swear, Jas!! I did a photo shoot for him, we went out to lunch and one thing led to another. We spend the last two weeks in Rockport and in New York City at his penthouse. It's been an amazing ride and its not over. He is flying down to Nashville next week to do some writing for his new album. We are getting together on Thursday when mom and dad take the kids to Six Flags in Atlanta."

Jason just shook his head, still in partial disbelief.

Over lunch Katie filled him in on the last few weeks. He was having a hard time wrapping his head around the fact that his little sister was dating a world famous rock star. Her most favorite rock star to boot. As much as Jason liked seeing his sister happy he couldn't help but be concerned. He didn't want to see her hurt again. "Kat please be careful here. I know that it is all very exciting right now, but just remember who he is. Ok? I don't want to see you get hurt."

Knowing people only cared about her, it was still getting a little annoying to hear the same thing from everyone. She knew they meant well, but she was a big girl. She was keeping everything in perspective. "I'm going into this with my eyes wide open, Jas. I have no expectations. I know that we both want to continue seeing each other right now. That's all that matters to each of us." Katie assured her brother.

The rest of the week went by uneventfully. The kids enjoyed time with their grandparents, uncle, and cousins. They went riding everyday. Katie enjoyed spending time with her mom. She could feel the tension when her dad was around and as much as she disliked it, she didn't know what to do about it. The highlight of every evening was talking to Jon, his voice being the last thing she heard as she drifted off to sleep.

Author's Note

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just finally caught up. Wow! Loving the story! Keep the chapters coming ladies!
Bayaderra.